Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Model 3 Screen Protector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dragonxt

Oct 26, 2016
Bay Area
There's a thin plastic film on my Model 3 screen, and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to peel that off, or if it was designed to stay on the car.

I ask because when I gave my screen a wipe, it was heavily scratched up. This caused me to doubt the durability of the film and wonder if it was supposed to be removed at delivery.

Many people keep it on as a screen protector. It seems to work just as well as aftermarket protectors.

The shipping film is NOT screen protector quality.
Neither on the phones, nor the Model 3 screen. It's flimsy, and scratches way too easily.

The screen itself is pretty robust. I considered a screen protector (and actually had it on other cars), but never installed it.
After 5+ years with Model 3, I am yet to bang anything into the screen. I've actually remove screen protectors from my others cars for the same reason.

The screen protector (thin film) that came with my new '23 Tesla 3 seems to be covering some small icons in the upper RH corner.
Are those icons important? Should the film be removed?

Nothing on the screen of (original) Model 3 is particularly important.
You can drive the car with the screen dead, or rebooting.

That may no longer be the case with Highland Model 3's, that need screen interaction to change F/R gears.

HTH,
a

Reactions: BeeGood