Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience from a new Tesla owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel obligated to share my experience as a new Tesla owner coming from the ICE world. Tesla cars are very sophisticated but can easily be overwhelming when you are newly arriving to this world. The most important rule to remember is, this marvel of engineering is still a car and the priority number one of a driver is to drive. I almost had a bad reminder of this rule yesterday when my attention went to the central console for a very short period and got me to almost run through a red light. Very lucky this incident had no consequences but it sure gave me a VERY STRONG reminder that this car is different and should be treated as such.

It would be nice if Tesla would allow better control of the central screen, like Voice Control (“Display Rear Camera at Bottom” or “Display USB artists” as those very simple operations are requiring multiple precise clicking that can get your attention away from the road. A second suggestion would be to have different screen layouts (in your profile) accessible by names and selectable by voice (“Highway” with GPS and energy graph or “City” with GPS and Rear Camera).

For all new drivers like me, please take my advice and remember that your new Tesla is still a car even with all of its Bells & Whistles. My incident yesterday gave me a VERY STRONG lesson on how to properly drive a Tesla. I hope this will also help you to have safe drives.