Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having security issues using a Phone Key and a new MY LR.

My Mrs had her Samsung S21U on the wireless charger by the bedside, and as I'd parked on that side of the house, so adjacent but below the bedroom, I was a bit shocked that I could go out, unlock the car! that's approx 4M with a cavity wall inbetween! (My phone was in the back of the house, so definitely not that one!), but considering her phone was stationary, charging and it still was close enough seems a bit scary..

My question would be, does the key fob also have quite a range? or is it UWB and only works when right next to the car?
Did you troubleshoot by individually turning off bluetooth on the handsets?

Sometimes I go out and shocked when it happens to me as well but I keep forgetting that my watch is paired as a key as well 🫢

• Helpful
Reactions: snubbers
I just tested this with my Honor Pro 5, 3m away from car with a wall with a window in between, I was not able to open the car. The app showed it was connected to the car.
You shouldn’t - not sure what happened on that scenario - the BT range is pretty close around 4to5 feet.
Did you troubleshoot by individually turning off bluetooth on the handsets?

Sometimes I go out and shocked when it happens to me as well but I keep forgetting that my watch is paired as a key as well 🫢

My Samsung S22U behaves better, but I have noticed that the phone being stationary seems to factor in. I went outside, opened a window so I could quickly place the phone approx 2M away and then put it inside the house, and this seemed to work, but if I got someone to pick the phone up, but stood inside the window, I could then unlock the car again..

I turned off my phone as a key in the app and left my phone at the back of the house, so the only phone in range was my Wifes, and it was more out of curiosity when locking up the house I popped outside and unlocked the car, sat in, pressed the brake and it selected her profile! When I got out, it never locked.. I had to take her phone, disable it as a phone key and then lock the car from her app.

I will check again tonight, as I tried quite a few tests, maybe it had latched in some way.. I was doing quite a bit of testing, getting people to go and keep seeing if they could unlock the car!

Which is why if all else fails I'm wondering what distance/technology the Model Y Keyfob uses? I guess I might be unlucky in that the drives both end at the house, with the front room/bedrooms etc we use all so close..

Is there any tell tale from the app if the phone is within the required bluetooth distance? shame they don't have some diagnostics page you can see the status of things from, then we could definitively know.

[edit] I check her phone and the Tesla app permissions, it had precise location enabled..as that was another thought..

Last edited:
Key fob is really handy for stopping charges, unlocking (and opening) the charge port without pulling out your phone in the rain or talking to Siri or whatever. it is I'll admit a pretty decadent solution to that problem though.

Will also open the bonnet without said phone or the intolerable burden of opening a car door and leaning in to press on a screen.
charge point is... touch sensitive... you know? You just tap charge point and that's it.
and all tesla chargers had a button - you press it and charger door opens :/

[edit] I check her phone and the Tesla app permissions, it had precise location enabled..as that was another thought..
Tesla says keep it as Always but not sure whether precise location enabled identifies both your phone and car as if in the same location.

See below
  • Access to your location is enabled. Open the Tesla mobile app in your phone's settings and select Location > Always. For the best experience, keep the mobile app running in the background.

• Helpful
Tesla says keep it as Always but not sure whether precise location enabled identifies both your phone and car as if in the same location.

See below
  • Access to your location is enabled. Open the Tesla mobile app in your phone's settings and select Location > Always. For the best experience, keep the mobile app running in the background.
Thanks, I did that, although latest android only has 3 options:
- Allow only while using the app
- Ask everytime
- Dont allow

And a toggle for "Use precise location"

I've checked both phones and they are set to "Allow only while using the app" and "Use Precise Location" is swtiched on.

I'll check again tonight, the car is on the other side of the house, so will get someone to keep checking the car and if it can unlock whilst I wander around the house. with each phone in turn.. the neighbours will think I'm mental, but its worth it for peace of mind!

I bought one before I even received my car because, like many others, I was coming from an ICE car and I just felt like having a key was normal.

I only use it for opening the bonnet or boot remotely. I've ALWAYS got my phone in my pocket otherwise.

I also find that sometimes it just stops working. I suspect that its in my pocket pressing buttons and its some kind of timeout feature or something like that. I did have a similar problem years ago with other cars where the remote fob would just not work for a bit.

I keep looking at it and thinking its time to take it off my keys and put it in a drawer as an emergency backup and just embrace the future. I also have Tessie on my galaxy watch and thats paired as a key too so....little excuse anymore.

I'm having security issues using a Phone Key and a new MY LR.

My Mrs had her Samsung S21U on the wireless charger by the bedside, and as I'd parked on that side of the house, so adjacent but below the bedroom, I was a bit shocked that I could go out, unlock the car! that's approx 4M with a cavity wall inbetween! (My phone was in the back of the house, so definitely not that one!), but considering her phone was stationary, charging and it still was close enough seems a bit scary..
That sounds about normal for a Samsung S21, it's come up before including in How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts.

When I first got the car I turned the phone key off for that reason, but finally decided that with PIN-to-drive enabled the benefits outweighed the cost. But, our living/sleeping quarters are on the far side from the drive otherwise I would have that same problem, and it's a case of being careful where you park (e.g. don't park right next to the restaurant in case you end up on a table near the car park etc.) or being prepared to turn bluetooth off.

You shouldn’t - not sure what happened on that scenario - the BT range is pretty close around 4to5 feet.
Not for everyone - How Far Away Does Your Phone Key Work to Unlock ?.

• Helpful
See @MrBadger post above. The locking happens based on various factors but unlocking happens mostly in arms reach of the car if you are with iOS atleast.
Not necessarily on Android though, you may find the poll interesting - How Far Away Does Your Phone Key Work to Unlock ? (although this was a while ago).

I once tested this with a Tesla technician in the Tesla workshop and got several car lengths away from the car and it would still unlock, he was going to escalate it but never heard anything.

It means I don't trust the walk-away lock as I'm so far away by the time it locks that you can't easily tell whether the mirrors have folded or not, but it's easy to lock it with the phone on the door pillar as you leave.

I just noticed that the car has the key icon in iOS Bluetooth settings* and even though I am a considerable distance away, it was saying ‘connected’ until I refreshed the screen. Not in a position to physically check.

Hoping that this new way of doing things has not made the car less secure.

* in addition to the Model 3 car connection (not connected)

That sounds about normal for a Samsung S21, it's come up before including in How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts.

When I first got the car I turned the phone key off for that reason, but finally decided that with PIN-to-drive enabled the benefits outweighed the cost. But, our living/sleeping quarters are on the far side from the drive otherwise I would have that same problem, and it's a case of being careful where you park (e.g. don't park right next to the restaurant in case you end up on a table near the car park etc.) or being prepared to turn bluetooth off.

Not for everyone - How Far Away Does Your Phone Key Work to Unlock ?.
Thanks..

Did some more testing, and yes, around 4M from the car but inside the house, the S21U will allow it to unlock, will turn that one off as a phone key, she can still tap it on the B pillar, the NFC works fine, or she can use the card.

My S22U is better though..

I was thinking of using a PIN, but in reality, having had some opportunists target our street (nice quiet suburban close) before ransack a few unlocked cars, I'd rather it just worked..

However, it's a US company, so no surprise they probably can't comprehend that your car may be parked within 2m of the house and if it is, it'll be locked away in your triple garage.. :)

it's a US company, so no surprise they probably can't comprehend that your car may be parked within 2m of the house and if it is, it'll be locked away in your triple garage..

Plenty of other circumstances ("away from home" e.g. car park) where you might be near the car

When this has come up previously there are phones which won't open the car if they are in a back pocket, and others that will do so from the far side of the car park, so I think a lot depends on the phone model.

There has been chatter of a different protocol (sorry, forgotten the technical name) which is able to deduce "distance" rather than just "Connected / Not connected", and clearly that would be better.

I also think that the recently introduced "Activity mode" option (again, forgotten the name, sorry) may help. I said DISABLE on mine when I installed that update (and I now can't find how to change that anywhere), but (from subsequent reading) I think that may be intended to detect when the phone isn't (hasn't) moving, and then disable unlock (and/or save some battery). Sounds like, from your test (i.e. phone had sat still in upstairs bedroom for some time), that wasn't the case. Might be something to consider - if you can find the option!