Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AGL’s “Night Saver Energy Plan”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking into Amber a bit further I think I might have found a red flag…. part of Amber’s model is to use your PW2’s stored energy to export electricity to the grid when prices are high and you get super-sized FITs - over $1/kWh. Sounds great!

But then I checked my PW2 warranty, and it states that if the PW2 is not used solely for solar self-consumption and backup, which would seem to be the case if one entered into an arrangement with Amber, then the PW2 warranty limit is no longer “unlimited cycles” but 37 MWh of aggregate throughput (charging and discharging).

Currently, my PW2 over the past 4.5 years has had a total aggregate throughput of 26.3 MWh, and its capacity is down to 74.9%. At that rate of capacity decline, it looks like I am nailed on for a warranty replacement within the next 18 months. But signing up with Amber could put any PW2 warranty claim for replacement under significant risk, if I happened to cross 37 MWh throughput before capacity went under 70%?

Am I misreading something here… ?

Reactions: B3AU
Looking into Amber a bit further I think I might have found a red flag…. part of Amber’s model is to use your PW2’s stored energy to export electricity to the grid when prices are high and you get super-sized FITs - over $1/kWh. Sounds great!

But then I checked my PW2 warranty, and it states that if the PW2 is not used solely for solar self-consumption and backup, which would seem to be the case if one entered into an arrangement with Amber, then the PW2 warranty limit is no longer “unlimited cycles” but 37 MWh of aggregate throughput (charging and discharging).

Currently, my PW2 over the past 4.5 years has had a total aggregate throughput of 26.3 MWh, and its capacity is down to 74.9%. At that rate of capacity decline, it looks like I am nailed on for a warranty replacement within the next 18 months. But signing up with Amber could put any PW2 warranty claim for replacement under significant risk, if I happened to cross 37 MWh throughput before capacity went under 70%?

Am I misreading something here… ?
Sounds like it's worth weighing up in your case.

Mine is much older and hasn't dropped in capacity anywhere near as much, so I'm happy to get as much income out of it as possible, I'll just keep monitoring it but so far so good, it's doing maybe an extra few cycles per week but nothing I'm concerned about in the grand scheme of things. With the extra I'm earning now, rather than paying for electricity, I'm happy.

I switched to this plan and received my first bill. It's working extremely well for us. The general usage price is even lower than my previous plan.

1710456865119.png

We are renting at the moment and are using a standard wall socket to charge both cars. Thus, some of the car charging happens outside of the cheaper power window, but most of the power we consume is from the A/C being on most of the day (working from home most of the time, don't have an A/C unit in my office and no insulation). I expect next month will be even better with the days slowly cooling and I don't need to use the A/C on as often.

Reactions: B3AU
I switched to this plan and received my first bill. It's working extremely well for us. The general usage price is even lower than my previous plan.

View attachment 1028053

We are renting at the moment and are using a standard wall socket to charge both cars. Thus, some of the car charging happens outside of the cheaper power window, but most of the power we consume is from the A/C being on most of the day (working from home most of the time, don't have an A/C unit in my office and no insulation). I expect next month will be even better with the days slowly cooling and I don't need to use the A/C on as often.
Wow - who is your provider?

Yeah, but I was getting very different rates for the same plan, so was just curious... mine are more like 35c/KwH and 96c supply charge. Maybe it differs from region to region.

Yes, depends on your distributor. In Victoria for instance we have 5 distribution areas, each charge different prices to the retailer. AusNet, Jemena, CitiPower, Powercor and United.

Not sure exactly how it works in other states an territories.