Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exporting to grid when Powerwalls not fully charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm noticing something weird today. My Powerwalls are at 69% charge but there is considerable amount of solar production being exported to the grid instead of all of the excess going to the Powerwalls to recharge. Seems to be happening pretty consistently throughout the day. Anyone have the same issue and know what's going on? Thanks.

How many powerwalls, how much solar, and are the PWs recharging using some of the solar? Perhaps they are hitting a limit on recharge rate.

Cheers, Wayne
2 Powerwalls. Right now solar production is about 4KW, of that 2.5KW is going to Powerwalls to recharge (Powerwalls currently at 73% charge), 1KW exported to grid, and 0.5KW used by home. I didn't know there was a limit on Powerwall recharge rate, but I'm sure it's much higher than 2.5KW. I've never seen this happen.

Sounds like you've eliminated the obvious possibilities. Maybe just double check the configuration hasn't been incorrectly changed as a side effect of a firmware update, and then file a bug report?

Cheers, Wayne
Yup thanks. Seems like it's back to normal now so was only like that for few hours today. Nevertheless I called Tesla to investigate. Said they'll get back to me in ~10 days.

Mine has been doing weird stuff like that the last few days. I logged into the Gateway and I could see one of my four Powerwalls was cycling between charging and discharging and thus sending power out to the grid even though they weren't fully charged. I just reset everything so we'll see how it acts tomorrow.

Last time I had techs out to 'fix' something, they clearly just reset the system (or updated the firmware) and that corrected whatever anomaly was present.

Mine has been doing weird stuff like that the last few days. I logged into the Gateway and I could see one of my four Powerwalls was cycling between charging and discharging and thus sending power out to the grid even though they weren't fully charged. I just reset everything so we'll see how it acts tomorrow.

Last time I had techs out to 'fix' something, they clearly just reset the system (or updated the firmware) and that corrected whatever anomaly was present.
Good luck. Resetting did nothing for my system.