Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faceplate on Wall Charger Slightly Moves - Is This Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to ask if it’s normal for the Faceplate on the 3rd Gen Wall Charger to slightly move/wiggle a little when pushing and pulling on the top?

Can anyone check theirs and confirm if the top part slightly moves when pushing in and pulling out like mine does?

I'm surprised it moves that much, but you probably shouldn't worry about it. There's another layer of plastic/seal under there that makes the innards >almost< watertight.

If it really bothers you, you could probably fix it by taking the HPWC body off the wall and unscrewing the faceplate(two small torx screws at the bottom, then slide the faceplate up(or is it down?) to free the top. Add a little packing tape to the plastic tangs to take up the free space in the slots they slide into, and reassemble. You'll probably have to experiment with several layers of tape. Be sure not to go too far because eventually those tangs will break off.

My brand new Tesla universal wall charger seems to be the same - I don’t know how you even noticed that - it is so slight.

Thanks for confirming! You have the same 3rd Gen Wall Charger?

I'm surprised it moves that much, but you probably shouldn't worry about it. There's another layer of plastic/seal under there that makes the innards >almost< watertight.

If it really bothers you, you could probably fix it by taking the HPWC body off the wall and unscrewing the faceplate(two small torx screws at the bottom, then slide the faceplate up(or is it down?) to free the top. Add a little packing tape to the plastic tangs to take up the free space in the slots they slide into, and reassemble. You'll probably have to experiment with several layers of tape. Be sure not to go too far because eventually those tangs will break off.
Do you have a 3rd Wall Charger to compare it to? I honestly don’t mind if it’s normal.

And just to confirm, that’s not supposed to be sealed or water tight, right?

Do you have a 3rd Wall Charger to compare it to? I honestly don’t mind if it’s normal.

And just to confirm, that’s not supposed to be sealed or water tight, right?

Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained! shows that its not supposed to be sealed or water tight.

I've checked the two Gen3's I have in stock, and both have a little faceplate play. One is somewhat worse than the other.

Reactions: ghsnick!
Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained! shows that its not supposed to be sealed or water tight.

I've checked the two Gen3's I have in stock, and both have a little faceplate play. One is somewhat worse than the other.
Thanks for linking that thread! I checked my neighbor’s and theirs had zero movement, so I just wanted to make sure it was normal.

So you have two Gen 3’s and they both have some play, but one is worse than the other? Do you mind posting a quick vid if you have a moment?

My only thought was to remove the charger and try to tighten the bottom screws…but I probably won’t mess with it if it will still have some play.

Thanks for linking that thread! I checked my neighbor’s and theirs had zero movement, so I just wanted to make sure it was normal.

So you have two Gen 3’s and they both have some play, but one is worse than the other? Do you mind posting a quick vid if you have a moment?

My only thought was to remove the charger and try to tighten the bottom screws…but I probably won’t mess with it if it will still have some play.
The bottom screws won't have any affect on that play(at the top). Removing the faceplate and adding a layer or two of tape(probably electrical tape) to the tangs that engage the top of the faceplate should fix it.