Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I have the wrong Tesla and I kinda hate it, lol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm biased, and also haven't driven all of the models that Tesla makes... AND I'm sure to draw flames with this comment... BUT - the Model 3 is the best car Tesla makes.

I had a service tech take mine for a drive with me in the passenger seat, and those were his words... he literally said "this is the best car we make", and although I know he was speaking about "we" as in Tesla, my opinion is that it could very well have been "we" as in humanity.

Now I don't mean to say that the 3 is perfect, or that Tesla is perfect, or that I haven't had my gripes about some aspects of both, but overall the Model 3 is the world's best car
…for 40-50k usd …

Without regard to price, my opinion is that it's the world's best car. But sure, it wouldn't win the "best car for $20k" category.

With the federal tax credit, the RWD is about $33k. Jan 1 that becomes a point of sale discount.
It really is the best car but those fringe cases (ground clearance, 7 seats, cargo room, hatchback needs) brought me to the Y.. which is still a dern efficient vehicle..

Reactions: DocHolliday
If my 3 had ventilated seats, was about a second quicker to 60 mph and in the 1/4, I'd rarely drive my S. While the Y shares a lot with the 3, I think Tesla claims 70-80% for part sharing, I'd say it is only half as good as the 3. ;) It feels much more like an appliance to me than the 3. The Y was something that looked great on paper for me but didn't keep my interest. If you want a 7 seat refrigerator, it is hard to beat. The 3 engages me almost every time I drive it.

Reactions: coug77
If my 3 had ventilated seats, was about a second quicker to 60 mph and in the 1/4, I'd rarely drive my S. While the Y shares a lot with the 3, I think Tesla claims 70-80% for part sharing, I'd say it is only half as good as the 3. ;) It feels much more like an appliance to me than the 3. The Y was something that looked great on paper for me but didn't keep my interest. If you want a 7 seat refrigerator, it is hard to beat. The 3 engages me almost every time I drive it.
We appropriately named ours the Prius since it's closer to that than a sports car

Project highland takes the M3 to an even better level to be enjoyed by new buyers soon.
Not envious as I have a Jan 2023 M3RWD and very happy, but glad to see Elon is staying competitive as its getting tougher out there, Hyundai, Volvo, etc.
We all are happy that the EV adoption S curve is starting to climb.

Reactions: Jsch223
My dad briefly had a MYP and I have an M3P. For how similar the cars should be on paper, the truth couldn't be any further apart. The 3 legitimately handles well. It's no BMW M3, but if you generally like the feel of the German sport sedans, you won't feel too far from home in the model 3. I do wish Tesla had a performance tier that came with a greater degree of suspension enhancements (stiffer bushings, ball joints where appropriate, more aggressive alignment, that sorta thing), but that's just not their MO.

The suspension on the Y on the other hand just could not keep the body in control whether accelerating, turning, or braking. I felt like I was constantly fighting the car. Someone earlier brought up a 3-series vs X3, but it's not really the same. The X3 can still legitimately drive well. Not 3-series level, but it doesn't feel like it has broken suspension either.

My dad briefly had a MYP and I have an M3P. For how similar the cars should be on paper, the truth couldn't be any further apart. The 3 legitimately handles well. It's no BMW M3, but if you generally like the feel of the German sport sedans, you won't feel too far from home in the model 3. I do wish Tesla had a performance tier that came with a greater degree of suspension enhancements (stiffer bushings, ball joints where appropriate, more aggressive alignment, that sorta thing), but that's just not their MO.

The suspension on the Y on the other hand just could not keep the body in control whether accelerating, turning, or braking. I felt like I was constantly fighting the car. Someone earlier brought up a 3-series vs X3, but it's not really the same. The X3 can still legitimately drive well. Not 3-series level, but it doesn't feel like it has broken suspension either.
Yet it's the best selling car in the world.. nobody cares

Probably because of the Chinese sales. I am sure in the US alone the F150 is still probably crushing it.

I wouldn't say it is selling purely on how good it is (or isn't) but more about being a Tesla and there is still some magic to the marque so to speak in other countries.

Then again if I cut the snot out of pricing on a Yugo, if it was cheap enough, it might become the best selling car too. I'll take the approach that there are a lot of lemmings in the car market who follow what others do regardless of what they do. Let's call it the herd instinct.

Tesla cut prices enough on the Y that more of the herd could follow. That doesn't make it the superior vehicle.

So I have a 2022 Model Y Performance Red/White that I love. I upgraded from a 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range.

Currently mine is in a collision shop being repaired and I've been renting a Y from Hertz the last couple months. My vehicle is still our of commission and I had to do another rental but they didn't have any Y's available so I got a 2023 Long Range Model 3 (~356 miles range).

I freaking love the car. I forgot how low the Model 3 was compared to the Y (I had a 2019 Model 3 SR+ for a little bit for awhile back in 2019). It's like a go cart or something. It seems like aerodynamics hardly affect the car... energy usage at 65mph vs 85mph is barely anything at all! I cruised home 200 miles north of 80 most the way... a bit north, and when I pulled in at home after 211 miles I still had 10% battery left!!! My Y always requires a charge or I'm rolling in between like 1% and 5% battery left... and that's if I stay steady at 70 to 75mph. It feels like if you push it towards 80mph you're up near 375 wh/mi or more, the Model 3 was around 305 wh/mi, and again I was absolutely sending it.

Then I look at the price of a Performance 3 and factor in the tax credit....

Do I have the wrong car? Do I need to trade in?! LOL

More realistically I feel like I need a second car. I like having the extra room of the Y since I'm a single car family, if I have anything somewhat large I'm happy I can just toss it in the Y...

But the 3 is 100% the drivers car and I miss that fun sporty feel! (and the Y Performance isn't exactly "boring")

Based on prices I might seriously buy the Model 3 Long Range as a second car if it still was 350+ miles range... an 80kWh battery would DOMINATE (likely 260 miles at high speed interstate travel!) and it kinda kills me that they switched to LFP cells! I would love to cruise between my home in Eastern WA and Seattle or Portland without stopping and still have enough charge when I got into the city to casually make it to a charger.
I added a hitch on my 3 and I have a 5’x8’ trailer. More space than the Y and all the great driving of the 3

Reactions: coug77
I added a hitch on my 3 and I have a 5’x8’ trailer. More space than the Y and all the great driving of the 3
That is the approach I took when I lived in Europe. I had a fun sedan, with a hitch, and used it to tow a trailer when I actually needed the additional space. The extra size of the CUV/SUV is detrimental when you don't actually need it.

That is also why I think Europe had a lot more hatchbacks than the US as they are more versatile. I wish they'd made the 3 as a hatchback. I grew up in the era of the hot hatchbacks.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I dunno if you're going for the best selling car in the world it is the most superior

If you're going for handling.. not so much
The Toyota Corolla has long been the best selling car in the world up until recently but that doesn't change the fact that the Honda Civic has always been a far superior car. Best selling anything rarely means it's the best product in its market segment.