Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVoffer Powered Frunk for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in case anyone is looking at the EVoffer Powered Frunk for Model Y in Australia.

I'd recommend to think carefully about it. To be honest, it's not just EVoffer, it's any of the powered frunks for the Model Y are likely in same boat.

I just installed the Evoffer on a Y Perf and it was a far from easy process. The issue is on the drivers side (RHD) the ability to change the strut is exceptionally tight and hard, exacerbated by the change from LHD to RHD.

That said it seems to work well once it's done but it's far from a easy job for the RHD markets evidently. It's not a design fault of Evoffer but rather that Tesla seems to design cars for LHD and doesn't really repackage for the RHD markets well.

If you've got a Model 3 it's pretty easy to install as the strut towers are easily accessible, it's just that the Model Y hides them down the sides.

Out of interest, does it open ok? I fitted one to a 3 last week and a friends Y today and they both really spring open, then slow rapidly to complete the opening cycle. The 3 kit was a few months old and the Y kit has the new style of ECU with a different button.

Same, slow pop up and then moves quick.

Admittedly it's pretty good once installed but yeah for the Model Y in Australia (RHD) it's quite a big effort to get installed due to the strut locations. The rest of the install is pretty easy.

So in case anyone is looking at the EVoffer Powered Frunk for Model Y in Australia.

I'd recommend to think carefully about it. To be honest, it's not just EVoffer, it's any of the powered frunks for the Model Y are likely in same boat.

I just installed the Evoffer on a Y Perf and it was a far from easy process. The issue is on the drivers side (RHD) the ability to change the strut is exceptionally tight and hard, exacerbated by the change from LHD to RHD.

That said it seems to work well once it's done but it's far from a easy job for the RHD markets evidently. It's not a design fault of Evoffer but rather that Tesla seems to design cars for LHD and doesn't really repackage for the RHD markets well.

If you've got a Model 3 it's pretty easy to install as the strut towers are easily accessible, it's just that the Model Y hides them down the sides.
I bought mine from Tlyard (‘23 Model Y). They are a China company. Apparently, there is one manufacturer who makes all of them, and several companies sell them. Hansshow seems to be the most well-known, but now even Hansshow has dropped them from their website, or so I’ve been told.

Anyway, my Tlyard purchase has been a nightmare! I watched the installation video. The fact that Tlyard has no installation video that they put out directly should be a red flag. Anyway, installation was a TOTAL PITA! My buddy helped, and if it wasn’t for his tiny wrists, we would have never gotten that driver-side strut released.

We got it working and tested it out about 6-7x, and then we reinstalled the frunk liner and upper shroud. Then, it stopped working. The latch was not working properly. I couldn’t even manually close my frunk, which means I couldn’t drive my Model Y!

There are no after-market accessory installers in my area, so I finally drove 350mi (each way) to a company that said they believed they could do it. Well—they couldn’t. Their technician said he believes the control unit is faulty. That cost me $404 with nothing to show for it. 😬

I’ve been going back-and-forth with Tlyard since they have a 2yr warranty—allegedly, but they’ve been giving me the runaround. I finally just disputed the charge with my CC, which I always try to avoid doing.

I also bought from Tlyard their kick sensor rear lift gate switch, but I met a guy at a Supercharger who told me he installed one and it kept getting tripped when he would go through the automatic carwash, and his rear lift gate would open during the car wash!!!!!!!! I am NOT installing that thing!

• Informative
Reactions: SPadival
I would recommend ev offer. I’ve fitted 3 of their kits and 2 have had frunk lights that weren’t part of the kit. On those occasions the light was interfering with the close switch and they were happy to assist. I also had an early design latch motor which failed and they shipped new parts of via DHL. They may take a day or so, but they do respond via telegram.

any (longer) term reviews of this model? i'm taking a look at the ones sold by hansshow, satonic and yuxi space but unsure of which one to go for.
AFAIK, Hansshow pulled this item and no longer sells it. According to my contact at Tlyard, she said that there is one Chinese manufacturer of this kit and there are about a half dozen Chinese distributors of this product.

I regret buying it and just wish that TESLA would have at least offered a power frunk as an option. I would have paid TESLA extra for this feature.

Reactions: KevinT3141
This toolkit is essential to removing the factory air struts…
IMG_3971.jpeg

Reactions: Leeroy
Have a look for reviews of the Hansshow frunk kit and make your own assessment. They’ve left plenty of people high and dry with wrong part, zero support during install or any after support. I’m sure there’s a few that have been fine, but the consensus is AVOID.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel and THEbuz