Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey people! I’ve seen some similar issues but nothing exactly the same being discussed. I have a ‘23 refresh MX, delivered just before Christmas 2022. In maybe March(?) I started having an issue with the falcon wing doors that appears to occur only when it rains, either during or after, whether or not the vehicle is wet.

Essentially what is happening is when attempting to open the FWDs, both sides, neither will open and will just beep at me. They won’t allow override by holding, from the app, door handle, touchscreen or key fob.

As you can imagine, in Florida and with children this poses some extreme problems. The first time it happened I was picking up my two toddlers from daycare, the doors wouldn’t open and I was holding up the line. I sat both kids in the front seat while I called Tesla and after 45 minutes on hold they suggested a reset, which didn’t work, and then after that didn’t work offered to dispatch a tow truck to tow the vehicle an hour away for “diagnostics”. One of the smaller parents volunteered to climb in through the trunk to get the kids in their seats, but how embarrassing.

It’s happened a handful more favorite times. Sometimes after a little while of trying they’ll unlatch and I can manually pull them open.

Today I got the kids into the car but could not get them out when I got to daycare.

Because the issue has been intermittent and only when it rains, I’ve been reluctant to reach out to Tesla but I’m at the end of my rope.

I’ve seen a number of people reference over paint and sensor issues which I’ll mention but I don’t know if I’m unique here. Misery loves company so has anyone else had this issue?

falcon wing doors that appears to occur only when it rains, either during or after, whether or not the vehicle is wet.
Water getting in a wire pass thru grommet due to rain?

Have you tested it when it is dry and using a garden hose to recreate it? Carefully wet different places (each side on the top, lower area by sensors, etc) and wait a few minutes to get independently.

Have you gotten in the service menu to look at the log of any errors?

Reactions: Falcon73

Have you tested it when it is dry and using a garden hose to recreate it? Carefully wet different places (each side on the top, lower area by sensors, etc) and wait a few minutes to get independently.

Appreciate these insights.
Where and what is a wire pass thru grommet?

As much as I appreciate the sentiment behind location specific water testing, with two toddlers I’m not sure I have that kind of free time in the next month/foreseeable, let alone being able to spot test the upper areas while keeping the lowers dry.

I have not checked the service menu but I can try to find time to do this

Well if you don't have time to do anything then continue as is and deal with the doors occasionally not opening. ;)
Hey man, if I had time to read the entire schematic of the vehicle, disassemble it part by part, and use the scientific method to self diagnose and resolve the issue, I wouldn’t have needed to post on this forum.

As it stands, it have a $130,000 vehicle that sometimes traps my kids in the back seat, from a vehicle manufacturer that produces vehicles that sometimes burst into flames. Let’s maybe have a little perspective and realize that everyone’s situations are different and I’m here asking for help?

Reactions: Jonnymack74
That sounds somewhat similar to my 7 month old X that I am lemoning. The FWDs are terrible. They open all the way roughly 1 out of 20 tries, but usually require me to hold down the button for 20 seconds to override the sensors. It is so much fun holding down a button for 20 seconds to simply open the door to get my kids out....

I wish you luck. My experience is that the car gained new faults every time service touched it and it was eventually rendered unsafe to drive through software/electrical issues.

That sounds somewhat similar to my 7 month old X that I am lemoning. The FWDs are terrible. They open all the way roughly 1 out of 20 tries, but usually require me to hold down the button for 20 seconds to override the sensors. It is so much fun holding down a button for 20 seconds to simply open the door to get my kids out....

I wish you luck. My experience is that the car gained new faults every time service touched it and it was eventually rendered unsafe to drive through software/electrical issues.
Fantastic! I’m excited to try this avenue! I’m being a little sarcastic but actually am game.

• Funny
Reactions: rpo
Hey people! I’ve seen some similar issues but nothing exactly the same being discussed. I have a ‘23 refresh MX, delivered just before Christmas 2022. In maybe March(?) I started having an issue with the falcon wing doors that appears to occur only when it rains, either during or after, whether or not the vehicle is wet.

Essentially what is happening is when attempting to open the FWDs, both sides, neither will open and will just beep at me. They won’t allow override by holding, from the app, door handle, touchscreen or key fob.

As you can imagine, in Florida and with children this poses some extreme problems. The first time it happened I was picking up my two toddlers from daycare, the doors wouldn’t open and I was holding up the line. I sat both kids in the front seat while I called Tesla and after 45 minutes on hold they suggested a reset, which didn’t work, and then after that didn’t work offered to dispatch a tow truck to tow the vehicle an hour away for “diagnostics”. One of the smaller parents volunteered to climb in through the trunk to get the kids in their seats, but how embarrassing.

It’s happened a handful more favorite times. Sometimes after a little while of trying they’ll unlatch and I can manually pull them open.

Today I got the kids into the car but could not get them out when I got to daycare.

Because the issue has been intermittent and only when it rains, I’ve been reluctant to reach out to Tesla but I’m at the end of my rope.

I’ve seen a number of people reference over paint and sensor issues which I’ll mention but I don’t know if I’m unique here. Misery loves company so has anyone else had this issue?
I don't know what the exact data is on this but just looking at the posts here on TMC it anecdotally feels like the 2023s are having an unusual number of FWD issues right from the factory. Don't get me wrong, I've spent over a $1K on mine to replace a failed door controller and a USS that fell off inside the door, but it's the first FWD repair on a 2018 car with over 50K miles that literally bakes in the California sun. When I got mine repaired the tech said the sensors are extremely sensitive to the point where if the vehicle is repainted in its life or a gnat farts on the door, the sensors will malfunction. As complicated as they are I think all FWDs are prone to have an issue at some point but it sure seems like the 2023s are having problems when new and, prior to the refresh, you wouldn't usually see anything more than an alignment issue until the X got some years and miles under it's belt. I'm interested to know what the rest of the TMC community thinks...

Since you are still under warranty I don't know why you would consider any other course of action but taking it to the SC for repair every stinking time you have this issue. It's simply unacceptable for any door on a car this expensive to not open just because it's raining outside, FWD or not.

I don't know what the exact data is on this but just looking at the posts here on TMC it anecdotally feels like the 2023s are having an unusual number of FWD issues right from the factory. Don't get me wrong, I've spent over a $1K on mine to replace a failed door controller and a USS that fell off inside the door, but it's the first FWD repair on a 2018 car with over 50K miles that literally bakes in the California sun. When I got mine repaired the tech said the sensors are extremely sensitive to the point where if the vehicle is repainted in its life or a gnat farts on the door, the sensors will malfunction. As complicated as they are I think all FWDs are prone to have an issue at some point but it sure seems like the 2023s are having problems when new and, prior to the refresh, you wouldn't usually see anything more than an alignment issue until the X got some years and miles under it's belt. I'm interested to know what the rest of the TMC community thinks...

Since you are still under warranty I don't know why you would consider any other course of action but taking it to the SC for repair every stinking time you have this issue. It's simply unacceptable for any door on a car this expensive to not open just because it's raining outside, FWD or not.
Thanks for that insight. My only hesitation with the service center is just that my wife and I are largely in opposite schedules and this is our kidmobile, so having to make an appointment and drive an hour(they moved the service center that was 5 minutes from my house to the other side of the city) in traffic, maybe need an Uber back or maybe get a loaner, only to have them tell me they can’t get the issue to occur in their presence, only to have that cycle repeat 10 times without any repairs being done is my greatest fear. Granted, I’m going to do it, but I’m anticipating having to sink 40 hours of time into it without a certain solution.

Thanks for that insight. My only hesitation with the service center is just that my wife and I are largely in opposite schedules and this is our kidmobile, so having to make an appointment and drive an hour(they moved the service center that was 5 minutes from my house to the other side of the city) in traffic, maybe need an Uber back or maybe get a loaner, only to have them tell me they can’t get the issue to occur in their presence, only to have that cycle repeat 10 times without any repairs being done is my greatest fear. Granted, I’m going to do it, but I’m anticipating having to sink 40 hours of time into it without a certain solution.
I scheduled the appointment through the app and it gave me a mobile appointment but I doubt that’s going to yield much of a result

I scheduled the appointment through the app and it gave me a mobile appointment but I doubt that’s going to yield much of a result
I'll send positive thoughts your way that they are either able to fix the problem or at least document the issue. I'm often surprised what the Mobile Service Rangers can do in the field. Some of those folks are pretty amazing. I once had my dash replaced in my M3 while my car was parked on the street. Also don't be surprised (now or in the future) if the app sets you up for a mobile appointment only to be told before they come out that the car has to go to the SC for reparis or diagnostics.

I'll send positive thoughts your way that they are either able to fix the problem or at least document the issue. I'm often surprised what the Mobile Service Rangers can do in the field. Some of those folks are pretty amazing. I once had my dash replaced in my M3 while my car was parked on the street. Also don't be surprised (now or in the future) if the app sets you up for a mobile appointment only to be told before they come out that the car has to go to the SC for reparis or diagnostics.
That’s actually exactly what I was expecting was it basically being gatekeeping SC appointments

Our 'old pre-refereshed' made at the end of the last run 9-2020 MX never had any problems with the FWD in 28k miles and 1.75 years. Had other problems, but never the doors.

New one a 6-2022 MX LR , drivers side had problem where 7-10 times was slow to open and had to override. Sensor or something fixed under warrantee. 2 months later, same door does it 10/10 times now. REALLY embarrassing when take new people who have never been in a Tesla for a ride (Yes, we have LOTS of them in Northern Wisconsin) and have to wait 20+ seconds for the door to creep open while pressing button and getting Override beeps.

SO annoying. Would think after making car since 2016, this wouldn't be a problem.

But in general Tesla is the LEAST reliable new car I've had in 20 years. More warrantee work than all the others (Ford, Chevy, Caddy, Dodge, Kia). But that is the Tesla way and until the other OEMs pull there head of of there butts and start competing (that means having a good charge network so the NACS news is a minus for Tesla and a + for Ford/GM) Tesla can do what they want. And they don't want to make reliable cars. Don't believe me, look at JD Powers and CR ratings. Tesla is FAR from a reliable brand. Think MX is BOTTOM of the list.

And our MXs have had multiple areas fixed under warrantee, not just the doors.

Always heard in the old days not to own a BMW out of warrantee unless like spending $$$$$. Think that is better now. But I don't want to own a Tesla not under warrantee.

At one time, not that long ago, Kia/ Hundai made unreliable cars. But I think they hired some German quality engeering guru, took his recommendations to heart and now are top 5 initial reliability. My daughter's experience, 2019 Kia Nero, 50k miles now, not 1 single problem. None, nada, zip. Hasn't seen ANY repair shop. Tesla could do it if the top king cared.

The Fanbois will probably hate this post. But to expand beyond the fans, you have to have reliable cars, with real controls. Real buttons don't hurt either.

Here is what I tell people:
Tesla is the Best ELECTRIC CAR.
But is it the best CAR? NOOOOOO!

After driving our Volt and getting back into the MX, I SO miss real controls, like the simple things. Turn stalks come to mind. Real Blind spot monitors. Auto wipers and headlights that work, etc. Best CARS have those things.

Last edited:
Our 'old pre-refereshed' made at the end of the last run 9-2020 MX never had any problems with the FWD in 28k miles and 1.75 years. Had other problems, but never the doors.

New one a 6-2022 MX LR , drivers side had problem where 7-10 times was slow to open and had to override. Sensor or something fixed under warrantee. 2 months later, same door does it 10/10 times now. REALLY embarrassing when take new people who have never been in a Tesla for a ride (Yes, we have LOTS of them in Northern Wisconsin) and have to wait 20+ seconds for the door to creep open while pressing button and getting Override beeps.

SO annoying. Would think after making car since 2016, this wouldn't be a problem.

But in general Tesla is the LEAST reliable new car I've had in 20 years. More warrantee work than all the others (Ford, Chevy, Caddy, Dodge, Kia). But that is the Tesla way and until the other OEMs pull there head of of there butts and start competing (that means having a good charge network so the NACS news is a minus for Tesla and a + for Ford/GM) Tesla can do what they want. And they don't want to make reliable cars. Don't believe me, look at JD Powers and CR ratings. Tesla is FAR from a reliable brand. Think MX is BOTTOM of the list.

And our MXs have had multiple areas fixed under warrantee, not just the doors.

Always heard in the old days not to own a BMW out of warrantee unless like spending $$$$$. Think that is better now. But I don't want to own a Tesla not under warrantee.

At one time, not that long ago, Kia/ Hundai made unreliable cars. But I think they hired some German quality engeering guru, took his recommendations to heart and now are top 5 initial reliability. My daughter's experience, 2019 Kia Nero, 50k miles now, not 1 single problem. None, nada, zip. Hasn't seen ANY repair shop. Tesla could do it if the top king cared.

The Fanbois will probably hate this post. But to expand beyond the fans, you have to have reliable cars, with real controls. Real buttons don't hurt either.

Here is what I tell people:
Tesla is the Best ELECTRIC CAR.
But is it the best CAR? NOOOOOO!

After driving our Volt and getting back into the MX, I SO miss real controls, like the simple things. Turn stalks come to mind. Real Blind spot monitors. Auto wipers and headlights that work, etc.
Thanks for that perspective. I mostly agree. In all honesty I think I could tolerate the door issue a lot better if the manual release wasn’t inside the speaker grille. It really should be easily accessible and from the front seats as well.

Reactions: rpo and FirstInTown
I wonder what the NTSB would think about the safety of doors that take 20 seconds to open? Seems like a safety hazard honestly.

So why don't I just go and get it fixed? Well I did. And it stay fixed for less than 2 months. Service center is 3+ hours away each way and not open on weekends, so I have to take a day off to go do it. Try to group all my problems into 1 trip before I go and do that. So far only this and one other problem currently (other is door rubber seal is detaching from front doors, can see when open door and look at hinge. Not major but 2020 also did this. Check yours....)

Reactions: TeamSolar
Did anyone get confirmation on the cost to replace the sensors in one FWD?

My passenger side detects an obstacle at all time and refuses to open unless I manually hold the button. Mobile ranger said that when the vehicle gets extremely hot, the adhesives on the sensors give out, then it detects the door itself as an obstacle.

It’s a pain in the ass to manually hold the button. But if it’s going to be $1k to replace the sensors, that might be worse pain 😆

For anyone following along, I had a service center appointment today and the guy checking me in was like “oh a door sensor issue?! Should be an easy fix.”

I explained what was happening and two hours later my car was ready for pickup along with a report that said “could not replicate issue. Sensors detecting objects fine.”

• Funny
Reactions: rpo
Did anyone get confirmation on the cost to replace the sensors in one FWD?

My passenger side detects an obstacle at all time and refuses to open unless I manually hold the button. Mobile ranger said that when the vehicle gets extremely hot, the adhesives on the sensors give out, then it detects the door itself as an obstacle.

It’s a pain in the ass to manually hold the button. But if it’s going to be $1k to replace the sensors, that might be worse pain 😆
EV's Republic charged me about $430 for reattaching the sensor. The epoxy needed to cure overnight so I had to pick the car up the next business day. I hesitate even mentioning this here because I know not everyone has the option to use a third-party EV shop that actually knows how to properly repair a Tesla. They had previously replaced the door control module and then the damn sensor detached (just my luck), but now it's working perfectly. I'm curious for someone to post what Tesla charges for this same work.

• Informative
I have the obstacle detected problem on the driver side FWD when there's no obstacle. It was embarrassing today when I had my Mom go in the back seat as I was hauling stuff in the front passenger seat and the other rear seat also had stuff.

Attached is the error message and what was actually next to the car (nothing). It seems to happen all the time when it's hot or sunny. Most annoying.

I try to avoid using the FWDs as much as possible as they are simply terrible. Even when they work properly they are a pain.

I didn't know I had to hold the button for 20 seconds but will try next time. I was opening it from the outside and then manually opening it more; enough so that she could get in and out.

The right door doesn't have this problem, thankfully...

I'm guessing it's another sensor glue issue. Is there a way I can access it to fix it myself? I still can't figure out exactly where the USS is on the FWDs.

I don't like the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on something that should be simple to fix.

Attachments

• IMG20230722175156.jpg
    IMG20230722175156.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG20230722175209.jpg
    IMG20230722175209.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 68