Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Tour in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also:
Email [email protected] to make a reservation and for more information
btw, I'll also add - from the info provided by their email reply:
- they recommend booking 2-4 weeks ahead to reserve a spot, but you cannot book more than 3 months in advance
Tesla owners can book one tour per year.

the tours run twice/weekday (10am/3pm) and are limited in size, due to the fact they take you around the factory in this electric tram with limited number of seats.

I managed to take the tour in mid October - I was able to get a reservation for 3 people about 7 business days prior, which was lucky because our road trip down to the Bay Area was planned kind of last minute.

Went a couple weeks ago, and they had some of the early prototype model S on display, but do not remember a model 3. (might have been there, but I was concentrating mostly on anything Model X.

The tour was pretty cool, and the factory is impressive.

No photographs were allowed. Tour started with a display of some of the raw materials that they start off with for aluminum and plastic, and some of the finished components for us to handle and closely inspect.

Then we got on an electric tram pulling a train of passenger cars. Speakers allowed everyone to hear the narration. Everyone was advised to keep their hands inside the cars as we were driven right through the heart of the plant while in full operation.

Everything was clean, and less noisey than you might expect. The robots were hard at work with the heavy stuff. They seemed to be working in pairs to accomplish most tasks. They move pretty rapidly, repeating the same tasks over and over again. They are also pretty flexible and assist in moving production down the assembly lines.

They use several types of welding robots, depending on the desired results. The stamping machines were huge beasts. Seem to make short work of turning sheet aluminum into structural shapes.

They have a nice employee cafe, right on the factory floor, dressed up with live plants and some decore. They also have a work out facility and yoga relaxation classes. Some of the employees get around on bicycles, while others drive electric carts. They also have a system of fully automated transport shuttles programed to retrieve parts and supplies from storage. They run fully independantly, guided by a grid of black magnetic stripes painted on the floors. They each have "do not ride" stickers painted on : >)

We saw paint areas, final inspections, welding, stocking, people installing Falcon Wing doors etc. They pointed out that the batteries are one of the last things installed, as it takes two robots to lift it with them installed, but only one if not.

This was a great opportunity to see just how much goes into the making of our cars, and was the icing on the cake as we were ushered into a staging salon where 8 Tesla's were prepped for local delivery.

We were told we could bring a total of 4 people (including us) for the tour. Gave us coffee and snacks while we waited in the lounge for the tour to start. They also had a small gift shop with Tesla branded things like clothing and coffee cups.

Does anyone who has been on a Factory tour recently know if they have one of the Model 3s from the reveal on display there?

I took a future owner with me on the tour last June, and he went again in December when he picked up his new P100D.

I asked for Model 3 intel since I have a reservation, and he reported back there were no Model 3s seen, and the area of the factory we had been told would be for the model 3 line on our tour was completely curtained off out of view. So, top secret.

I plan on scheduling another tour for myself in July - or when Model 3 production starts.

• Informative
Reactions: youlikeadajuice
I plan on scheduling another tour for myself in July - or when Model 3 production starts.
Even after the Model 3 has been fully revealed and production is underway, I would not assume that a factory tour would include seeing the Model 3 production line.

I've been on the factory tour 3 times in the past 3 years. There is so much to see that even with just one production line in operation (the S/X line) the tour doesn't include a lot of areas. Some are off limits for various reasons, and some simply can't be covered in an approximately one hour tour.

Even after the Model 3 has been fully revealed and production is underway, I would not assume that a factory tour would include seeing the Model 3 production line.

I've been on the factory tour 3 times in the past 3 years. There is so much to see that even with just one production line in operation (the S/X line) the tour doesn't include a lot of areas. Some are off limits for various reasons, and some simply can't be covered in an approximately one hour tour.

True, it might not. But as you know, cars that have come off the line and are ready for pickup are parked outside waiting for delivery. I am sure there will be reports here and across other pages of fresh off the line Model 3 sightings at the factory, when they happen. Then I'll schedule it. My goal in going again is to see them in person in every color before I take delivery. (East coast, owner) Originally I'd hoped to use the trip to help me make my decision on options, but I recognize this may not be possible depending on when I have to confirm my order. But since I can schedule a SFO trip whenever I want with my job, I figured I'd do it again once production starts, just for the fun of it. :)

Does anyone who has been on a Factory tour recently know if they have one of the Model 3s from the reveal on display there?

I just did the tour a week ago, and zero Model 3 stuff. A large area of the factory is closed off and not visible during the tour. But I did see a release canidate while leaving the parking lot by pure luck.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I think some lucky rewards winners are going to get a special tour of the Model 3 maybe like the weekend before it's made public (no pictures but can report back on it) but until then don't think anyone on a tour will get to see that area. Holding off doing our tour until after they are released.

I'm also visiting the Bay Area this weekend. Is there anything open on Sundays at the Fremont factory?

Because I'm assuming that the factory tour is only during Mo-Fr anyway? And the fact that I'm only a Model 3 reservation holder and not an owner. But I still want to visit the Tesla Fremont Factory. So I was wondering if there is anything I could see at all when I go there on Sunday (the only day I can visit it).

I'm also visiting the Bay Area this weekend. Is there anything open on Sundays at the Fremont factory?

Because I'm assuming that the factory tour is only during Mo-Fr anyway? And the fact that I'm only a Model 3 reservation holder and not an owner. But I still want to visit the Tesla Fremont Factory. So I was wondering if there is anything I could see at all when I go there on Sunday (the only day I can visit it).

Factory tours run Monday - Friday. You need to be an existing owner to make a tour reservation
Email: [email protected]

Though on a Sunday if you're there , I'm sure there's a chance you could experience the lineup at the Fremont Supercharger :)

Here is the factory tour info you receive before your tour:

Tour Guidelines:

*** Please make sure that everyone follows the clothing requirements below ***
  • Everyone must wear closed-toe shoes, long pants, and a shirt with sleeves (short sleeves ok)
  • The registered Tesla owner must be present with guests
  • No photo or video allowed inside the factory
  • All children must be 48 inches or taller (the minimum height for our guard rails)
  • As a note: the tour lasts about an hour
  • Your tour experience is subject to change depending on factory developments and its production schedule. This includes but is not limited to: tour route, tour duration and activity within the factory

We went last month. Kim was our guide. It is well worth a trip.

It was supposed to be 45 minutes but she spent 2 hours with us.

All the Model 3 areas were shrouded in white canvas tarps.

We learned no secrets. Kim said they don't tell her anything secret because they know it would be on the web that evening. :)

• Funny
Reactions: hybridbear