Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZPass mount location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 S and a similar vintage EZPass (not the newer one that the Amazon cover ^^ fits apparently). Since I've had the impression the windshield blocks the signal, at least the area forward of the rear view mirror where these are normally put, I've always kept it in the car and held it out the window when going through tolls. Well, I went through NYC last week in the pouring rain, so the previous approach was no good. To my surprise, mounting the big ugly white thing in the top left corner of the windshield worked fine. Now I'll shift it behind the blackened area right of the mirror ^^.

Last edited:
Hmmm…in California, you are supposed to put them in the lower left corner of the windshield, because they have to be easily visible to the authorities, since these are used to pay for driving in the carpool lane if you don’t have 2+ people in the car or a carpool lane sticker. You can get ticketed if your FastTrak transponder isn’t easily visible to the law…

Hmmm…in California, you are supposed to put them in the lower left corner of the windshield, because they have to be easily visible to the authorities, since these are used to pay for driving in the carpool lane if you don’t have 2+ people in the car or a carpool lane sticker. You can get ticketed if your FastTrak transponder isn’t easily visible to the law…
Bay Area (San Francisco) FasTrak recommended locations are near the rear view mirror (preferred) or in the lower left or right corners (alternative) of the windshield.

During my recent delivery of a Model Y, the advisor said he put his E-ZPass overhead on the roof, just behind the leading edge of the glass roof. That doesn't hide it, but it's easily read by the highway scanners and doesn't obscure the windshield or any cameras.
That’s where I mounted my E-ZPass. It works great.

Bay Area (San Francisco) FasTrak recommended locations are near the rear view mirror (preferred) or in the lower left or right corners (alternative) of the windshield.

Hmmm…several months ago in SoCal, a CHP officer stopped me and read me the riot act for having my FasTrak near my rear view mirror, insisting the law specified the lower left windshield corner. He didn’t write me a ticket, but I sure thought I was going to get one o_O

Hmmm…several months ago in SoCal, a CHP officer stopped me and read me the riot act for having my FasTrak near my rear view mirror, insisting the law specified the lower left windshield corner. He didn’t write me a ticket, but I sure thought I was going to get one o_O
If you click on the link "positioned safely and lawfully" in that article I referenced, you will get this popup window:

Lawful positioning of a toll tag

Amendment to SEC.77, Section 26708 of the Vehicle Code, permitting: An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:
  1. The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.
  2. The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

SEC. 77, Section 26708 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read: Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.