Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV1-A to EV2-A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just decided to use Self Power which currently gets me through until 7pm, then I have my Powerwall running until 50% until ~1am. At that point my car is charging from the Grid after 12am. I'm not drawing any power during peak hours with this method and am on average obtaining -15kWh Net Grid Usage.

Is this accomplishing similar goals as Time Based Controls?

Also if I'm on NEM2.0 in California PG&E, are my net grid credits 1 to 1?

I've just decided to use Self Power which currently gets me through until 7pm, then I have my Powerwall running until 50% until ~1am. At that point my car is charging from the Grid after 12am. I'm not drawing any power during peak hours with this method and am on average obtaining -15kWh Net Grid Usage.

Is this accomplishing similar goals as Time Based Controls?

Also if I'm on NEM2.0 in California PG&E, are my net grid credits 1 to 1?
If you are on a TOU plan (Time of Use - different rates for different times of the day) then it likely isn't accomplishing the same thing. You want to use the Powerwalls to get you through the peak rates (and have the solar sent to the utilities during peak rates) and then recharge them during off peak hours.

You get credited for solar at the rate at the time you send it to the utility. So if you send solar to the utility during peak you get credited for the solar at that rate - sort of. There are some nuances and there are non-bypasable charges that you pay when you "buy" your power back.