Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I have the wrong Tesla and I kinda hate it, lol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 2022 Model Y Performance Red/White that I love. I upgraded from a 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range.

Currently mine is in a collision shop being repaired and I've been renting a Y from Hertz the last couple months. My vehicle is still our of commission and I had to do another rental but they didn't have any Y's available so I got a 2023 Long Range Model 3 (~356 miles range).

I freaking love the car. I forgot how low the Model 3 was compared to the Y (I had a 2019 Model 3 SR+ for a little bit for awhile back in 2019). It's like a go cart or something. It seems like aerodynamics hardly affect the car... energy usage at 65mph vs 85mph is barely anything at all! I cruised home 200 miles north of 80 most the way... a bit north, and when I pulled in at home after 211 miles I still had 10% battery left!!! My Y always requires a charge or I'm rolling in between like 1% and 5% battery left... and that's if I stay steady at 70 to 75mph. It feels like if you push it towards 80mph you're up near 375 wh/mi or more, the Model 3 was around 305 wh/mi, and again I was absolutely sending it.

Then I look at the price of a Performance 3 and factor in the tax credit....

Do I have the wrong car? Do I need to trade in?! LOL

More realistically I feel like I need a second car. I like having the extra room of the Y since I'm a single car family, if I have anything somewhat large I'm happy I can just toss it in the Y...

But the 3 is 100% the drivers car and I miss that fun sporty feel! (and the Y Performance isn't exactly "boring")

Based on prices I might seriously buy the Model 3 Long Range as a second car if it still was 350+ miles range... an 80kWh battery would DOMINATE (likely 260 miles at high speed interstate travel!) and it kinda kills me that they switched to LFP cells! I would love to cruise between my home in Eastern WA and Seattle or Portland without stopping and still have enough charge when I got into the city to casually make it to a charger.

Last edited:
The advantages of the 3 over Y in highway efficiency is larger in real life than what the official range figures say.

The 3LR is the best model right now. To me the thin 20" tires on the P is a downgrade: expensive fragile tires, expensive fragile wheels and a hard ride. And significantly lower efficiency: the 3LR is amazing.

I saw a rumor & picture that maybe the refresh 3P will have 19" wheels as has been used in China. If that's the case then 3P is a good option again for regular use.

The model Y basically sacrifices almost everything that's good about the model 3 for a raised ride and extra interior space. It's uglier as well.
My kid thinks the Model Y looks like a Model 3 with an alien brain. I agree, the only reason to get the Y is higher sitting level or storage space (if you want those things) as it is less fun to drive and overall an uglier car.

Model 3 Performance with coilovers is the greatest all around car I have ever owned and it isn't even close. Looks great, handles great, is as fast as a Ferrari, and more efficient than a Prius.

So I have a 2022 Model Y Performance Red/White that I love. I upgraded from a 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range.

Currently mine is in a collision shop being repaired and I've been renting a Y from Hertz the last couple months. My vehicle is still our of commission and I had to do another rental but they didn't have any Y's available so I got a 2023 Long Range Model 3 (~356 miles range).

I freaking love the car. I forgot how low the Model 3 was compared to the Y (I had a 2019 Model 3 SR+ for a little bit for awhile back in 2019). It's like a go cart or something. It seems like aerodynamics hardly affect the car... energy usage at 65mph vs 85mph is barely anything at all! I cruised home 200 miles north of 80 most the way... a bit north, and when I pulled in at home after 211 miles I still had 10% battery left!!! My Y always requires a charge or I'm rolling in between like 1% and 5% battery left... and that's if I stay steady at 70 to 75mph. It feels like if you push it towards 80mph you're up near 375 wh/mi or more, the Model 3 was around 305 wh/mi, and again I was absolutely sending it.

Then I look at the price of a Performance 3 and factor in the tax credit....

Do I have the wrong car? Do I need to trade in?! LOL

More realistically I feel like I need a second car. I like having the extra room of the Y since I'm a single car family, if I have anything somewhat large I'm happy I can just toss it in the Y...

But the 3 is 100% the drivers car and I miss that fun sporty feel! (and the Y Performance isn't exactly "boring")

Based on prices I might seriously buy the Model 3 Long Range as a second car if it still was 350+ miles range... an 80kWh battery would DOMINATE (likely 260 miles at high speed interstate travel!) and it kinda kills me that they switched to LFP cells! I would love to cruise between my home in Eastern WA and Seattle or Portland without stopping and still have enough charge when I got into the city to casually make it to a charger.
Get the Model 3 Performance and sell the ugly Uberturbines. Then go buy some lightweight 19s that you like. I see inventory P3Ds going for like $51k on the website right now and are eligible for the full $7500 credit. For $44k net you could have an 11 second car thats cheaper to operate than a Toyota Corolla no matter what size rims you decide to run.

I recently got an X but my Model 3 (AWD + accel. boost) hasn't been sold yet. Part of my REALLY wants to keep it for that low the close to the ground and tight cornering feel. Plus it has the FSD package I got at low $$ back in the day (skipped it / EAP for not at least on the X.) But ultimately the math on upgrading was selling, so it doesn't make fiscal sense – especially since, practically speaking, we don't need two vehicles.

Love the X so far, but can totally see where this sentiment is coming from!

Get the Model 3 Performance and sell the ugly Uberturbines. Then go buy some lightweight 19s that you like. I see inventory P3Ds going for like $51k on the website right now and are eligible for the full $7500 credit. For $44k net you could have an 11 second car thats cheaper to operate than a Toyota Corolla no matter what size rims you decide to run.
I've been running the numbers.... Tesla is suggesting they would give me $38k to $40k as a trade in for my Performance Y which would drop that Performance 3 to like $15,700 before credit... after credit it's $8,200....

-Hate that there isn't a HEPA filter (PNW smoke etc)
-Dislike the size; again coming from a single car owner the Y is nice to have on the off chance of a large item

-Pro/Con; Lower to the ground means it feels so connected and just sporty. Lower to the ground means worse snow performance (Most years we get like 4 inches of snow once or twice and it lasts a few days, every now and then we get a foot or two and it lasts two weeks...)

-Love that the efficiency seems so huge, again, it's like speed barely affects it so what you get at 60 you basically get at 70 and again pretty much the same at 75
-Even faster than the Performance Y and I think it looks a little better...

Oh boy...

Wish it had HEPA, wish it had hardware 4.0, wish it had matrix headlights, then I would be REALLY leaning towards it

They both look the same. LOL
The Y looks like a 3 stretched vertically. My wife once commented on my model 3 looking much nicer than one of her co-workers and she assumed it was maybe the red color just looks better on the car. Turns out her co-worker owns a Y. The model 3 isn't a beauty but from certain angles it's pretty clean and has an aerodynamic profile. The Y looks like model 3 with a weight problem.

The Y looks like a 3 stretched vertically. My wife once commented on my model 3 looking much nicer than one of her co-workers and she assumed it was maybe the red color just looks better on the car. Turns out her co-worker owns a Y. The model 3 isn't a beauty but from certain angles it's pretty clean and has an aerodynamic profile. The Y looks like model 3 with a weight problem.
username checks out

@acarney a car is always going to drive better than its CUV counterpart if your prefer performance and handling over capacity and a softer comfort ride. The question you need to ask yourself is during all the time you owned a Y how often did you need the extra space a CUV provides. If the answer is rarely then you may be better off with the upcoming all new 2024 Model 3. Since its the only car in the family, you may want to ask how the rest of your family feels about it also.

HW4 and upgraded cameras have already been confirmed to be put in the latest production units of Model Y hitting the streets so the Model 3 can't be far away now. Honestly I would considering buying a 2023 M3 with HW4/high-res cameras with the current discount promotions even knowing the new M3 will be bigger, but I would not consider HW3 and the low res cameras at this point.

Reactions: buckets0fun