Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expected range 2016 Model S 70

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A local dealer is offering a May 2016 model S, 70, 40k miles on the clock. My main criterion is that I want to be able to visit my daughter, a distance of 199 miles door to door (mainly motorway), without stopping to charge on the way. Would this vehicle be up to the job?

I have read that you can upgrade a 70 to a 75 with a software update. Anyone know whether this is available, and what it would cost, in the UK? What would the upgrade add to the range?

Any insights greatly appreciated.

A local dealer is offering a May 2016 model S, 70, 40k miles on the clock. My main criterion is that I want to be able to visit my daughter, a distance of 199 miles door to door (mainly motorway), without stopping to charge on the way. Would this vehicle be up to the job?

I have read that you can upgrade a 70 to a 75 with a software update. Anyone know whether this is available, and what it would cost, in the UK? What would the upgrade add to the range?

The Model S 70 had an original rated range of 230 miles, so 199 door to door is in the realm of possibility, but somewhat dependent on the current state of the battery and driving conditions on the route. It would be close, and you'd need to have an acceptable charging solution available as soon as you arrived.

The later 70s were in fact software locked 75s - good chance a May 2016 car can be unlocked. The only foolproof way to know is to look at the battery sticker in the right hand front wheel well - an unlockable car will have a clearly marked "75kwh" battery sticker. I'm not sure what the upgrade price is in the UK, but it's $500 in US cars.

The range upgrade bumps the original 230 miles up to 249. You'll get some amount less than that depending on how much the battery has degraded since new.

That would be cutting it too close for comfort. Don't stress yourself. Get a bigger battery.