Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I have the wrong Tesla and I kinda hate it, lol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was louder? Wind? Tires? How old is the M3P? Comparing my MY LR vs my M3 LR, my M3 was substantially quieter. The Y had the 19" all season Conti's and the 3 the all season Michelin.
I could feel more road noise coming up from the bottom. Reminded me of a 3-series BMW I owned years ago. It wasn’t problematic, just louder than my Y. And it was a later model 3 on 19 inch wheels (vs. my MYP on 21”).

Interesting comment about the road noise. I found my Y was louder as it had the big booming open cavity in the rear only sealed by that thin board. Having the trunk sealed from the rest of the car made my 3 quieter than my Y. Even with the S being similar to the Y (hatch and no trunk), it is quieter than either car.
Agreed. I’ve owners a couple of Model 3s and a Model Y and the Y felt much louder. More of a cavernous, tinny sound due to the openness of it where as the 3 just feel smaller and quieter to me.

I will add, I test drove the S and X LR last week and vastly prefer my 3 LR. X was a creaky, wobbly mess and the S wasn't nimble.

I also test drove a Porsche Taycan 4S and GTS. 4S felt anemic compared to my 3. GTS is much better, however, but not worth 3x the cost of a 3. Particularly with their 0-60 times being with Launch Control, which is not daily driving.
I just test drove a 2023 MS LR and I thought it was amazing! The ride quality is much more luxurious and the speed is on another level at all speeds. Where the Y/3 seem to lose steam at higher speeds, the S felt strong everywhere.

That is the beauty of the MS LR and the Plaid. They don't fade at high speeds. A M3P will beat the MS LR to 60 mph on almost any give day assuming it has at least 50% charge. The MS LR doesn't really care what the state of charge, how many runs you've done, it just doesn't fade, but either through gearing for through software, the MS LR is slower to 60 than its power would indicate.

It is far quicker 60-130 than the M3P is. Not even funny how easily it will start to run away from the M3P from about 40 mph on up. How the MS LR runs away from the M3P, the Plaid does that again to the MS LR.

It is far quicker 60-130 than the M3P is. Not even funny how easily it will start to run away from the M3P from about 40 mph on up. How the MS LR runs away from the M3P, the Plaid does that again to the MS LR.
The problem is that those are "go directly to jail" speeds in my state (Virginia) so that's mostly useless to me. I have a wife and two kids, can't be driving around like an idiot anymore. I'll take the M3P 0-60 and cash in the bank all day. When I test drove the Model S it felt so big like I was driving a boat. Honestly the Model 3 is too big and heavy, but again two kids who needed more room in the back than my old car drove that decision.

The problem is that those are "go directly to jail" speeds in my state (Virginia) so that's mostly useless to me. I have a wife and two kids, can't be driving around like an idiot anymore. I'll take the M3P 0-60 and cash in the bank all day. When I test drove the Model S it felt so big like I was driving a boat. Honestly the Model 3 is too big and heavy, but again two kids who needed more room in the back than my old car drove that decision.
Chalk up the point "can't drive like an idiot anymore" to why I'm driving a Y and not my S anymore lol

Reactions: ODWms
I am in Texas. A lot easier to enjoy those speeds, or at least a portion of them legally. Not to mention having ventilated seats in the S is a godsend here. I hate getting in my 3 every day when it is hot out.

I hear you about Virginia though. I spent enough time in Virginia "evading" police that I don't think it will ever be safe for me to go back there. By now I am likely past the statute of limitations I would think.

I'm in Vegas, a lot like Texas (lots of Texans moved here), if you're going 60 you should be in the right lane. There is too much construction going on here so the air suspension was enjoyable. I have my wife and just one kid and am a sensible adult but sometimes speed is needed. :)

My mom bought the M3LR because it looked more like a real car and less ugly to her. Ironically, I've been driving it more than she has lately because she's been having back and leg problems and it's hard for her to get in and out of it. She's been driving our GMC pickup instead. I don't know how I survived traffic in our small town without the acceleration in that car. It's not even the performance one! I absolutely love Casper. He's the best car I've ever driven and the closest I've ever seen to having a car like K.I.T.T from Knight Rider.

So I have a 2022 Model Y Performance Red/White that I love. I upgraded from a 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range.

Currently mine is in a collision shop being repaired and I've been renting a Y from Hertz the last couple months. My vehicle is still our of commission and I had to do another rental but they didn't have any Y's available so I got a 2023 Long Range Model 3 (~356 miles range).

I freaking love the car. I forgot how low the Model 3 was compared to the Y (I had a 2019 Model 3 SR+ for a little bit for awhile back in 2019). It's like a go cart or something. It seems like aerodynamics hardly affect the car... energy usage at 65mph vs 85mph is barely anything at all! I cruised home 200 miles north of 80 most the way... a bit north, and when I pulled in at home after 211 miles I still had 10% battery left!!! My Y always requires a charge or I'm rolling in between like 1% and 5% battery left... and that's if I stay steady at 70 to 75mph. It feels like if you push it towards 80mph you're up near 375 wh/mi or more, the Model 3 was around 305 wh/mi, and again I was absolutely sending it.

Then I look at the price of a Performance 3 and factor in the tax credit....

Do I have the wrong car? Do I need to trade in?! LOL

More realistically I feel like I need a second car. I like having the extra room of the Y since I'm a single car family, if I have anything somewhat large I'm happy I can just toss it in the Y...

But the 3 is 100% the drivers car and I miss that fun sporty feel! (and the Y Performance isn't exactly "boring")

Based on prices I might seriously buy the Model 3 Long Range as a second car if it still was 350+ miles range... an 80kWh battery would DOMINATE (likely 260 miles at high speed interstate travel!) and it kinda kills me that they switched to LFP cells! I would love to cruise between my home in Eastern WA and Seattle or Portland without stopping and still have enough charge when I got into the city to casually make it to a charger.
I started my Tesla journey with a 2019 M3AWD. My wife and I loved its sporty nature, and, with the Acceleration Boost option, i was able to put down my son's Mustang GT - to his embarrassment. However, I'm a large old fart, and my wife is my age. I always had to drop into the driver's seat, and she had to stoop to get in, which pained her some. So, I brought home a MY to drive for a day, and we both realized that getting into and out of it was MUCH easier. Just park your butt, then swivel in. No dropping into the car. The MY is the model we should have purchased to begin with - but it wasn't available!

Different strokes for different folks.

The Y looks like a 3 stretched vertically. My wife once commented on my model 3 looking much nicer than one of her co-workers and she assumed it was maybe the red color just looks better on the car. Turns out her co-worker owns a Y. The model 3 isn't a beauty but from certain angles it's pretty clean and has an aerodynamic profile. The Y looks like model 3 with a weight problem.
As a 'senior citizen', I think of the MY as a young woman (M3) that's filled out in her aging process (MY).

Reactions: heavyD and brianbcc
I've been running the numbers.... Tesla is suggesting they would give me $38k to $40k as a trade in for my Performance Y which would drop that Performance 3 to like $15,700 before credit... after credit it's $8,200....

-Hate that there isn't a HEPA filter (PNW smoke etc)
-Dislike the size; again coming from a single car owner the Y is nice to have on the off chance of a large item

-Pro/Con; Lower to the ground means it feels so connected and just sporty. Lower to the ground means worse snow performance (Most years we get like 4 inches of snow once or twice and it lasts a few days, every now and then we get a foot or two and it lasts two weeks...)

-Love that the efficiency seems so huge, again, it's like speed barely affects it so what you get at 60 you basically get at 70 and again pretty much the same at 75
-Even faster than the Performance Y and I think it looks a little better...

Oh boy...

Wish it had HEPA, wish it had hardware 4.0, wish it had matrix headlights, then I would be REALLY leaning towards it
Interesting options that you want. You can get HEPA CABIN filters for both cars, and retrofit HEPA to the MY for under $300 if you shop carefully. Someone in the Parts section has that setup for less. H4.0? I'm with you on that one. And you must mean something different when you talk about 'matrix'' headlights. There are some aftermarket ones that have the individual lights in them if that's where you want to go.

My previous cars were a Miata, a Civic Si, and an E55 AMG, so I am very glad I got a Model 3. As others have said, I do have moments where I could use the extra utility of the Y, but those are rare, and 95% of the time I get to enjoy the driving dynamics of my 3.

I just got back from a big road trip that included a long stretch over the Cascade Mountains in central Oregon, a lot of twisty mountain roads with high speed flowing sweepers. The 3 really was a treat to drive. I would have been kicking myself if I was in an SUV.

Interesting options that you want. You can get HEPA CABIN filters for both cars, and retrofit HEPA to the MY for under $300 if you shop carefully. Someone in the Parts section has that setup for less. H4.0? I'm with you on that one. And you must mean something different when you talk about 'matrix'' headlights. There are some aftermarket ones that have the individual lights in them if that's where you want to go.
That is what matrix means, individual LEDs inside the housings... I didn't think any Model 3 had them yet.... I don't even think long range Y has them, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't really want to mess around with the HEPA cabin filter, I want the big bioweapon defense HEPA one.

Model Y is an aberration. It’s a mod of the M3 that sacrifices all the advantages of the platform. Just go buy a Ford Edge or some other ICE SUV.
Beg to differ on that. I have both and while the M3 is cleanly the better dd, the Y’s interior space, exterior visibility, practicality and performance numbers are still a damn good package.

This pic says it all in terms of a huge advantage :) camping anyone?

IMG_9984.jpeg