Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended demo drive experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 Model Y Long Range, Tesla owned with 2500mi, in service March 2023.

Pros:

-Much improved fit/finish since last time visiting, however horizontal adjustment for drivers side center vent output inoperative.
-Outstanding stereo.
-Supercharger charge time from 0mi to 175mi in 15 minutes.
-Revised suspension is comfortable and compliant even on 20" wheels.
-Cabin comfort is good and quiet.
-After tax credit out the door price is $47,500.

Cons:

-Exterior door handles are frustrating to operate.
-Autosteer is dangerously inaccurate, stops at green lights, chooses the wrong lane, panic stops for no reason... Research indicates this is due to using camera only input starting a few months ago since sonar sensors are being removed.
-Autosteer cannot be set over 80mph.
-Steering wheel lacks capacitive touch and requires constant pressure not just touch to keep driving assistance active.
-Unable to integrate android auto / car play with the car so no waze or apps were accustomed to.
-Handling is adequate, but understeers quicker than expected... This may be resolved on the performance model.
-Achieving rated range is not possible at posted highway speeds even in ideal conditions with light load... We saw the rated 245kw/mi only at 60mph, 70mph returned 310kw/mi and 80mph was 350kw/mi or greater... this means if you drive 80mph and charge the vehicle from 20% to 80% so it charges the quickest you Will travel about 150mi before needing to recharge.
-Noting the above since supercharger is .40 per kWh you would spend $19.44 to travel those 150 miles vs $24 for PREMIUM in a gas vehicle that returned 25mpg.

Conclusion:

If you install charging infrastructure at home for $1200 do it yourself and pay .16 per kWh charging at home at night off peak you would save $1300 at 12000 total miles in the first year vs a gas vehicle with an overall average of 25mpg on PREMIUM.

The out the door price has to be considered here, despite the flaws that will improve over time, charging at home and infrequent long trips can make this cost effective... However for us consdering the poor tech integration and unusable driver's assistance system that is inferior to BMW's 4 year old system that we have been using, we cannot make the switch.

-Autosteer is dangerously inaccurate, stops at green lights, chooses the wrong lane, panic stops for no reason... Research indicates this is due to using camera only input starting a few months ago since sonar sensors are being removed.
Do you mean Autosteer as part of the standard Autopilot or as part of FSD? Standard Autopilot doesn't have stop light/sign recognition so I'm thinking your test car has FSD?

I subscribed to FSD earlier this month and while I agree that it's basically unusable in city streets, I've found that it worked well with stop lights/signs and is pretty excellent on the highway.

Do you mean Autosteer as part of the standard Autopilot or as part of FSD? Standard Autopilot doesn't have stop light/sign recognition so I'm thinking your test car has FSD?

I subscribed to FSD earlier this month and while I agree that it's basically unusable in city streets, I've found that it worked well with stop lights/signs and is pretty excellent on the highway.
Yes this car had FSD enabled. It was mostly OK highway but again significantly less accurate than the BMW implementation on my m850i and previous m340i.