Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excess vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 MS 75D 20K - So I've noticed that the last two times I parked the car away from home I lost quite a bit of range each day. The first time I was parked at Laguardia Airport over Thanksgiving. I rolled in at about 45% on Thursday morning (I know I should have charged first but *sugar* happened) and I returned to 20% on Sunday evening. I think it actually shut down and froze at 20% because it should have been lower based on what I saw over the preceding days (I only checked twice). The weather did dip into the low 30's F. Last night I was away from home in upstate NY and I woke up to about 6% loss from about 12 hours earlier. According to Carmic - which is the only third-party app I use (and they swear it doesn't drain or wake the car) I lost 11 miles in the last 24 hours. It did dip to about 30 degrees F last night. I do not regularly check the app and wake the car up (although I don't think this uses as much power as rumored). It seems like a lot and I don't remember ever losing this much before. I always have the latest software. I do have the NY Smart Charge device installed for about 6 months now - which gives feedback to NY state on my charging habits and gives me rewards (I basically charge for free at home). It does not involve any software and as far as I know, takes an insignificant amount of power (it could probably run on a AA battery). Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I do have the NY Smart Charge device installed for about 6 months now - which gives feedback to NY state on my charging habits and gives me rewards (I basically charge for free at home). It does not involve any software and as far as I know, takes an insignificant amount of power (it could probably run on a AA battery). Any thoughts?

It is possible that by polling data too often it prevents the car from going to deep sleep or something, causing it to consume more energy than it normally would while parked. There has to be a reason why FleetCarma posted the following recommendation on the website:

What do I do if I won't be driving my vehicle for an extended period of time?

If you are not planning on driving your EV for an extended period of time e.g. vacation or storing the vehicle for the winter, you can remove the C2 device. Contact FleetCarma so we know that you haven’t left the program. Remember to plug it back in when your vehicle is back on the road to continue to earn rewards.

SmartCharge New York Program Guide