Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely Disappointed about SuperCharger rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case people haven't noticed, Elon Musk is not a conservative guy. I believe he publicly announced an aggressive rollout knowing it was likely not achievable.

Why would he do that? To put his team under pressure to try to do it. If he announced a conservative, vague schedule he probably expected the team to not push hard enough.

I think he is the kind of leader that wants his people to push hard for the very best results. Even if they come up short, they still accomplish a lot more than if he set the bar low.

Look how much SpaceX has accomplished in such a short time.

Even when deadlines are missed, his companies still accomplish breathtaking things. Is it any wonder that Tesla and SpaceX are so far ahead of their competition?

The press release promising the Summer chargers early in the summer was obviously wrong. However, they promised 27 chargers for the summer. If you take that to be Sept 21st, then they are at 21 with at least 3 more likely to open in the next week. 24 out of 27 isn't bad (and they would have finally reached the triple landmark).

Greg,

Thank you for putting things in proper perspective.

Larry

In case people haven't noticed, Elon Musk is not a conservative guy. I believe he publicly announced an aggressive rollout knowing it was likely not achievable.

Why would he do that? To put his team under pressure to try to do it. If he announced a conservative, vague schedule he probably expected the team to not push hard enough.

I think he is the kind of leader that wants his people to push hard for the very best results. Even if they come up short, they still accomplish a lot more than if he set the bar low.

Even when deadlines are missed, his companies still accomplish breathtaking things. Is it any wonder that Tesla and SpaceX are so far ahead of their competition?

Indeed. Elon Musk is a firm believer in Parkinson's law and therefore tries to circumvent it by never allowing enough time.

They still haven't quite managed to triple the number of superchargers, something they said they'd do by the end of June.

Well, they surely have. At the moment there are 22 Superchargers stations in the US, and there are 6 Supercharger stations in Norway. That makes it 28 in total, and that is even more than 3x9=27, right?

- - - Updated - - -

+1

That's just one of the things that makes him special.

Well, they surely have. At the moment there are 22 Superchargers stations in the US, and there are 6 Supercharger stations in Norway. That makes it 28 in total, and that is even more than 3x9=27, right?

- - - Updated - - -

+1

That's just one of the things that makes him special.

He leads by example. He never pushes people harder than he is willing to push himself. Of course the guy never seems to sleep......

Given all the carnage of EV related companies (Fisker, Ecotastrophe, Better place,...), I think it's a good idea to step back and look at Tesla in context. Heck, I have two Blink EVSE stations near my house that were installed in May and STILL have not been turned on. Are you guys all going to complain about how bad Tesla is? Yes, they certainly are guilty of over promising but they really are delivering. Frankly, I agree 1000% with the earlier comment that if they hadn't given the vague schedule they did, you all would be ecstatic.

Half Empty = they failed to meet their promises.
Half Full = look at all those Superchargers.
half-full-half-empty.jpg