Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fake M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I just spotted my first fake Tesla Model 3P. A black M3 passed me quickly on the fast lane of the M27 at Chichester the other day. I checked the rear to see what type it was, as you do. It had a DualMotor badge and I thought - that’s nice to see a fellow M3P owner, a bit dirty but hey ho. Unfortunately for him the outside lane was jammed up at a roundabout and I slowly crept up to him. When I studied the car as I came alongside I saw that it had no rear spoiler, Aero wheels and no red callipers. I suspect it was an impersonator! (or was I wrong in my assessment :eek:)
I suppose with the lack of design differences between models that this is bound to happen. It’s a shame that Tesla does not differentiate between models a bit more with features that could not easily or cheaply be changed or added - headlight/rear light style, bumper shape, different tints etc. Has anyone else spotted any other impersonators? :cool:

I think I just spotted my first fake Tesla Model 3P. A black M3 passed me quickly on the fast lane of the M27 at Chichester the other day. I checked the rear to see what type it was, as you do. It had a DualMotor badge and I thought - that’s nice to see a fellow M3P owner, a bit dirty but hey ho. Unfortunately for him the outside lane was jammed up at a roundabout and I slowly crept up to him. When I studied the car as I came alongside I saw that it had no rear spoiler, Aero wheels and no red callipers. I suspect it was an impersonator! (or was I wrong in my assessment :eek:)
I suppose with the lack of design differences between models that this is bound to happen. It’s a shame that Tesla does not differentiate between models a bit more with features that could not easily or cheaply be changed or added - headlight/rear light style, bumper shape, different tints etc. Has anyone else spotted any other impersonators? :cool:

Allot of them didnt come with spoilers. One could also assume that maybe they changed the wheels. Also not too sure about the P models 3s but I know the earlier P model S's didnt have red calipers. When I am in my mustang i always error on the side of caution and tru not too race those cars. How embarrassing that would be

It had a DualMotor badge and I thought - that’s nice to see a fellow M3P owner, a bit dirty but hey ho. Unfortunately for him the outside lane was jammed up at a roundabout and I slowly crept up to him. When I studied the car as I came alongside I saw that it had no rear spoiler, Aero wheels and no red callipers. I suspect it was an impersonator! (or was I wrong in my assessment :eek:)

I think you just described a standard LR. Why not just get a flag made up with Performance on it so everyone knows? ;)

Don’t think we got P- in UK did we? Or VERY limited quantity. Check your dash cam for reg and plug into reg checker to confirm model

They were very popular with early orders. When LR AWD went off the books for a period of time, it was just SR+, Performance (aka, P-, stealth...) and Performance + Performance Upgrade Package (aka what many now call performance). A couple even ended up with tow hitch.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark-R
They were very popular with early orders. When LR AWD went off the books for a period of time, it was just SR+, Performance (aka, P-, stealth...) and Performance + Performance Upgrade Package (aka what many now call performance). A couple even ended up with tow hitch.
i didn’t think that any other model other than the pure Model 3 Performance came with the distinctive red underlined badge. I originally had a LRAWD on order and that came with just the DualMotor badge as did the P- I thought.

I didn't toot my hooter either - so no dash cam footage!

What made you think it was a fake ‘P’? You’ve just described my LR exactly. If it had a red line under ‘Dual Motor’ then maybe, but you haven’t mentioned that.

"It had a DualMotor badge" (Can't underline in red - sorry)

Edit: They did make P- in the States with that badge. Didn't think they got here though. If they did - then he's a great bloke! :)

I think you just described a standard LR. Why not just get a flag made up with Performance on it so everyone knows? ;)

What made you think it was a fake ‘P’? You’ve just described my LR exactly. If it had a red line under ‘Dual Motor’ then maybe, but you haven’t mentioned that.

The OP underlined Dual Motor so I assumed it had the red underline, so as others have said likely a P-/stealth.

Edit - OP beat me to it!

I have one of these models - I prefer the term stealth rather than minus :) but I can see those with the genuine P model would call them minus.

Personally I was pleased to find one in inventory last October as I prefer smaller alloys when commuting into London.

V5 and (unfortunately) insurance companIes just call it a Performance model.

I have one of these models - I prefer the term stealth rather than minus :) but I can see those with the genuine P model would call them minus.

You do have the genuine Performance. Right at the start of UK Model 3 sales, you had to add the performance upgrade pack/PUP (at significant expense) to get to the performance spec of today. Stealth is a good name imho. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

Not long after these archive pages were grabbed, LR disappeared and big price adjustment. Performance base came down to close to original cost of LR. A month or so later, LR reappeared again. Lots of tweaks due to supply issues.

Ignore pricing below - images are from archive and I'm not convinced pricing is correct so I blanked them.
upload_2020-7-1_19-26-52.png

PUP on top of base Performance (above)
upload_2020-7-1_19-27-53.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doudeau and Mark-R
Ordered the LRAWD got offered a P- or stealth took it with thanks. shows red underline on dash and on rear badge, 18" wheels so put on my own spoiler, does the 3.2 seconds 0-60 but doesnt come with lowered suspension or red calipers (unless you paint them(oops did that too)) also comes with drift mode and track mode (dont know if LR AWD has that),