Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AGL’s “Night Saver Energy Plan”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's exactly why I think they're not a great idea. I can see why distributors like them - they reflect the costs the customer is imposing on the network pretty well, but they're too difficult for even quite savvy customers to relate back to the way they use energy. They're just not actionable enough for the end-user.

(Though, relevant to this discussion, software on a house battery could do so - it'd be quite easy for the battery to do something like "try to keep half-hourly demand in the peak window below 2kW")
Thanks for your patience @cafz that has helped me understand the present system a bit better.

Thanks for your patience @cafz that has helped me understand the present system a bit better.
Note that not everyone or even most people are on demand tariffs. There's a wide variety of distributor tariffs, including various phased-out tariffs that some customers might still be on - for home use, there's often flat tariffs, time-of-use tariffs, flat-with-demand and time-of-use-with-demand. EvoEnergy has proposed a tariff that includes an "inclining block" component which is where the first N kWh in each hour costs less than subsequent kWh.

You can see what tariffs your NEM distributor uses by searching for the distributor name and "tariff structure statement" (they have to be submitted to AEMO).

I would personally resist being bluffed into accepting a TOU plan unless your energy usage circumstances make such a plan favourable for you. I don't think it would be favourable for me.
Just quoting myself to add to this: I found Powercor's tariff policy here.

2.3.1 Residential
We will assign the following customers onto a new two-rate time-of-use (ToU) tariff, with a peak period occurring between 3pm to 9pm local time all days and off peak applying at all other times (default ToU):

• New connections (i.e. new homes connecting to the network for the first time, not re-energisations)
  • Customers who choose to upgrade from single-phase to three-phase supply
  • Customers who choose to install or upgrade PV solar or batteries
  • Customers on existing legacy1 or flexible tariffs
  • Electric vehicles and/or electric vehicle chargers once an electric vehicle register or other formal means of identification is available.
So it sounds as though I will be forced onto TOU if I install solar panels, or indeed, if they work out how to know whether I have an EV! Fascinating.

Reactions: Benzz
So it sounds as though I will be forced onto TOU if I install solar panels, or indeed, if they work out how to know whether I have an EV! Fascinating.
They'll assign you to that tariff, but if you check Figure 2 you will still have the option of going to single-rate or demand (their demand tariff has a single-rate for energy plus the demand charge). It does say that once they have access to some kind of EV register that EV owners won't be able to go to the single rate tariff though.

Reactions: Max Spaghetti
A few days ago Ovo reduced their FIT from 10c/kWh to 8c/kWh.

Also, when you look up the “EV Plan” on their website, it mentions the 8c/kWh rate 00:00-06:00, but when you click through to the detailed plan information, no mention is made of the EV rate… whereas it used to previously. The detailed plan information lodged with the Government is what you’d think the ultimate source of truth, so something odd is going on…

A few days ago Ovo reduced their FIT from 10c/kWh to 8c/kWh.

Also, when you look up the “EV Plan” on their website, it mentions the 8c/kWh rate 00:00-06:00, but when you click through to the detailed plan information, no mention is made of the EV rate… whereas it used to previously. The detailed plan information lodged with the Government is what you’d think the ultimate source of truth, so something odd is going on…

They've also terminated a lot of NSW customers, they've sneakily dropped the maximum solar system size from 30kW (as from June when many people signed up...) down to 5kW and are terminating people due to their systems being too big....

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
They've also terminated a lot of NSW customers, they've sneakily dropped the maximum solar system size from 30kW (as from June when many people signed up...) down to 5kW and are terminating people due to their systems being too big....

Well that doesn’t sound very “friendly”. I’ve been looking for a new provider for a while since I’m really getting jack of ████ and Ovo started to look promising… but the interest is rapidly waning.

I checked out Amber on the weekend - a wholesale pass-through provider. Their quote was I’d earn nearly $400 p.a. instead of paying around $1200 p.a. despite my tiny solar array. Presumably this is due to having the PW2 and them wanting to use it to earn FITs up to $14/kWh at times of grid stress.

Anyone on Amber here?

Well that doesn’t sound very “friendly”. I’ve been looking for a new provider for a while since I’m really getting jack of ████ and Ovo started to look promising… but the interest is rapidly waning.

I checked out Amber on the weekend - a wholesale pass-through provider. Their quote was I’d earn nearly $400 p.a. instead of paying around $1200 p.a. despite my tiny solar array. Presumably this is due to having the PW2 and them wanting to use it to earn FITs up to $14/kWh at times of grid stress.

Anyone on Amber here?
Yep, I've been on them almost a month so far and have earned $100 (I have 2x PW).

Definitely a much better option!

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
With the PW you have several options, you can set it to just use your batteries and only export when there's a really good FIT, or you can set it more aggressively and it will take advantage of arbitrage opportunities (the import tarriff on sunny days is usually at 0 or even negative- they pay you to use/charge for a few hours each day).

You can also manually control it whenever you want to override the algo and that sometimes gives even better earnings. Best FIT I've seen so far was a little over $7/KWH but I'm sure as we get into the middle of summer we'll start seeing some great opportunites both in negative usage tariffs and high FIT's.

I have been looking at Amber too. Are you using their software to manage your solar array and batteries or just using the Tesla Powerwall settings via the Tesla app?
I use their App, it's got two 'smart shift' settings.

A more conservative one that kind of acts like the Tesla app, avoids using the grid as much as possible but will export from the powerwall when the FIT prices are really good. (I haven't really tried this one so can't comment too much on it)

The other option is the Earnings Optimiser, which will be more active seeking arbitrage opportunities etc and will discharge the battery up to twice a day maximum (very rare). The algo seems to get better over time but you have full manual control to override anything it is doing and do your own thing which can help get you even better profits.

I have a referral code that'll give you $30 bonus if you try it out, I'll DM you with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
I use their App, it's got two 'smart shift' settings.

A more conservative one that kind of acts like the Tesla app, avoids using the grid as much as possible but will export from the powerwall when the FIT prices are really good. (I haven't really tried this one so can't comment too much on it)

The other option is the Earnings Optimiser, which will be more active seeking arbitrage opportunities etc and will discharge the battery up to twice a day maximum (very rare). The algo seems to get better over time but you have full manual control to override anything it is doing and do your own thing which can help get you even better profits.

I have a referral code that'll give you $30 bonus if you try it out, I'll DM you with it.
Thanks very much.

Reactions: Jules22