Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faulty Key Fob MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, bought a used MX last week but one of the keys doesn't work at all. I understand that even without a battery inside if you place the key at the bottom of the rear door it should unlock the car and placing the key under the 12v socket will start the car but none of these things work and I have to use my phone to do those things which is quite annoying. Is there anything I could try before paying £130 for tesla to provide a new one? Thanks

This problem is not uncommon and there are other links to this problem in the search field of this web site. The first thing to check is to see if the battery in the fob is good- invest in a good battery tester and replace the battery if there is any question. However, sometimes the fobs just go dead, sometimes they end up in a toilet or bowl of water and are damaged that way, sometimes they just stop working. I had a problem like that, and had the service ranger come out for service- He took it apart to see if there was any indication of water damage. There was none and he replaced the key without charge (I have an extended warranty). I also bought another backup key just in case. If you are out of warranty and the key is dead and cannot be revived, you will need to purchase a new key. Do what you can.

If there is a dead/low battery in the fob, you might try taking it out in case the low voltage is worse than no voltage. I've had at least two fob replacements under warranty, though, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you put a new battery in and it doesn't work, I've seen reports that the one of the components that connects the battery can be bent such that it either doesn't connect or shorts, so you might also look at that to see if there is anything to bend to ensure a good connection.