Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Nope not surprising at all but good to know. I'm actually a little surprised F9 will return to flight this year.

Hopefully. It take the FAA to approve a Return To Flight. If SpaceX can't figure what went wrong then that delays the process to "repair" and make the improvements necessary to prevent another anomaly. So the company might be ready, but the regulatory agencies might disagree.

Happy to see that teaser photo of the FH! When it flies next year I hope people will start to come to grips with the reality that the SLS is DOA since it will cost at least an order of magnitude more to fly than the FH. See How I learned to stop worrying and love the big $60B NASA rocket

Looking at the photos of the SLS I just think, what a bloody waste! Lifting that huge rocket to orbit and then throwing it away.

FH1-800x532.jpg

Reactions: Mike1080i
It looks like SpaceX is focusing on March, April, or May for the Falcon Heavy launch. I'm guessing a bit but I expect that SpaceX was holding out for the F9 design to be fully vetted. Now we know that there is still one major upgrade still to come. You have wonder how powerful FH will be when it eventually uses 3 Block 5 cores.... That version should be as powerful as the proposed New Glenn from Blue Origins and SLS Block 1.

Jeff Foust on Twitter
In talk on COSMIC-2, NOAA says Falcon Heavy demo launch scheduled for 2nd Q

Reactions: GoTslaGo
It looks like SpaceX is focusing on March, April, or May for the Falcon Heavy launch. I'm guessing a bit but I expect that SpaceX was holding out for the F9 design to be fully vetted. Now we know that there is still one major upgrade still to come. You have wonder how powerful FH will be when it eventually uses 3 Block 5 cores.... That version should be as powerful as the proposed New Glenn from Blue Origins and SLS Block 1.

Jeff Foust on Twitter

So first flights with the current design to test the combination and then upgrade once Block 5 is proven?

And we have the first re-use to come as well...