Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV2-A Plan bill (CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You get on the E-EV2-A plan, think you're set, then get your first bill that's astronomical. You forgot that peak, off-peak, part-peak still applies. Oops. Then you set your charging for 1:00 a.m. Lesson learned hard way, which are always the best lessons
pg&e.jpg

Unless I've got my units mixed up I think that's an easy math.

I use about 225 Wh/mi on the freeway. I'm paying $0.14/kWh. So if I do the gozintas thusly:

225 Wh/mi x $0.14/kWh x 1 kWh/1000 Wh = $.0315 / mi

3.15 cents per mile?

Unless I've got my units mixed up I think that's an easy math.

I use about 225 Wh/mi on the freeway. I'm paying $0.14/kWh. So if I do the gozintas thusly:

225 Wh/mi x $0.14/kWh x 1 kWh/1000 Wh = $.0315 / mi

3.15 cents per mile?
There was a rate increase on 10/1/2019. The Off-Peak price on EV2-A is now $0.16234/kWh Summer and Winter.

For the OP, the more useful bill page is the one that comes a page or two later where it shows how many kWh you used during each rate period, Peak, Part-Peak, and Off-Peak. If you started charging your car as soon as you got home, that's definitely what spiked your bill.

Did you go to the PG&E site and log in and carefully evaluate all of the rate plan choices against your true usage and $$ for the past year? I did. And if you have been on EV-A and have solar, EV2-A is the most expensive plan offered to me. Least expensive is the old tiered rate plan. Next best for me is a basic TOU plan. They have shifted peak and off peak times, and now weekends are just like weekdays on the EV2-A (...lots of 'on-peak' time). Really a no win situation.

Reactions: ucmndd
Did you go to the PG&E site and log in and carefully evaluate all of the rate plan choices against your true usage and $$ for the past year? I did. And if you have been on EV-A and have solar, EV2-A is the most expensive plan offered to me. Least expensive is the old tiered rate plan. Next best for me is a basic TOU plan. They have shifted peak and off peak times, and now weekends are just like weekdays on the EV2-A (...lots of 'on-peak' time). Really a no win situation.

Agree - EV2-A is a really terrible plan compared to EV-A - especially if you have solar. PGE estimator says it's a thousand dollars a year more for me vs. EV-A. Not sure what I'm going to do when my EV-A grandfathering expires in 2021.

EV-A is presently closed to new enrollments. I'll speak to them in the a.m., see if I should switch plans yet again.
PG&E can only give you an estimate for each rate schedule based on your historical consumption data. If you are a new EV owner, you will have to adjust their estimate for your estimated usage based on your expected driving. If you don't have solar and don't use a lot of A/C at home, EV2-A will probably be the cheapest for you if you schedule your charging into the Off-Peak hours. However, if you do have solar, it's more complicated because EV2-A extended the Off-Peak all the way through the morning to 3pm, devaluing solar generation.

Our homes don't even have a/c's up here. Solar, no. And I am doing EV charging at 1:00 am, as I said.

And if I don't have to speak to a corporation at all, it's a better day.
If you show us the part of the bill that shows the kWh used during each time period, we could help you estimate if another plan would save you a significant amount of money. You can also check the rate comparison tool at PGE.com if your historical usage for the last year is representative of your future usage.

Whoopsie!

I just got a notice that the time blocks are changing dramatically in November. Seems suspiciously generous, which would be very unlike pg&e.
EV2-A is actually designed to screw solar owners with net energy metering. They artificially shift peak times to later in the day (which actually aren't peak times for energy usage but are past peak solar production times) so they don'[t have to buy back solar production at peak rates. I'm grandfathered into EV-A for another year and then my benefits of going solar will drop by about 1/3.

Reactions: GenSao and ucmndd