Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended test drive of Toyota RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... My friend went to the nearest dealer in the evening of our test drive and put a deposit on one. It took me a couple days more to get the fever. ... I also put a deposit down a few days later ....

It was the best drive of the SM Alt Car event. They got a double header with you guys. Hope they see sales spikes like that in all the towns they hit on the tour.

Thanks for all the details and pics, Chris!

How much "coaching" was included or offered when you picked up the RAV4-EV for rental? Agree that not having any EVSE included means missing out on one of the big EV advantages - filling up while parked at home.

There was some coaching on the basics of the screens, but not a lot. The sales rep had attended an hour-long course on the car and had previously test-driven one. That said, he is very much an ICE guy that is working to be more familiar with EVs, and there were areas that I was already more informed than him. This isn't a knock on him, but I've test-driven a Model S, a Nissan Leaf, a Chevy Volt, and the Focus Electric, as well as obsessing about EVs in general for a while now. There are a number of little detail questions I'd like to get some answers to, but finding knowledgable people at the local dealership has been a challenge. As an example, a sales rep at the Huntington Beach Toyota dealership told me that she didn't think the Rav4EV would be for sale in California.

Thanks for all your details!

What is your verdict?
Is it a buy, a lease or not considering for now?

For me, it's a buy, not a lease. I'm hoping that this is a vehicle that lasts for many years, and an outright purchase makes a lot more sense for me. With my Model S refund, the sale of my wife's 2005 Prius, some other savings, and the tax credits, I'm hoping to only end up financing about 23k on long term financing. (I understand that I won't get the federal credit until I file my 2012 taxes).

Talked to the wife tonight and she's on board with the purchase as well. I think we might be full-steam ahead here! :biggrin:

I am a newby here, but I drove a RAV4 EV at the Alt Car Expo in Santa Monica which I attended with a friend. My friend went to the nearest dealer in the evening of our test drive and put a deposit on one. It took me a couple days more to get the fever. The RAV4 EV did rock my world. I had just completed the conversion of a 1973 VW Super Beetle and was figuring that I needed my existing ICE SUV for the occasional day trips that I take that are around 100 miles. The RAV4 EV caused me to reexamine that assumption. I also put a deposit down a few days later and hope to get one before year end so I can take advantage of the tax credit.

My friend and I both have solar panels on our roofs so our increment energy costs are zero. I love the simplicity of driving my Super Beetle and the incredible torque I feel when I pull away from a signal or stop sign. I live in a small beach town in Southern California and there are several free parking charging stations that I have used, not for range extension, but for the free parking which is always a rare thing in my little town. I think the RAV4 EV will be the perfect complement to my other EV and I am excited about the idea of not being dependent on gasoline for locomotion.

If you call around, there are dealerships that have them in stock right now. No need to go onto a waiting list. I got an email from the Tustin Toyota dealership and they have one of the blue ones in stock for sale.

Today's little irony.....
I did a google search of "Toyota Rav4EV Community" to try, once again, to find a cool community of folks like I've found here on TMC, but more focused on the Rav4EV. This thread came up as the 7th item in the search results. Gotta love TMC.

Today's little irony.....
I did a google search of "Toyota Rav4EV Community" to try, once again, to find a cool community of folks like I've found here on TMC, but more focused on the Rav4EV. This thread came up as the 7th item in the search results. Gotta love TMC.

You're better off here. I did the same thing, and only found this http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/ with only 8 members and pretty much no conversation going on. Where are all the other 60 some people who bought one in September?

Back in the days of the old RAV4EV, a good chunk of sales and leases were from two dealers:
Toyota of Hollywood & Toyota of Palo Alto.
Basically they had one dealership handling most of LA, and one handling most of SF bay area.
(Sure there were more, but I think those 2 were the most vocal)

So we are back in "limited availability", "limited release" with the new RAV4EV, and I see special stuff (like the Rental) happening in SoCal.
So, I went over to Toyota Palo Alto to check how they are doing. They just built a new showroom and I assumed that the RAV4EV would be featured there. Well, disappointment. The sales guys said "no one rents a RAV4EV, and we can't even let you test drive one."
I showed them this thread so at least they know the rental is real, but they really don't seem to be doing much to get more people into this car.
(They did mention that they have sold a few though, but I think those must have been pushy customers that demanded to be sold one.)
I think Toyota is doing more with charge-to-charge than the individual dealers are doing.

My guess is that many dealerships just see this as a fleet sales opportunity...

I am slowly getting the impression the rav4 ev is a better proposition then the model S 40kw! Surely after you count the cost of Tesla-servicing!

Remember that the Model S is only $7,500 more. Which is a lot, but you get more range. A much nicer interior. And a bit more performance. And there are people out there that hate SUVs/Trucks/Crossovers because they sit up high. Well there is at least one person.

I have found 1 major drawback for the Rav4 EV comparing it to the S40 kw. CHARGING!!

The only connector that Toyota supplies is a 120V portable J1772 connector. (I will post photos later) It is woefully slow, taking a whopping 44 hours to charge the 40 kw battery (standard charge). There is no 240v portable option available. It charges fine with my converted TS-70 from Clipper creek using all 10 kw it is able and charging in 4 hours, but it severely limits your options when charging is needed away from your home base.

Example: I wanted to do a trip from San Luis Obispo to King City. 89 miles, and doable in the Rav 4 EV one way, charging there, and returning. There is only (1) J1772 EVSE in King City! If it is inoperable, or occupied, I am stuck there. If a Nema 14-50 to J1772 portable EVSE were available there are several options that I could charge at.

Last edited:
I have found 1 major drawback for the Rav4 EV comparing it to the S40 kw. CHARGING!!

The only connector that Toyota supplies is a 120V portable J1772 connector. (I will post photos later) It is woefully slow, taking a whopping 44 hours to charge the 40 kw battery (standard charge). There is no 240v portable option available. It charges fine with my converted TS-70 from Clipper creek using all 10 kw it is able and charging in 4 hours, but it severely limits your options when charging is needed away from your home base.

Example: I wanted to do a trip from San Luis Obispo to King City. 89 miles, and doable in the Rav 4 EV one way, charging there, and returning. There is only (1) J1772 EVSE in King City! If it is inoperable, or occupied, I am stuck there. If a Nema 14-50 to J1772 portable EVSE were available there are several options that I could charge at.
If you could get your hands on a model S UMC for $500(tesla's price for an extra one for model S owners), it would be very easy to covert it to from a TS2 to J1772 end. All of the signaling is the same, and the pinout diagrams are readily available. The only catch would be getting Tesla to sell you one before taking delivery of a Model S.

If you could get your hands on a model S UMC for $500(tesla's price for an extra one for model S owners), it would be very easy to covert it to from a TS2 to J1772 end. All of the signaling is the same, and the pinout diagrams are readily available. The only catch would be getting Tesla to sell you one before taking delivery of a Model S.

Thats a great idea! I was thinking of a Roadster UMC, but at $1500 plus plug adapters it gets a little pricey. I can deal with the Rav being a local car for awhile and will ask for a 2nd model S UMC.

I bought an EV Link t Home Depot for $750 and originally hardwired it to the wall. I have a converted VW convertible and just took delivery of a RAV4 EV to replace my Toyota Highlander. Now that I have the RAV I will need more charging options so I am in the process of rewiring the EV Link to be powered through an extension cord. I can then take it with me and move it to different parts of my garage to charge either car. I am trying to find 8 GA cable and related plugs. Those things are not readily available at the local HD or Lowes so I am hitting to local electrical supply house on Monday

I took some screen shots of the remote applications for the Rav4 EV I picked up last night I thought everyone would enjoy.

Rav 4 EV 002 small.jpg

Below is the menu available from my I phone 4S

Rav 4 EV 006.PNG

Rav 4 EV 010.PNG

Charging application shows range, battery state, remaining charge time, and allows delayed charge setting. When not actively charging the remaining charge time changes to time to be finished charging to allow a delayed charge. It takes about 1 minute to connect to the car and begin the display.
Rav 4 EV 004.PNG

Remote activation of the environmental controls has a 15 minute timeout when activated.
Rav 4 EV 008.PNG

Charge station maps leaves a little to be desired, I prefer regargo, or plug share.
Rav 4 EV 005.PNG

GPS showing where your car is works perfectly and is extreemly accurate.
Rav 4 EV 009.PNG

An ecology Dashboard shows how green you are driving!
Rav 4 EV 007.PNG