Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Pride Shattered!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EVs can miserably fail while driving on the highway creating a life threatening hazard. There is no any sort of backup system. For example the aircraft can fly on a single engine if one fails. They also have numerous power source backups.

On the other hand the ICE is less likely to fail out of nowhere.
That’s such a lame statement.

Do ICE have backup systems? You say less likely, but is that really backed up by real world numbers? Isn't it really just a perception issue?

On just one car, I’ve had a spark plug almost literally blow out the engine*, an axle snapped**, the engine tried to unmount itself*** and of course be subjected to an airbag recall****.

*The spark plug issue did end up blowing out the engine of others who owned the same model of car. For me, knocked itself loose and ruined the threads that were holding it and melted the coil above it. I had to fix it with a threaded insert, after initially attempting to fix it bu replacing and retightening the spark plugs multiple times. This caused it to sputter once on the highway, luckily most other (worse) instances caused by this happened on slower local roads…. unfortunately, dying out in the middle of traffic at least once.

**The axle snapped because it used a piece of rubber (either as a balancer or to cover the balancer), that ended up holding water which would eventually corrode through the axle. Left my car sitting many hours until a tow truck could pick it up. I had to use my sister’s car for delivery work the rest of the evening. Imagine hearing a loud bang and losing all power to the wheels as you’re trying to cross an intersection unprotected (ie, oncoming cars don’t have traffic signs/lights to stop them). Let me tell you, makes your heart skip a beat (or two).

***One of the engine mounts cracked and eventually needed a side part of the engine to be replaced. Until I got it fixed the car seemed like it would shake itself to death anytime I tried to accelerate.

****And finally, there’s the issue of airbags. You know, the one that could actually kill your if it deployed. All because it would send shrapnel sharp enough to cut through skin and nick an artery if it hits just the right spot. Awesome that.

I’ve had other issues too, but are all cars like that? Of course not. This was a 2010 Honda Fit. Honda isn’t just some 5 year old startup, it has a fairly long history behind its established name. I still love that car. But *sugar* will still happen.

Like I said at the start, it’s a perception issue.

Yeah, all kinds of stuff breaks on ICE vehicles too we just don't panic as much when we read about them because they aren't new tech. When I was researching Hyundai Santa Fe hybrids there were a couple of people on reddit that had the car keep dying on them randomly while driving -- it was scary reading about this but obviously this was an extremely rare failure. I don't think either ICE or EVs have much redundancy if a critical part fails (unlike Jets mentioned earlier in this thread).
Total failures of several kinds on Hyundais and Kias over the last decade are not rare at all. No other brands compare. Hyundai and Kia's Decade of Very Troublesome Engines Continues.

The same thing has happened to me, all these people saying this can happen with any car don't realize it is such a safety hazard and I see lots of people complaining about it issue. The car will only take 1-2 minutes to stop, which is serious when you are on a highway with your family. Please reach out to NHSTA and repot this to them. My confidence in the whole brand has shattered. I can't recommend Teslas anymore.

The same thing has happened to me, all these people saying this can happen with any car don't realize it is such a safety hazard and I see lots of people complaining about it issue. The car will only take 1-2 minutes to stop, which is serious when you are on a highway with your family. Please reach out to NHSTA and repot this to them. My confidence in the whole brand has shattered. I can't recommend Teslas anymore.
Sorry to hear that but these days all cars are heavy on “electronics” right from the gear shifter to digital screen. Most of the car manufacturers have removed mechanical parts like knobs and physical buttons inlieu of touch screen buttons, these evolution is early in stage so most of the ICE cars have equal chance of failure.

I’m talking from my experience , I have 2023 BMW X7. It is an ICE car very good car but I hear lot of complaints of car failure on the freeways because of software glitch or failure of an electric component. Feel free to check those forums if needed.

I have been using Tesla since 2018, I had model S before. I did have few issues with it but had similar issues with ICE cars as well. I contemplated before buying MYLRAWD and the conclusion was unless I buy old car (built purely on mechanical parts) I better off with Tesla because they have sorted out most of the issues.