Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience getting flat replaced at SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caught a flat this weekend in my MYP, which I had previously changed from the summer Pirellis to the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport AS. Roadside assistance had it towed to the SC, and right after I paid the invoice, I realized that it indicated they replaced the flat with a summer Pirelli, which means I have three Michelins and one Pirelli.

Called them immediately, and was told they don't stock the Michelins and that it's "fine" to run three of the Michelin all seasons and one Pirelli summer.

Anyone else have this experience? I'm a little dumbfounded - didn't think twice about paying the invoice, because I stupidly assumed they would use the same kind of tire.

I have replaced a couple of rims and tires due to flats at a Tesla SC, but they were for my model 3P. I keep summer tires on my car year round, so this was not an issue for me.

They should have told you that they did not have the appropriate tire, vs putting on a summer tire to go with your all seasons. That might be "fine" for a drive from where you have a flat to a tire location as an emergency solution, but just like a spare "doughnut" is not appropriate for anything other than to get you to a tire store to buy an appropriate tire, mixing summer and all seasons should be considered an "for emergency only" situation.

If it were me I would heavily push back on that, meaning I wouldnt accept it. I might even try to source the tire somewhere else and ask them to put it on, since its OEM, but I wouldnt accept "its fine", for anything other than an in an emergency situation.

Tesla SC people sometimes say some questionable stuff, but this is right up there.

Called them immediately, and was told they don't stock the Michelins and that it's "fine" to run three of the Michelin all seasons and one Pirelli summer.

I always heared that tires should be identical on a given axial, including having a similar mil;eage.

Note: You should submit this question to Customer Report or Tire Rack to and check what answer you will get.

If Customer Report or Tire Rack advise to have identical tires, then open
a Tesla ticket including the reply you received and request getting the correct tire.

Update: Got to the SC and immediately talked to someone onsite, they were as confused as I was. Agreed to change out the Pirelli after confirming they DID actually have the Michelins... then the mechanic pulled the car around and noticed the new tire actually was a Michelin in the first place. In other words, they screwed up the invoice, but the tire was changed correctly. Disaster averted! Funnily, they tried to correct the invoice and somehow accidentally changed it to Pirelli winters, so I just gave up and left.

Caught a flat this weekend in my MYP, which I had previously changed from the summer Pirellis to the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport AS. Roadside assistance had it towed to the SC, and right after I paid the invoice, I realized that it indicated they replaced the flat with a summer Pirelli, which means I have three Michelins and one Pirelli.

Anyone else have this experience? I'm a little dumbfounded - didn't think twice about paying the invoice, because I stupidly assumed they would use the same kind of tire.

never-use-tesla.jpg

How very strange to go through that much back and forth without once actually looking at the car.
Me or Tesla? I was 100 miles away from the SC, getting ready for Christmas day. Partner had to pick me up when the car got towed to the SC. And so when I noticed the Pirelli on the invoice, I immediately called them -- and rather than looking at the car, they told me they didn't stock the Michelins.