Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience After 2 Months of Ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 Partial Premium Plus
Delivery 3/23/19
Current mileage 3,800

Online ordering.
Love it. Although you can't hagel and negotiate a lower price I appreciate the implementation of online ordering. You have to submit the requested documents, make sure you have the model 3 on your insurance policy and obtain a loan if you need one.

Trade in.
Although I don't have much experience with trading in a car, I thought that Tesla’s process was smooth and uncomplicated. They gave me a quote based on the vehicle's mileage and the car being in “good” condition. They did however adjust the quote down by about $600 a week later. I don't know if that's what they normally do after you start going through the process of ordering your new car or if it was an honest adjustment to the quote. I can see this tactic working because I was completely done uploading all of my documents and made the financial arrangements for the loan.

When I went to pick up the Model 3 and sign over my trade in, all they did was take a picture of the milage and that was it. I joked afterwards that I could have stripped the car and sold off most of the parts and they still wouldn't have cared. Apparently, it had already been purchased by some wholesaler and it was on its way to auction.

After delivery.
When I took delivery my car had more speakers enabled, it had satellite maps, and the footwell lights worked. After the first update and after the 1 week return window expired, all of those features where turn off, as if on queue. I was completely shocked and unaware that this was even possible. I took delivery of a car that had features I loved and all of the sudden they were gone. Furthermore, I contacted tesla about my features disappearing and after checking my vin # they said it was an error and that the features would be reenable in the next software update. Surprise! They were not re enabled.

Autopilot Trial.
I did not purchase the autopilot because I wasn't sure if it was worth it. I was told that everyone that buys a tesla gets the autopilot to try for 60 days. After about 3 weeks after delivery, I called the service center and they said that it will be included in the next software update. Surprise! There have been 2 software updates and no auto pilot trial.

Partial Premium Plus Upgrade
When configuring my model 3 order, I thought to myself, “For only a $2000 upgrade you get so much.”
  1. Leather seats, alcantara doors

2. Heated seats

3. Power adjustable seats and steering wheel

4. Heated and retracting side mirrors

5. Upgraded center console

6. More speakers

7. LED fog lamps

Surprise! About 3 weeks after I took delivery it turns out that there is no Standard Model 3 and that all Standard Model 3s are actually Premium Plus Model 3s with software limitation. I called the service center as well as the Tesla headquarters and no one was able to give me a straight answer on the differences between Standard and Premium Plus. They also had no clue that Tesla made a statement that anyone who purchased a Premium Plus could downgrade to the Standard and receive a $2000 refund.

I know people say you agreed to pay a certain price for a car and that's what you got but I agreed to pay for an upgrade based on a comparison that never actually existed. That's deceptive, misleading and false marketing. If I were to order one now, I would not opt for the upgrade.

Driving.
Driving this car is really a lot of fun and it's unlike any other car that I have driven. That’s why Tesla gives a 7 days to return the car, because once you accelerate you feel incredible and returning it no longer becomes an option. The only complaint that I have is the wind turbulence that you begin to hear at around 55 mph and it intensifies as you speed up. I have spent countless hours trying to figure out ways to alleviate this problem.

Tesla says that all cars have this sound, you just don't notice it as much because the engine is so loud. That might be the case but this car creates much higher pitched noise around the A pillar and after a long drive it get extremely annoying.

Conclusion.
I know this was more of a negative review but most of the problems are with the company and management than with the car itself.

I really like my Model 3 but when you take Tesla’s inconsistencies and miscommunications into account you really have to debate whether or not it's worth it. I would appreciate my promised auto pilot trial, the features that were turned off, a concrete answer on the differences between the Standard and Premium Plus and a way, if I choose to, downgrade from Plus to Standard. I’m tired of empty promises which at this point feel like downright lies. Self driving by the end of the year… another empty promise I’m sure.

Beware of the cheaper clone roof seal kits, that have broken on several you tube reviews. Best get the real deal at RPM Tesla. More help with wind/road noise here:

First two things going on my Model 3, if it ever gets delivered lol. OP has it nailed. My Tesla sales and delivery (or in my case non-delivery) experience has been pretty poor, fingers crossed the car is great.

Its interesting you mention the adjustment on your trade in value. On Teslas website i was quoted 12,700 for my BMW. once I ordered the car the value was 12,000. Luckily I went to carmax, they offered me 13, and Tesla honored it.

Model 3 Partial Premium Plus
Delivery 3/23/19
Current mileage 3,800

Online ordering.
Love it. Although you can't hagel and negotiate a lower price I appreciate the implementation of online ordering. You have to submit the requested documents, make sure you have the model 3 on your insurance policy and obtain a loan if you need one.

Trade in.
Although I don't have much experience with trading in a car, I thought that Tesla’s process was smooth and uncomplicated. They gave me a quote based on the vehicle's mileage and the car being in “good” condition. They did however adjust the quote down by about $600 a week later. I don't know if that's what they normally do after you start going through the process of ordering your new car or if it was an honest adjustment to the quote. I can see this tactic working because I was completely done uploading all of my documents and made the financial arrangements for the loan.

When I went to pick up the Model 3 and sign over my trade in, all they did was take a picture of the milage and that was it. I joked afterwards that I could have stripped the car and sold off most of the parts and they still wouldn't have cared. Apparently, it had already been purchased by some wholesaler and it was on its way to auction.

After delivery.
When I took delivery my car had more speakers enabled, it had satellite maps, and the footwell lights worked. After the first update and after the 1 week return window expired, all of those features where turn off, as if on queue. I was completely shocked and unaware that this was even possible. I took delivery of a car that had features I loved and all of the sudden they were gone. Furthermore, I contacted tesla about my features disappearing and after checking my vin # they said it was an error and that the features would be reenable in the next software update. Surprise! They were not re enabled.

Autopilot Trial.
I did not purchase the autopilot because I wasn't sure if it was worth it. I was told that everyone that buys a tesla gets the autopilot to try for 60 days. After about 3 weeks after delivery, I called the service center and they said that it will be included in the next software update. Surprise! There have been 2 software updates and no auto pilot trial.

Partial Premium Plus Upgrade
When configuring my model 3 order, I thought to myself, “For only a $2000 upgrade you get so much.”
  1. Leather seats, alcantara doors

2. Heated seats

3. Power adjustable seats and steering wheel

4. Heated and retracting side mirrors

5. Upgraded center console

6. More speakers

7. LED fog lamps

Surprise! About 3 weeks after I took delivery it turns out that there is no Standard Model 3 and that all Standard Model 3s are actually Premium Plus Model 3s with software limitation. I called the service center as well as the Tesla headquarters and no one was able to give me a straight answer on the differences between Standard and Premium Plus. They also had no clue that Tesla made a statement that anyone who purchased a Premium Plus could downgrade to the Standard and receive a $2000 refund.

I know people say you agreed to pay a certain price for a car and that's what you got but I agreed to pay for an upgrade based on a comparison that never actually existed. That's deceptive, misleading and false marketing. If I were to order one now, I would not opt for the upgrade.

Driving.
Driving this car is really a lot of fun and it's unlike any other car that I have driven. That’s why Tesla gives a 7 days to return the car, because once you accelerate you feel incredible and returning it no longer becomes an option. The only complaint that I have is the wind turbulence that you begin to hear at around 55 mph and it intensifies as you speed up. I have spent countless hours trying to figure out ways to alleviate this problem.

Tesla says that all cars have this sound, you just don't notice it as much because the engine is so loud. That might be the case but this car creates much higher pitched noise around the A pillar and after a long drive it get extremely annoying.

Conclusion.
I know this was more of a negative review but most of the problems are with the company and management than with the car itself.

I really like my Model 3 but when you take Tesla’s inconsistencies and miscommunications into account you really have to debate whether or not it's worth it. I would appreciate my promised auto pilot trial, the features that were turned off, a concrete answer on the differences between the Standard and Premium Plus and a way, if I choose to, downgrade from Plus to Standard. I’m tired of empty promises which at this point feel like downright lies. Self driving by the end of the year… another empty promise I’m sure.
I’m also had wind noise entering through that triangular seal near the driver side tweeter. I could put pressure on the slightly buckled seal with my finger and the excess wind noise would go away. I showed the SC during a test drive. They replaced the seal and all is well.

Regarding the wind noise, you can buy a wind noise reduction kit to help with the cabin noise (see link below), its only about $11. Saw some reviews and it looked promising. I'll probably buy this when I get my M3.

Wind Noise Reduction Kit for Tesla Model 3 (Quiet Seal Kit)

I bought this and it helps a little for the wind that gets caught by the edge of the glass roof but it does nothing for the A pillar noise. Definitely worth getting but doesn’t solve the problem completely.

Beware of the cheaper clone roof seal kits, that have broken on several you tube reviews. Best get the real deal at RPM Tesla. More help with wind/road noise here:

First two things going on my Model 3, if it ever gets delivered lol. OP has it nailed. My Tesla sales and delivery (or in my case non-delivery) experience has been pretty poor, fingers crossed the car is great.

Installed this but noticed that water started to get trapped in the door after it rained. One time literally a cup of water spilled out of the door when I opened it. I think this is because I went to the service center to get the driver side door adjusted so that it would close without having to slam it. I thing the door adjustment made the door close too tight and with the seals at the bottom of the door the water wasn’t able to drain out.

I have to say that the seals absolutely help with wind turbulence and road noise.

I have been using the term wind turbulence because Tesla service center classifies wind noise as a whistling sound, when air actually gets into the cabin.

• Informative
Reactions: ölbrenner
Its interesting you mention the adjustment on your trade in value. On Teslas website i was quoted 12,700 for my BMW. once I ordered the car the value was 12,000. Luckily I went to carmax, they offered me 13, and Tesla honored it.

I traded in a Honda Accord 2008 which was falling apart and carmax would never have offered me what Tesla offered if they had fully inspected the car. Even with the lower offer I was still happy. Honda basically wanted what the car was worth to repair it.

I will never buy another Honda as long as I live.

I traded in a Honda Accord 2008 which was falling apart and carmax would never have offered me what Tesla offered if they had fully inspected the car. Even with the lower offer I was still happy. Honda basically wanted what the car was worth to repair it.

I will never buy another Honda as long as I live.

Tesla offered you what a WHOLESALER was willing to pay for it.

Tesla doesn’t resell used Honda’s.

I won’t ever get an ICE if I don’t have to. If I did, Honda is one of the best of them.

When a person says minivan, they actually mean Odyssey.

• Funny
Reactions: ammulder

Wholesale used car prices fluctuate alot over the weeks depending on how many of a car model and condition of it are available at the time (mileage and overall condition). Thus explains the adjustments as the time to "turn it in" gets closer and the car gets bought from Tesla from the wholesaler. Carmaxx on the other hand doesn't have a middleman so sometimes will offer more.

At the time we traded in our Camry for our Model S, Tesla gave us a lower quote (was maybe a month out from delivery however) and when we were a week away we took it in to Carmaxx for an appraisal. They were higher and Tesla was able to match it at that time so we just went with Tesla at that point out of convenience.

Now when I was ready to get rid of my 2001 Toyota Avalon with somewhat lower mileage that average and still decent condition and no rust but with repaired accident damage, Carmaxx really didn't want it as it was older than what they would buy so only offered $1000. Kind of floored as we expected more and kind of based on our previous Camry experience with them. We could have sold it on our own for more than that if we wanted to put the time in and go to DMV with the potential buyer but in the end decided it wasn't worth it if it didn't sell quickly. Sure the car still had many more miles to go on it though and someone likely got a decent older model car if it didn't get sold for parts.

Last edited: