Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feasible to add solar roof with existing generator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
Looking for thoughts on whether adding a solar roof with powerwalls is feasible or even makes any sense. I currently have a 20kw natural gas Kohler generator that is connected via an automatic transfer switch. I figure it would cost an arm and a leg to rip that out and was wondering if the two could co-exist. I guess the generator would be redundant as long as I don't lose too much power for long.

Looking for thoughts on whether adding a solar roof with powerwalls is feasible or even makes any sense. I currently have a 20kw natural gas Kohler generator that is connected via an automatic transfer switch. I figure it would cost an arm and a leg to rip that out and was wondering if the two could co-exist. I guess the generator would be redundant as long as I don't lose too much power for long.
Lets see, I have about 30KW of solar, 5 powerwalls, and a 22kw propane generator. I am set for anything that gets thrown my way

Just had my solar installed (no PW's) with my whole house generator with ATS. Solar was connected to the line side of the ATS, with the CT clamps placed above that. You can see in the pic the solar tapped into the line side and the CT's.

IMG_0591.jpg