Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Worth it? One year 4k 50k Miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a timely thread for me. I'm also approaching 50k miles on my S85 delivered 09/2014 when Autopilot hardware started being incorporated in all cars. Early on I had a 12V battery warning which led to replacing that and the main pack, a center screen that got replaced, plus one bad door handle. Most other things have been minor issues like interior rattles. Not sure if my car's more or less reliable than the average.

I'm debating back and forth on the ESA. Additional concern is getting rattles fixed as they come up in the years down the line. I guess I could buy the tools to pry panels open and fix those myself, but what a hassle. Not sure if that's practically covered by the ESA anyway. That said with the amount of driving I've done the extra coverage would last me only 2 years at this rate.

Just to be clear, we didn't pay for any of the work because we did buy the extended warranty. However, only about $9k would have been covered by the drivetrain warranty, and without the $4k extended warranty the remainder ($13k) would have been our expense.
$13k would be a big deal for me. to summarize, is the extended warranty mainly for the owners who can least afford the car?

What about the stuff non covered by the extended warranty? I heard there are many exclusions.

Just to be clear, we didn't pay for any of the work because we did buy the extended warranty. However, only about $9k would have been covered by the drivetrain warranty, and without the $4k extended warranty the remainder ($13k) would have been our expense.
What in the world did the $13k consist of and how many miles did the car have on it when this happened? Any chance you can share their part list with labor for those of us trying to make our decision? This is probably the worst/biggest out of pocket expense I've seen thus far for anyone with a MS out of (standard) warranty

Last edited:
Reactions: Petra
At 45k miles, 2 years 9 months, I have 5k miles left on my original warranty. I just had an onboard charger failure that was fixed yesterday that would have cost me over $2k if it was out of warranty. I had a failure of the car's modem a few months ago that would have cost me about $600 if not in warranty.
Q: If I get the extended warranty, and then trade in this MS in 1.5 years for the M3 I have reserved, will Tesla give me any credit for the remaining warranty? not likely, right ?

My 2013 S 85 history since I bought the car in August 2013 (3 years ago yesterday):

• Drive unit replaced.
• Drive unit replaced again.
• Drive unit replaced yet again (now on its fourth drive unit in 3 years).
• New parking brake connector covers.
• A/C compressor acoustic cover and bracket replaced.
• Many squeaks and rattles had to be dealt with in 2013.
• Panoramic roof creak; did maintenance repairs.
• Rear left door handle replaced.
• Replaced UMC adapter
• Underbody shield installed
• Replaced 12V battery
• Replaced LH sill panel in left front door
• Cleaned and lubricated and calibrated pano roof.
• Driver's seat replaced (it was loose or something!)
• More panoramic roof creaks required more maintenance/repairs
• Repairs to rear base and recessed corners of LH/RH arch liners
• Charge port replaced.
• Charge port replaced again.
• Charge port and charge port door replaced a third time.
• Corrected nozzle aim on windshield washer jets
• Right front passenger door handle replaced.
• More pano roof creak repairs.
• Rear arch liners modified
• Power switch updated and re-certified
• Installed updated HVAC drain tube
• "Small piece of excess casting material from factory discovered in driver front steering knuckle" that was causing tambourine sound, i.e., factory junk they didn't catch during Q/C; had to be removed; shop foreman chuckled, said he'd never seen anything like it!
• Left B pillar fabric replaced
• Two center elbow rests replaced
• First, second, third annual service done
• Replaced actuator - front passenger temperature A/C
• Entire heater replaced (I had no heat in car from Nov 2015 thru Feb 2016, after 16 hours of Ranger labor on-site at home)

Don't get me wrong, I love love love love love this car, best car purchase I have ever made. As of Aug 30 2016, car is at 48800 miles. Um, yeah: I am buying an ESA. :)

Further clarification when I picked up my car today with new master onboard charger, and nothing required but my signature.

I was all set to pay for the extended warranty, but my service rep told me that since the clock starts ticking on the residual value of the extended warranty on eventual trade-in as soon as I purchase it, I should wait until just before I run out of miles on the original warranty, which will be at least two months, now almost 46K miles. I get no credit for remaining miles on the current warranty. I know and have met many tesla owners, and I have heard many tales of major work being required, not just power train, and not just very early vehicles. The door handles, the power tailgate, the adjustable suspension, the main display, the car's cell modem, etc all seem to be at risk of eventual problems. For me, the extended warranty is the way to peace of mind.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
My 2013 S 85 history since I bought the car in August 2013 (3 years ago yesterday):

• Drive unit replaced.
• Drive unit replaced again.
• Drive unit replaced yet again (now on its fourth drive unit in 3 years).
• New parking brake connector covers.
• A/C compressor acoustic cover and bracket replaced.
• Many squeaks and rattles had to be dealt with in 2013.
• Panoramic roof creak; did maintenance repairs.
• Rear left door handle replaced.
• Replaced UMC adapter
• Underbody shield installed
• Replaced 12V battery
• Replaced LH sill panel in left front door
• Cleaned and lubricated and calibrated pano roof.
• Driver's seat replaced (it was loose or something!)
• More panoramic roof creaks required more maintenance/repairs
• Repairs to rear base and recessed corners of LH/RH arch liners
• Charge port replaced.
• Charge port replaced again.
• Charge port and charge port door replaced a third time.
• Corrected nozzle aim on windshield washer jets
• Right front passenger door handle replaced.
• More pano roof creak repairs.
• Rear arch liners modified
• Power switch updated and re-certified
• Installed updated HVAC drain tube
• "Small piece of excess casting material from factory discovered in driver front steering knuckle" that was causing tambourine sound, i.e., factory junk they didn't catch during Q/C; had to be removed; shop foreman chuckled, said he'd never seen anything like it!
• Left B pillar fabric replaced
• Two center elbow rests replaced
• First, second, third annual service done
• Replaced actuator - front passenger temperature A/C
• Entire heater replaced (I had no heat in car from Nov 2015 thru Feb 2016, after 16 hours of Ranger labor on-site at home)

Don't get me wrong, I love love love love love this car, best car purchase I have ever made. As of Aug 30 2016, car is at 48800 miles. Um, yeah: I am buying an ESA. :)

WOW! I hate to jinx myself posting a counter point to this...but...wow.
My list looks like this.
  • Rear passenger door seal replaced - little bit of a leak.
  • New driver's seat on its way because it squeaks a little bit (I'm don't wear athletic cut shirts).
  • Driver's door handle fixed (not replaced...just fixed the harness).
  • End of list.
34,400 miles on my 2014 S85.

For those who drive high miles (I push 25,000 miles per year), I think the consensus here is what I would opine. The ESA is spendy for a short coverage period plus per-visit deductibles. I have already decided I'm passing. I'm also in the car for the long haul. I intend to drive it for the full 8 years of drive-train warranty and then give it to a family member. Depreciation is only a concern for people who don't drive all of the car's miles...so it's not a concern for me.