Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New ‘23 Model X, long term Tesla owner. Some questions…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It never did on my three prior Teslas that had ultrasonic sensors. They were within 3 inches and rock solid. Same with my Rivian.
It’s mainly due to all the crap in my garage. I pull in, and it starts ”seeing“ stuff all over my garage. It jumps around from 12 to 33 and values in between. Now it is generally repeatable, so I‘ve gotten used to the wacky dinging.

Both of these are related to Tesla removing the ultrasonic sensors and (planning to replace /) replacing them with software functionality based on camera input instead. The proximity alerts were just added a few months ago, so hopefully that should improve rather quickly.

The doors are still our biggest frustration going from a 2016 X to a 2023 X. It is ridiculous that they can actually sell the cars like this, it honestly feels broken, especially when you know how they're supposed to work. Crossing my fingers this will be fixed within the next few months.
Agreed.

Dumb question, but how exactly are folks opening their doors to get in? It only opens a few inches, so I find myself prying it open, with resistance and without a door handle to grab. Seems weird.

Agreed.

Dumb question, but how exactly are folks opening their doors to get in? It only opens a few inches, so I find myself prying it open, with resistance and without a door handle to grab. Seems weird.
Not a dumb question at all.

There are no doors handles on the X so you have to get the door to partially open and then grab the top of the door and pull it the rest of the way out. And someone's fight the resistance.

Welcome to TESLA'S advanced engineering.

A few rockets in space, even a roadster in space.
A few giga plants around the world.
TESLAS are on just about every continent around the world.
Supercharger network AROUND THE WORLD!
CAN'T FIX MODEL X DOOR OPENING ISSUE
+ A GAZILLION OTHER SOFTWARE ISSUES ON THE REFRESH
+ more and more.

Welcome to TESLA'S advanced engineering.

-stew

Team,

First of all, thank you for all the great input. Second, my apologies for the radio silence on my own thread. I forgot to turn on email notifications and wasn't aware there was so much activity here! I suppose it's the 'update waiting game' for now. I have a tight garage and *really* need Summon to be functional. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Best to all,
Dale

What was wrong with leaving systems in place that worked? Remember the rain sensing wiper fiasco? Simple rain sensors have been on 15,000 VW’s for years that work almost perfect, but not so on a $100k Tesla, cuz Tesla knows a better way to do it. Same with ultrasonic sensors that have been used forever and work well. I don’t have a problem with making something better, but let’s not get rid of the old way until the new way IS ACTUALLY BETTER! I swear Elon must have stock in the camera companies and only the camera companies. LOL

There was a post or blog or something from Tesla saying the new MX refresh doors will only open to 10 degrees where the original MX they could do 45? Yes, I agree it probably has to do with lack of the USS and vision still being in its infancy. Coming from a 2016 MX to the new 2023 MX it does feel like going backwards, but I'd like (naively) thing that the vision system will get better.

Reactions: rpo
This is because your (I think 2017?) MX has the door sensors. Tesla removed them with no backup system in place a year ago and now the doors don't auto open, but they still have the electric motors fighting you. It's ridiculous.
I’m wondering if my 2023 MX (9/23 build) does something ode with the doors. The driver door just pops open a few inches like everyone says it should. However, the passenger door pops open and if you give it a small amount of input (a pull or bump) to let it know your there and want it open, it continues to open automatically all the way. Is that normal? On the driver side it never does it. In fact, I most times feel resistance when manually swinging open the driver door. Driver door is never very free moving feeling.