Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eversource Massachusetts Demand response/Connected solutions for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall a couple of years ago, Eversource allowed Tesla chargers as part of connected solutions. But I don't see Tesla chargers being listed on their website. Has anyone tried to register a Tesla wall charger with Eversource? Or contacted them asking why Tesla chargers were dropped? For some reason, in Connecticut you can participate in this program by your car. You don't even need the charger. But in MA, they don't list allowing cars to register with them. So not sure what is the issue here in MA.

Here is the link for registering in Connecticut:

Where they clearly allow Enrollment with Vehicle Telematics.

I was a part of that program before they terminated it. At the time it was setup as a pilot program with I assume a limited enrollment. I think they shut it down last year. When I inquired why, they indicated it was being redeveloped and would roll out "by summer". No news since then.

I wish they'd bring it back - it worked by having access to your tesla account and would allow access to your charging information. I forget the details, but I think it was more incentive based and didn't actually impact your car's charging. ie. you would earn credits for charging overnight to offset your use, and incentive payments for not charging at all during high demand times. It didn't pay out much, but did result in increased awareness of when to charge that influenced utilization. I could definitely see it evolving to do actual control of car charging speed as well.

Reactions: kayak1
It sucks that Eversource does not have it but national grid has it. I will try to reach out Eversource and try to ask when (and also if) they plan to implement it. I will post back any information I get. Not sure what is the difference between CT and MA. They have this program in CT but not in MA. Weird.

Reactions: PeterK
Currently Eversource is *NOT* accepting any new customers into the Connected Solutions program if you reside in MA (regardless of which EV Charger you have). Here is the actual Message on the Website: "Please note: The ConnectedSolutions EV Charger Demand Response program is no longer accepting new enrollments as of December 31, 2022. We will continue working with our stakeholders to develop our program for the MA EV owners. Please feel free to revisit this page over time to check for new program offerings."

And here is the website link:

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
These sorts of differences are generally not because of what the utilities want to do, but what the states' laws or public utility commissions require or permit them to do, ie, MA may not allow it for some reason.

They definitely have connected solutions for Nest thermostats in MA. I've been enrolled in that for several years now, and get rebates in the form of Amazon or Visa gift cards.

Reactions: Tdreamer
New to the forum as I Ordered a 3LR and the delivery date is 2nd week in Feb. I'm looking at installing the Tesla Charger, are there any rebates or incentives for installing chargers? I already have the wire in the wall from the garage to the panel in the basement, do I still need an electrician?

Also, does eversource provide reduced rates for charging at night or off-peak?

I really appreciate any help you can provide and thank you in advance!

Pretty much NO to all your questions except self install.

Are there any rebates or incentives for installing chargers - No (But can do the federal 8911 form and get $1000 tax credit) Save all the hardware and install receipts.

I already have the wire in the wall from the garage to the panel in the basement, do I still need an electrician - Yes but with caution. Please read about wire AWG requirements, Circuit breaker requirements, Conduit requirements, Distance voltage drop requirements, How many amps to set on connector requirements. Read all that and then decide if you want to do it yourself. A lot of people do it so its not a big deal if you already have the wire installed.

Also, does eversource provide reduced rates for charging at night or off-peak? Not in MA (Eversource sucks and MA DPU is possibly corrupt or is in collusion with them)

Good luck.

Pretty much NO to all your questions except self install.

Are there any rebates or incentives for installing chargers - No (But can do the federal 8911 form and get $1000 tax credit) Save all the hardware and install receipts.

I already have the wire in the wall from the garage to the panel in the basement, do I still need an electrician - Yes but with caution. Please read about wire AWG requirements, Circuit breaker requirements, Conduit requirements, Distance voltage drop requirements, How many amps to set on connector requirements. Read all that and then decide if you want to do it yourself. A lot of people do it so its not a big deal if you already have the wire installed.

Also, does eversource provide reduced rates for charging at night or off-peak? Not in MA (Eversource sucks and MA DPU is possibly corrupt or is in collusion with them)

Good luck.
Thank You for the tax tip on the electric charger! In such a case, I'm going to call the electrician who installed the wire when we built the house to install the charger - better be safe than sorry.

Thank You for the tax tip on the electric charger! In such a case, I'm going to call the electrician who installed the wire when we built the house to install the charger - better be safe than sorry.
If you are calling in an electrician have him run a 60A line and hard wire the EVSE in instead of using a plug. A 60A line will let you get the full 48A that the Tesla Wall Connector can provide. Hardwiring is required for a 60A but it's a good idea for any EVSE connection, it's safer than a plug. EVs draw more current than any conventional appliance and they do it for hours. Cheap sockets have been known to fail, you could use an industrial quality socket but the easiest and safest thing is no socket at all. The big piece of the electricians bill is just for him to show up and do the work, it's not worth it to save money by putting in a 40A line instead of a 60A line. The only reason to go with a lower current circuit is if your panel doesn't have the capacity for a higher current circuit.

Reactions: Tdreamer and kayak1
If you are calling in an electrician have him run a 60A line and hard wire the EVSE in instead of using a plug. A 60A line will let you get the full 48A that the Tesla Wall Connector can provide. Hardwiring is required for a 60A but it's a good idea for any EVSE connection, it's safer than a plug. EVs draw more current than any conventional appliance and they do it for hours. Cheap sockets have been known to fail, you could use an industrial quality socket but the easiest and safest thing is no socket at all. The big piece of the electricians bill is just for him to show up and do the work, it's not worth it to save money by putting in a 40A line instead of a 60A line. The only reason to go with a lower current circuit is if your panel doesn't have the capacity for a higher current circuit.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to hardwire the Tesla wall connector and even looking for alternatives!

Here we go again but if you want to hardwire to get 48 Amp out it, then there are some other considerations about what wire to use, whether it should be in a conduit or not, distance from the panel, etc. Please read posts on the battery and charging board. Lots of opinions and lots of good advice on this. I have learnt a lot reading those. The licensed electricians were not very reliable or consistent in their approach. Good luck. I am also getting it installed in coming weeks.

I called the DPU yesterday, we should all call them and go on record supporting TOU for EV charging.
I spoke at the state house in 2012 on Tesla's behalf when they were looking to open their first store in Natick. It was an uphill battle against the dealership organization.