Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for use at friend's house.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried the extension cord figured in the link below:

AC WORKS [EV1030MS-018] 1.5FT EVSE 30A 3-Prong NEMA 10-30P Dryer Plug to 50A EV Adapter for Tesla

SALE PRICE$49.99 REGULAR PRICE $79.99
SAVE $30
It seems to me that it might make sense to keep one in the car for those friends house where a round trip is beyond the Tedla 310 range and were no super charger is available. Any thoughts?

There are few places you can drive now that are out of range of a supercharger, and those wouldn't be far out of range. Even plugging into a 120V 15A outlet at your theoretical friend's house would add about 50 miles of range overnight, likely enough of a cushion to get you to the supercharger on your way home.

Thank you all for the quick and nice response. I am getting ready for my model 3; placed the order 3 weeks ago. I just installed the Nema 15 50 240 today and I am waiting to be called for delivery. I will look into the Gen2 Nema ł0 30 adapter.

I think the Tesla faithful overstate Supercharger coverage, even after the Escanaba unit comes on line and even if Marquette does too the parts of Michigan's Upper Peninsula I want to visit will be very challenging.
On the coasts sure coverage is great in the midwest coverage is good but there are definitely holes.

Reactions: outdoors
Exactly. Coverage in SW Florida seems to be light. To say the least, I will have to charge at a friend's house when one way trip logs in 180 miles. Thus the reason for the AC Works Dryer plug. Of course, whenever possible, I will use the super charger but I don't want to drive 20 to 30 miles out of my way to charge. Hopefully, this will be a moot point when number of super charger doubles soon.

3 Supercharges and about 20 destination charges isn't what I would call "light". I'm not really sure where you can go 180 miles and not pass a Supercharger or two along the way. If you look at PlugShare at the J-1772 plugs, I can't really even see the city anymore. Now I will agree there isn't much out in the glades, but there is a J-1772 in the middle in Ochobee, as well as Okechobee.
I'll disagree with BBEagle, it looks like Cape Coral to Panama City is well covered. Sure, going through Jacksonville is "out of the way" but that's where the Interstate goes and by far the fastest way to get there for any vehicle.

And by the way, Florida is full of campgrounds and you can stop at any of them and charge with 50A trailer service.

3 Supercharges and about 20 destination charges isn't what I would call "light". I'm not really sure where you can go 180 miles and not pass a Supercharger or two along the way. If you look at PlugShare at the J-1772 plugs, I can't really even see the city anymore. Now I will agree there isn't much out in the glades, but there is a J-1772 in the middle in Ochobee, as well as Okechobee.
I'll disagree with BBEagle, it looks like Cape Coral to Panama City is well covered. Sure, going through Jacksonville is "out of the way" but that's where the Interstate goes and by far the fastest way to get there for any vehicle.

And by the way, Florida is full of campgrounds and you can stop at any of them and charge with 50A trailer service.
Ewoodrick, thanks for the info on camp ground. To be accurate, I wasn't the one who made reference from Cape Coral to Panama City. As I mentioned earlier, I was just exploring the possibilities. My Model lll is scheduled to arrive between September 18 and November 18th and I am sure by that time the number of super charger will double. I placed my reservation in January 2016 so this is to tell you I have great confidence in the company and I am very relaxed. W.

I think it's worthwhile to prepare for a variety of charging scenarios. We were able to drive 249 miles non-stop from Norfolk, CT to our home near Philadelphia, PA last weekend with no range anxiety - because we could charge to 100% at our hosts' house.

Note - S100D, better-than-rated range due to:
- Chill mode / EAP
- Range mode
- Smart Air Suspension lowers car above 50 mph, better aerodynamics
- Tires at 49-50 psi cold instead of recommended 45 psi.
- Generally cruised at 72 - 75 mph.
- Fair weather, despite TeslaFi showing rain.

On road trips, our frunk carries:

- 50 foot NEMA 6-50 welder extension cord

- NEMA 10-30 and 14-30 dryer pigtails - plug with a few feet of cord. If the dryer outlet is beyond Mobile Charger reach, we use the welder's extension cord. I attach the appropriate pigtail to a 6-50 receptacle with a rubber boot.

- Mobile charger with full suite of Tesla adapter plugs

- Screwdrivers

Last weekend we visited my wife's cousin in Norfolk, CT - near the Mass border. Plugshare showed no chargers nearby. We arrived with 50% since we stopped at Greenwich SuC on the way up from Philadelphia. Figured we would stop at a rest area with SuperCharger on the way home.

Turns out the cousin is learning sculpture, has a huge air compressor plugged into a NEMA 10-50 outlet on a 30-Amp breaker. Tesla does not offer a NEMA 10-50 adapter.

Used cousin's grinder to make my NEMA 10-30 pigtail plug's ground blade compatible with a 10-50 receptacle. Plugged into the 10-50 wall outlet, attached Tesla 6-50 adapter to Mobile Charger, set 24 Amp charge limit in the Tesla. We charged at 240 Volts/24 Amps.

Battery was at 100% by morning. That allowed non-stop return, despite an enthusiastic demo drive before departure. Tesla's route planner predicted less than 20% charge on arrival. We were slightly above 25% when we parked in our driveway.
Norfolk_Home_20180729.png

NickFie and Canuck, chapeau! Well documented information; now more than ever I am very happy I am getting the Model lll. Giving that I am a couple of months to go, I will be considering a 20' extension cord with dryer plug and nema 50 female for those occasions when I have to charge at a friend's house .

Back from the dead...

When visiting family that has a 10-30 dryer plug that is probably over 20' away from the car I was thinking about getting an extension cord to use our UMC (w/ 10-30 pigtail adapter).

Do we have to use 12-gauge or will 10-gauge be sufficient?

Back from the dead...

When visiting family that has a 10-30 dryer plug that is probably over 20' away from the car I was thinking about getting an extension cord to use our UMC (w/ 10-30 pigtail adapter).

Do we have to use 12-gauge or will 10-gauge be sufficient?
I think you’ve got your question backwards. The higher the gauge number, the thinner the wire, and the lower the gauge number, the thicker the wire. 10 gauge is heavier than 12 gauge. I would use 10 gauge in your example.