Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Defective" 2022.8.10.15 software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On July 14, 2023, I received a regular over the air update via WiFi for my 2017 Tesla Model S 100D which I proceeded to grant installation for overnight for version 2022.8.10.15. Much to my chagrin the following morning, I discovered that my instrument cluster screen was blank and would not start. There was no problem with multimedia screen or the ability to drive the vehicle, though autopilot and safety systems associated with the instrument cluster, as well as the wheels on the steering wheel, would not work. Finally, later that day, a full “4 button reset” brought the screen backup with a message that the update had failed to properly install. Two days later, the local Tesla service center pushed out another implementation of 2022.8.10.15, which seemed to install correctly.

However, at irregular intervals thereafter, the instrument cluster screen would go blank, but it was possible to restart it with a “2 button reset”. Commencing on August 8, the instrument cluster and its associated functions would NOT restart in spite of repeated “4 button resets” and power off resets. I did not attempt a hard reset as tempted as I was to try this myself. Finally, on the night of August 12, I attempted another power off reset, this time disabling the sentry mode and unplugging all USB connections. To my great surprise and pleasure this AM, August 13, the car started up flawlessly without problems with the instrument cluster screen or its associated functions.

Clearly, there is a glitch with this software implementation that others must have seen. I suspect Tesla is aware as well as 2022.8.10.16 is pending release. I have NEVER had to disable the sentry mode and remove all USB connections previously to undergo a successful software update for my vehicle. Something is very different now.

Finally, on the night of August 12, I attempted another power off reset, this time disabling the sentry mode and unplugging all USB connections.

Also, this is very (very) common, at least on model 3s and Ys. If the USB drive gets full, all sorts of "strange stuff" happens. Enough so that whenever anyone mentions anything at all about "black screens" or issues with the screen, "remove your USB drives" is the very first thing we suggest.

On a 2017 Model S this version, 2022.8.10.15 was JUST released to my car on July 14!! I know, amazing, as I thought that update was a year old as well, but not the case for my car!! As for the USB drive, it was NOT full; far from it. I had already tried one unsuccessful power off reset with it pulled out, so I really think it was the sentry mode itself disrupting the update. The other, less likely thought, is I had an unattached USB cable plugged into one of the rear USB ports, so maybe that might have been the problem as I had forgotten about that cable.

Per the remote diagnostics from my local Tesla service center, the real issue is a failing MCU. The screen has continued to go out intermittently without clear pattern. They are proposing replacing the instrument cluster & upgrading the Infotainment processer to the Intel Atom chip from my current older Integra chip. I could get away with replacing the cluster alone, but financially, the incremental cost is small enough to justify a full upgrade. What do you think?

OP. What did you end up doing? I got an update on my 2015 MS on MCU1 and having similar issues. We were having no issues at all with MCU1 prior to this update and we do not have Sentry. Just curios as to what you did or what Tesla offered.