Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F150 Lightning Snow Plow Not Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug in T.O.

Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2022
Toronto
Zac and Jesse at Now You Know just post this video that F150 Lightning has no snow plow available. At least they found a light duty hitch-mounted option. Anybody know if Cybertruck will have a snow plow option? Please make sure Tesla knows about this. Thanks!

Ford Lightning Can’t Plow?? | In Depth
Now You Know

Looks like the CT frunk will be like all the other tesla vehicles, where it opens from top only. The ford has an amazing front trunk where the whole front fascia moves with it. I'd personally rather have that then a snow plow ability but I think the CT will support front mounted winches and plows and stuff

Reactions: scottf200
Without a traditional frame my guess is a plow will be tough to mount. Also will likely be highly destructive to the CT, I Can’t think of a unibody that is a competent plow rig.

I plowed for extra cash as a teen growing up in Tahoe in a late 70’s ford. Plowing is pretty much repetitive ramming, and destroys trucks.

You could most likely set something up but I don't think range would last long. You could mount a plow on the hitch for reverse plowing. Someone modified a Model Y for front plowing but I imagine that the range was probably not great. Electric vehicles just are not ready for heavy duty Snowplowing at this time. In the future it will be possible but I think it will be about 10 more years. If not longer

Last edited:
Cross-posted from this thread: #34

What makes you think the CT will be able to plow? I feel confident in saying that there is not a single person in Tesla's employment that has ever mounted and then operated a snowplow on a pickup truck. I'm talking about people that design or build the vehicles or have input into same - Gallery employees in snowy climates exempted.

The CT doesn't have a frame on which to mount a plow. The skin (exoskeleton) provides the structure for the body. It will be non-trivial to mount an existing plow to the CT. Further, plows run on 12V. Tesla has switched to 16V. Tons of people are having issues with accessories like air pumps in the 16V vehicles. Will the plow run with a 16V supply?

It's all of these things that NO ONE at Tesla thinks about. Li-Ion standby battery sounds great until they built it and it's 16V. Instead of taking a moment and trying to figure out a solution, they just shipped it.

The CT will not do "truck things" because no one in Tesla's design group or leadership has ever done a single "truck thing."

Don't get me wrong. Most trucks don't do "truck things." They haul the family around, commute to work, haul a boat on the weekends, plus the odd Home Depot run. The CT will work fine for this. But no 5th wheel, bed-mounted tool chest, snow plow, slinging hay bales, etc.

I hope the Cybertruck has suitable mounting points for Front end hitch, similar to what I have on my current beastie.
IMG_3899.jpeg