Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

advice on extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think extended warranties are definitely worth it on luxury cars. Prior to my Tesla, I had a Benz and 2 BMW's. The extended warranties definitely paid for themselves with those ICE cars.

Now, a Tesla supposedly needs less repairs than ICE cars. But as you can attest, when something does break, the warranty is definitely worth it. $300 difference is not much, so I would recommend the 3 year warranty.

And if everyone used the warranty, the company would be out of business. But they take in enough to pay for all the repairs, pay for salaries, and turn a profit.

Not a statement of good or bad. Just reality.

Some choose to self insure and win, some lose.

I never get warranties, but I did go for the Xellerate battery warranty this time around. Hoping can recover a good bit of the cost if/when I sell.
We appreciate your membership @brkaus ! We hope you dont have to use it... but XCare is here if you do! Happy driving!
-Team XCare

• Love
Reactions: gcashiel
The warranty paid for an infotainment upgrade? As in MCU1 to MCU2?
They did, but only because Tesla Service recommended an upgrade after troubleshooting my MCU 1 and deeming it unusable. My screens started going black, but sounds and music would still play so i was unable to use the touch screen portion. it would also freeze unexpectedly and reset 2-3 times on my way to work ( 30-50 min drive). I think its cheaper to upgrade to MCU 2 instead of replacement to another MCU 1 computer. Also have to note i have the FSD computer already in my car so im not sure if thats part of the reason it was cheaper?

lets just say the 0-60 time is a much needed feature for my foot ;). I think I get around 7-9K miles on a set of tires.

Yeah. I'll give fair odds that you track your car, which is an excellent example of why anecdotes are just not useful for people trying to decide whether to buy an ESA. Does an ESA allow track use, or are such owners escaping notice of the terms of use ?

Yeah. I'll give fair odds that you track your car, which is an excellent example of why anecdotes are just not useful for people trying to decide whether to buy an ESA. Does an ESA allow track use, or are such owners escaping notice of the terms of use ?
I don't track the car, i just have a heavy foot. My car is 100% stock and i don't like wasting my money on unnecessary things that depreciate in value. I also don't buy the most expensive set of tires that the tire shop recommends. I cheap out and go with literally the cheapest set I can find because I'm not worried about road noise, range, and looks of the tires. I Believe the last set of tires I bought for the car were from walmart and they cost me a whopping $240 for the rears lol.

I don't track the car, i just have a heavy foot. My car is 100% stock and i don't like wasting my money on unnecessary things that depreciate in value. I also don't buy the most expensive set of tires that the tire shop recommends. I cheap out and go with literally the cheapest set I can find because I'm not worried about road noise, range, and looks of the tires. I Believe the last set of tires I bought for the car were from walmart and they cost me a whopping $240 for the rears lol.

Fair enough, although I'll still contend that the ESA 'made sense' for you as an outlier owner. The flip side is that the ESA seller better hope that not too many drivers in their pool of insured are like you or they are going BK.

My last set of tires cost me $1,093.11 installed and balanced. Walmart may carry them if you like their service. I run Firestone Indy 500's 245/40R-20.

• Helpful
Reactions: gcashiel
My MS will be 6 years old in June and my Tesla extended warranty will expire. The vehicle has 42,300 miles on it. I love this car and can not afford to replace it with another MS. I can get another 2 year, 67,000m comprehensive warranty (Xcelerate) for $3500 or 3 year, 78000m for $3800.
Any advice on yes or no for this? I realize that this is basically an insurance policy, but I dont really know what costs I could face in the next 2 or 3 years. My last extended warranty definitely paid for itself.
Thanks.
You have a 2018 just like me. Doesn't your warranty expire in 2026?

Math nerds will recognize that these warranty offers are a simple proposition: pay more over time for less volatility.
Well put!

Kelly from Amber here--we provide extended warranty products.
We like to think of our offering as something that makes unlucky times a little easier to deal with. For example, a $20k battery replacement will hit most individuals much harder than it does a company, and we effectively stand in to facilitate the transfer of that risk so that our customers can protect their financial wellbeing from unexpected events.
We recognize that everyone has a different tolerance for risk so our products aren't a fit for all, but we think it is a meaningful mission to provide information and support for owners that are looking for that peace of mind.

Sorry I've been away from computers for a bit. I dont remember all of the details but I my last EW paid for an expensive component of the AC system and also had an expensive repair to take care of something when I got a "car might not restart warning", I vaguely recall tech saying that it wasn't something covered under he battery and drive warranty. Also had a couple of mobile visits to fix a couple of things.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Im
Extended warranties are a scam to part a fool from his money.

With that said you have a low mileage car which means everything will break. Don't ask me why it's just the facts. My car had no real problems till the LDU failed at 172k miles. And I paid like $5k out of pocket for the U variant and again my car is rock solid and things just work. Hell in 2023 I drove it from coast to coast USA 5 times, and 2 of those times were towing my RV trailer.

It's always the low mileage cars that have heater failure, coolant issues, drive unit failure battery failure, etc. the more you drive the less it will break based on reports everyone gives of failures and millage.
more curious how you’re towing an rv trailer

Reactions: zoomer0056