Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV's on Motorweek Today: Hyundai Kona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was the Hyundai Kona. It's the size of a Chevy Bolt which is a 164 inches. The M3 is 185 inches or 21 inches longer. The range is 258 or 18 more miles than the SR+. I don't think they compare, the M3 is a more refined EV not an EV made on an ICE chassis and body. The Kona comes in at $46k and the SR+ without FSD (not avail on the Kona) comes in at $41k. I know the answer already, but I'll ask anyway. Who would pay more for essentially a reconfigured ICE into an EV? Gimme a Tesla any day!

Reactions: DanCar
Who would pay more for essentially a reconfigured ICE into an EV? Gimme a Tesla any day!

The Hyundai Kona does have some advantages over a Tesla Model 3, especially for some people:
  • You note that the Model 3 is longer, as if that's a good thing. That's sometimes, but not always, true. If you have to drive and park in a crowded city, a shorter (and narrower) car can be a good thing.
  • The Kona is a hatchback, which makes it better for carrying bulky cargo.
  • The Kona is taller. I haven't sat in one, but I suspect it's easier to get in and out than the comparatively low-slung Model 3. This may not be a big deal for many people, and in fact a low-slung design helps make a car more energy-efficient; but ease of entry can be important for people who are less than spry.
  • The Kona is eligible for the full $7500 US Federal tax credit, whereas the Model 3 is down to $1875. This factor erases the cost difference you cite as important.
  • The Kona is sold through traditional dealerships, who may negotiate on price. Although it's true that there have been reports of price gouging by some dealers, that's not universal, especially outside of California. A friend of mine in Massachusetts recently bought a Kona EV for less than list price, for instance.
  • Options on the Model 3 add up fast. Depending on what options you want, they might add a lot of cost on the Model 3.
  • The Model 3's controls are polarizing. Most people here either like them or accept their limitations, but some people prefer more conventional, button-heavy controls.
  • Don't understimate the importance of personal preference for things like driving position, seat comfort, etc. Even if you prefer the Model 3 on such issues, somebody else might legitimately prefer the Kona.
  • Tesla is more of a gamble, in terms of both reliability of individual cars and the likelihood that the company will exist in the future.
These are the major items that spring to mind. There are others, but they're either minor or they haven't occurred to me. I've omitted the reasons for favor a Model 3 (I did buy one at about the time the Kona was becoming available, so obviously I am aware of these reasons), and this forum is filled with Tesla cheerleading, so I won't repeat the reasons for favoring the Model 3 for the millionth time. The Model 3 and the Kona are different vehicles, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

I test drove the Kona a couple of times. It was fine. Almost bought one. Close to the price of a model 3.

Then I drove a Model 3.

I almost bought Kona EV myself. It is a nice EV in a crossover shape, but for the same money, Model3 gives you much more.

48599395676_6468e41911_b.jpg

I almost bought Kona EV myself. It is a nice EV in a crossover shape, but for the same money, Model3 gives you much more.

48599395676_6468e41911_b.jpg

Sadly, I haven’t bought a model 3 yet. I am trying to decide if I should wait in the Y for the storage space and hatchback, or go with the 3 and get a bit more range and acceleration.

My Jeep is in the shop as we speak. It might make the decision for me.