Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everyone else's maps and navigation working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last 3 days I've been unable to search for a destination or see any maps unless connected to WiFi at home. Definitely have 3G as Spotify is working (as well as usual, anyway). I'm having to navigate with just a blue line and no map background. Its also says something like "traffic info not available". I DID try calling Roadside while driving but they just said its not an emergency and to send a service request on Monday. :rolleyes:

Have tried all the resets, incl. brake and all four buttons but still no joy. Really annoying as I was in London for the weekend going to lots of new places I've not been to before and ended up using my phone as a Sat Nav and having to look down all the time.

Thanks in advance.

Model S on 2019.20.4.2
Nav data: 2019.20.10482

Since the latest update I have noticed incorrect navigation i.e taking weird routes around central London unlike before.
Be happy you're at least getting navigation - its a nightmare without it.

As a workaround use your phone as a hotspot for the car. Remember to turn wifi back on after you move out of P.
Thanks, don't know why I didn't try that. Still want to get it sorted asap though. Guess you've not got the same problem at the mo?

I'm seeing the same thing (in EU, AP1 2015 Model S, same SW version, but it started on Friday on a previous one). Took me until today to figure out that it works while on Wi-Fi and stops working on 3G. Traffic data and search don't work, network connectivity evidently works (Spotify, map loading is OK). Also noticed that satellite map, which I don't normally use, loads as super-low resolution… and offline destination entry is totally broken (mostly showing … instead of what you entered, never finding anything).

Cheers. Good to know its not just me and mine started messing up on the previous version too. You're map is at least loading - I just have a white background with a red arrow plus a blue line if I'm using the navigation. Will pop into my local SC when I can and see what they say.

Any chance that this may be linked to premium connectivity moving to a subscription model. I was told by Tesla that premium connectivity was going to be a (his educated guess) approx £100/year cost going forward on model 3’s and retrospectively applies to older cars. Apparently the wording has been in the customer agreements for ages, just that Tesla have never applied it.

Obviously if it was going to be applied then people should have been contacted, but from I read of Tesla customer focus, nothing would surprise me.

Last edited:
Any chance that this may be linked to premium navigation moving to a subscription model. I was told by Tesla that premium navigation was going to be a (his educated guess) approx £100/year cost going forward on model 3’s and retrospectively applies to older cars. Apparently the wording has been in the customer agreements for ages, just that Tesla have never applied it.

Obviously if it was going to be applied then people should have been contacted, but from I read of Tesla customer focus, nothing would surprise me.
It could be, they announced this would happen for cars purchased after June 30th 2018. Although I imagine this would be done through a software update, not half baked like you are getting now.
Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

Reactions: -DB-
I don't think that's what has happened to my car as mine is a 2015 car plus my music streaming and browser are still working. Judging by my previous experiences with Tesla, I'm thinking this is more likely a fault/bug brought on by the previous update.

Just had a text back from Tesla and they've said:

"The map issue is affecting a number of vehicles and is being investigated by our Engineering Team. A fix will be provided remotely soon."

Not sure what they mean by "soon" but am hoping its not on 'Elon time'.

UPDATE: Mine is working as normal this morning! Full aerial view maps are back along with navigation and searching. :D
Tesla called me about the appointment I have next week and were pleased to hear it was sorted and said they'd had a lot of customers affected by the issue. Hope everyone else's is sorted too.