Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed OTA update; death stalking my MCU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's probably not a good idea to hit the "update firmware" button in the middle of a pandemic but I haven't had anything else to do besides home school the critters, day drink, and try to remember to change my shirt for the daily conference calls... Eventually I just had to push the button.

And the next morning, it still says "update pending" so -- I update it again (using phone app) and watch it count down to 0 and start installing. And again, it reports an hour later that there's an update pending...

I'll assume the answer is yes, the MCU's days are not just numbered, but countable on a couple hands. I haven't seen any other symptoms other than occasionally the car takes 30 seconds to wake up when I get in it and ask it to start; it also sometimes doesn't see the key fob in the car with me until I wave it around over the center console; I've replaced the battery in the fob with a new one in the past 3 months.

I assume this means that my MCU will possibly stop working entirely? Precautions would include remove pin, set the charge limit to something reasonable like 80% and wait this out?

2016 S 90D with AP1/MCU1 with 3 years left of "CPO" warranty.... I'm not anxious to get a refurb MCU as that one may be nearly as sick as my old one...

I had been planning on holding out for a while until tesla offers updates to an MCU2 while keeping the FM radio.

Stupid pandemic

I know it's probably not a good idea to hit the "update firmware" button in the middle of a pandemic but I haven't had anything else to do besides home school the critters, day drink, and try to remember to change my shirt for the daily conference calls... Eventually I just had to push the button.

And the next morning, it still says "update pending" so -- I update it again (using phone app) and watch it count down to 0 and start installing. And again, it reports an hour later that there's an update pending...

I'll assume the answer is yes, the MCU's days are not just numbered, but countable on a couple hands. I haven't seen any other symptoms other than occasionally the car takes 30 seconds to wake up when I get in it and ask it to start; it also sometimes doesn't see the key fob in the car with me until I wave it around over the center console; I've replaced the battery in the fob with a new one in the past 3 months.

I assume this means that my MCU will possibly stop working entirely? Precautions would include remove pin, set the charge limit to something reasonable like 80% and wait this out?

2016 S 90D with AP1/MCU1 with 3 years left of "CPO" warranty.... I'm not anxious to get a refurb MCU as that one may be nearly as sick as my old one...

I had been planning on holding out for a while until tesla offers updates to an MCU2 while keeping the FM radio.

Stupid pandemic
May be a while until they do AP2.0 and never if you want the radio.

I’m AP1/MCU1. Mine lasted about six weeks after I noticed it wasn’t updating. Don’t think it’s enough time to see a change in policy at Tesla, but.?

I’m on a ESA. So the repair was covered. Somehow charging port died the same day. Hard to believe it was unrelated, but not clear how, either.

A lot of features worked much better after the replacement. Lag went away on voice commands, nav tiles quickly. A few months later I can see both slowing again. I’ll upgrade to MCU2 when it’s offered. Wish it had been a choice. Heck even a $500 discount on the upgrade would have been a win/win as far as I’m concerned.

Well, maybe I can give you a positive spin on this - now you can enrich your daily activities by learning how to remove the MCU and its Tegra board, then ship it for recovery/pre-emptive emmc replacement. Or, if you are really ambitious, learn how to swap out the emmc yourself. Your car is probably stuck in the garage for a bit nowadays (especially if you have another car in the household), so it's not like you have take it apart after work in the evening and rush to reassemble it by morning to drive to work. ;)

Well, maybe I can give you a positive spin on this - now you can enrich your daily activities by learning how to remove the MCU and its Tegra board, then ship it for recovery/pre-emptive emmc replacement. Or, if you are really ambitious, learn how to swap out the emmc yourself. Your car is probably stuck in the garage for a bit nowadays (especially if you have another car in the household), so it's not like you have take it apart after work in the evening and rush to reassemble it by morning to drive to work. ;)

So the challenge here is that I've got a warranty until 2023; if it were out of warranty I'd definitely be pulling the thing out to send to a repair ship. If I can swap air springs on an audi allroad I can probably pull a dashboard apart. But I also know I don't really want to tackle that kind of job since I have also broken my share of things out of misplaced optimism.

As far as if tesla will support updating the radio on these -- right now all bets are off, but assuming things get back to semi-normal (whatever the heck that is for Tesla) I'm assuming that they'll dig through their service center backlogs (AP3 updates / MCU repairs) and eventually have more spare capacity, at which point I think there's a better than 50% chance that they'll come up with a patch that allows for easier installation of a new tuner and offer it as a $800 add-on to MCU1->MCU2 upgrades or as a standalone upgrade.

People have said they will never update the MCU...

So the challenge here is that I've got a warranty until 2023; if it were out of warranty I'd definitely be pulling the thing out to send to a repair ship. If I can swap air springs on an audi allroad I can probably pull a dashboard apart. But I also know I don't really want to tackle that kind of job since I have also broken my share of things out of misplaced optimism.

As far as if tesla will support updating the radio on these -- right now all bets are off, but assuming things get back to semi-normal (whatever the heck that is for Tesla) I'm assuming that they'll dig through their service center backlogs (AP3 updates / MCU repairs) and eventually have more spare capacity, at which point I think there's a better than 50% chance that they'll come up with a patch that allows for easier installation of a new tuner and offer it as a $800 add-on to MCU1->MCU2 upgrades or as a standalone upgrade.

People have said they will never update the MCU...
Under warranty seems like a much simpler decision. Let Tesla fix your MCU for free, and if you still want MCU2 pay for it when available. No need to postpone a free MCU1 (or multiple) repairs while holding out for MCU2. The upgrade to MCU2 will not be any cheaper or more expensive just because you're on your 2nd, or 3rd, or even 4th MCU1.