Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why you should skip the powered frunk and grab a Satonic soft close frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
I have no affiliation with the company, 'm just a satisfied customer. For $60, this was totally worth it.

Coming from an X with the EVOffer power frunk I knew that manually closing the hood every time was a pain. Prior to the power frunk we'd never open it unless we wanted to store something we didn't want in the main cabin. The EVOffer kit wouldn't latch and opened on me while driving. Overall, it was a good idea that wasn't well thought out or executed. That kit was expensive!

With our Y, I considered a power frunk kit but after doing my research it didn't seem worth the risk. Stuck hoods, hoods that opened while driving, and a tricky install. During my research I came across the Satonic soft close kit and it seemed like a winner. It's a piggyback kit that utilizes the OE latching hardware but adds its own motor to pull the hood into the locked position. Anybody can do the install. It took me about an hour taking photos and video along the way.

Grab one on Aliexpress and skip all these vendors who are just reselling the same product!

Piggybacks on top of the OEM latch.
IMG_2844.jpeg

Kit comes with a nut to secure the power cable. Ground anywhere on the chassis, but there's an existing ground directly behind the power.
IMG_2848.jpeg

Reuse the existing 13mm bolt to secure the motor. Much cleaner and better thought out than "just zip tie it"
IMG_2847.jpeg

There is also this version (similar to one sold by Tlyard) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006156064469.html

And Hansshow has their version out now

These were brought up in another thread: Satonic Soft Close Frunk

These all seem reasonably inexpensive. I actually bought the 2 AE ones. Haven't had time to look at them in depth on their design. And I will have to wait for warmer weather to install one of them. But the Hansshow one intrigues me because there is a manual release cable by the tow hook.

There is also this version (similar to one sold by Tlyard) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006156064469.html

These all seem reasonably inexpensive. I actually bought the 2 AE ones. Haven't had time to look at them in depth on their design. And I will have to wait for warmer weather to install one of them. But the Hansshow one intrigues me because there is a manual release cable by the tow hook.

Hannshow has a bad track record. Lots of power frunks opening when they shouldn't and control units failing. They don't even have a photo of their parts? And for $200? No thanks.

Just ordered the AE one for 2022 MSLR.

Reactions: jj3884
I ordered one from AE. I'll make a video once I have it installed. I use my frunk a lot and I had power struts installed on my previous Model S. After reading all the negative reviews on the power frunk system for the Y I decided against it. This solution seems to be the perfect in between. It automates the nasty part of pushing down on the hood but causes no issues if it fails.

I ordered one from AE. I'll make a video once I have it installed. I use my frunk a lot and I had power struts installed on my previous Model S. After reading all the negative reviews on the power frunk system for the Y I decided against it. This solution seems to be the perfect in between. It automates the nasty part of pushing down on the hood but causes no issues if it fails.

I should have a video up shortly

I have no affiliation with the company, 'm just a satisfied customer. For $60, this was totally worth it.

Coming from an X with the EVOffer power frunk I knew that manually closing the hood every time was a pain. Prior to the power frunk we'd never open it unless we wanted to store something we didn't want in the main cabin. The EVOffer kit wouldn't latch and opened on me while driving. Overall, it was a good idea that wasn't well thought out or executed. That kit was expensive!

With our Y, I considered a power frunk kit but after doing my research it didn't seem worth the risk. Stuck hoods, hoods that opened while driving, and a tricky install. During my research I came across the Satonic soft close kit and it seemed like a winner. It's a piggyback kit that utilizes the OE latching hardware but adds its own motor to pull the hood into the locked position. Anybody can do the install. It took me about an hour taking photos and video along the way.

Grab one on Aliexpress and skip all these vendors who are just reselling the same product!
I’ll probably do this for $60. Sounds like you like the install and the failure mode makes sense — nothing like a hood in your face to ruin the day!