Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Speed Camera Notifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In NYC, we currently have 950 speed cameras and the number is expected to grow to 2,000 by the end of 2021.

Shortly before starting the speed camera program, they lowered the speed limit on city streets to 25mph, if you’re caught going 10 over (36mph), you get a $50 speeding ticket in the mail.

The cameras are strategically placed to make as much profit as possible, for example some 2-lane streets are 40mph in one direction but randomly drop to 30mph in the opposite direction so if you do 41mph, it’s a $50 ticket. Many of the speed limits drop randomly before the camera, and many are improperly calibrated and require a court date to fight the ticket. Last year the city made over $100 million in profit off the cameras.

I’m not going to argue about the cameras whether you agree with them or not, but everyone I know here drives around with Waze open to alert of an upcoming camera, myself included.

It would be really helpful if Tesla could add the speed cameras to the map and have a option to alert you if you’re coming up on one. Waze allows users to submit camera locations and they update the map accordingly.

In NYC, we currently have 950 speed cameras and the number is expected to grow to 2,000 by the end of 2021.

Shortly before starting the speed camera program, they lowered the speed limit on city streets to 25mph, if you’re caught going 10 over (36mph), you get a $50 speeding ticket in the mail.

The cameras are strategically placed to make as much profit as possible, for example some 2-lane streets are 40mph in one direction but randomly drop to 30mph in the opposite direction so if you do 41mph, it’s a $50 ticket. Many of the speed limits drop randomly before the camera, and many are improperly calibrated and require a court date to fight the ticket. Last year the city made over $100 million in profit off the cameras.

I’m not going to argue about the cameras whether you agree with them or not, but everyone I know here drives around with Waze open to alert of an upcoming camera, myself included.

It would be really helpful if Tesla could add the speed cameras to the map and have a option to alert you if you’re coming up on one. Waze allows users to submit camera locations and they update the map accordingly.

Likely never to happen for numerous reasons. In the US while Radar detectors and such are legal, in many jurisdicitions they are in a grey area or outright illegal. In Switzerland even Waze cannot show radars. Having a radar detector is totally illegal and you can get a huge fine. That said, apps are a grey area, but TomTom, Garmin, etc will not preload them or they risk being shut out of the Swiss market. Other countries are the same. The best workaround for me is to use Radarbot Pro and put my iPhone on the wireless charging mat with the door open. RadarBot Pro is very accurate and includes mobile radars and community reports like waze and aggregates a lot of this data from Waze and other sources. Just my $0.02

• Informative
Reactions: Forensic

Yea, a public company won’t implement software who’s sole purpose is to allow users to break the law.

Just in case the OP wasn't aware, TMC is completely independent from Tesla, Inc. So a feature request posted here has no guarantee whatsoever of being seen by a Tesla employee.

(This is of course completely independent of issues of legality.)

Bruce.

Yea, a public company won’t implement software who’s sole purpose is to allow users to break the law.

Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze also support this feature. It’s purpose is not to allow users to break the law, but to alert people as to where the cameras are located while driving. If using a car with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, it would already have this functionality.

Just in case the OP wasn't aware, TMC is completely independent from Tesla, Inc. So a feature request posted here has no guarantee whatsoever of being seen by a Tesla employee.

(This is of course completely independent of issues of legality.)

Bruce.

Yes I’m aware, just thought this is maybe a good place to let the idea gain traction and discuss it.

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze also support this feature. It’s purpose is not to allow users to break the law, but to alert people as to where the cameras are located while driving. If using a car with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, it would already have this functionality.

Yes I’m aware, just thought this is maybe a good place to let the idea gain traction and discuss it.

Nope, wrong. The sole purpose is to avoid getting speeding tickets. If you drive the speed limit you don’t need to worry about speed cameras. Arguing otherwise is pretty ridiculous.

Reactions: Bacalao
Nope, wrong. The sole purpose is to avoid getting speeding tickets. If you drive the speed limit you don’t need to worry about speed cameras. Arguing otherwise is pretty ridiculous.

I really didn’t want to get into a debate about the cameras themselves, but let me explain it to you since unless you live here, it’s hard to understand how unethical and dangerous these cameras are.

First of all the city made a blanket law that all streets that were previously 30mph were now 25mph. This is ridiculous because on many roads the 30mph speed limit was already very low, especially in the outer boroughs. Then they decided to change the definition of what constitutes a school-zone so now the cameras can be placed in areas nowhere near a school.

Many, many times it is safer to go above the 25mph posted speed limit to go around large truck or avoid a dangerous/inattentive driver. We’re not talking about going 90mph, we’re talking about 25mph on roads that should be 40mph to begin with.

Now we have drivers that realize that the camera is coming up at the last second and slam on their brakes because they’re unsure if they’re going above 25mph or not. It happens literally every single day and it significantly more dangerous then traveling 30mph on a 2-lane road. Plus constantly checking your speedometer to see if you’re traveling 25mph or 30mph is way more distracting then just driving at a reasonable speed.

On top of all this many of them are improperly calibrated and give tickets for going 1mph over the limit which requires you to go to court to fight it.

They’re there for one reason and one reason only, to make maximum profit for the city.

You can disagree, I don’t care, you’re not going to change my mind or the mind of anyone who lives here and experiences it. Apple, Google, and Waze already offer this functionality, it’s not unreasonable to ask Tesla to do the same.

Last edited:

I disagree.

Cool. They shouldn’t as it’s an unnecessary risk to shareholders. They shouldn’t actively hep users break laws.

Better tell Google and Apple...

I really didn’t want to get into a debate about the cameras themselves, but let me explain it to you since unless you live here, it’s hard to understand how unethical and dangerous these cameras are.

First of all the city made a blanket law that all streets that were previously 30mph were now 25mph. This is ridiculous because on many roads the 30mph speed limit was already very low, especially in the outer boroughs. Then they decided to change the definition of what constitutes a school-zone so now the cameras can be placed in areas nowhere near a school.

Many, many times it is safer to go above the 25mph posted speed limit to go around large truck or avoid a dangerous/inattentive driver. We’re not talking about going 90mph, we’re talking about 25mph on roads that should be 40mph to begin with.

Now we have drivers that realize that the camera is coming up at the last second and slam on their brakes because they’re unsure if they’re going above 25mph or not. It happens literally every single day and it significantly more dangerous then traveling 30mph on a 2-lane road. Plus constantly checking your speedometer to see if you’re traveling 25mph or 30mph is way more distracting then just driving at a reasonable speed.

On top of all this many of them are improperly calibrated and give tickets for going 1mph over the limit which requires you to go to court to fight it.

They’re there for one reason and one reason only, to make maximum profit for the city.

You can disagree, I don’t care, you’re not going to change my mind or the mind of anyone who lives here and experiences it. Apple, Google, and Waze already offer this functionality, it’s not unreasonable to ask Tesla to do the same.

Cool, so your argument is that the speed limit is too low so everyone speeds anyway. And, instead of adjusting driving expectations to adhere to the applicable laws, we should just create speed camera warnings that will either help avoid said laws or lead to similar instances where people slam on their breaks when a camera is identified. Good argument.

Reactions: Bacalao
Here is solution to this problem, stop speeding especially in NYC.

Please read my post above about the issues with that statement. Also NYC isn’t just congested Manhattan, there’s 4 other boroughs as well.

I don’t understand why people want to debate the cameras themselves, that’s not the point of this post. It’s a simple feature that every other map already offers.

Please read my post above about the issues with that statement. Also NYC isn’t just congested Manhattan, there’s 4 other boroughs as well.

I don’t understand why people want to debate the cameras themselves, that’s not the point of this post. It’s a simple feature that every other map already offers.

Yes of course.... "Hey Google" can you please tell me if I about to get caught braking the law.

What next.... Somebody robbing your house and robbers be like " Hey google, tell me if police is coming so I can leave before they can get here"

I disagree.

I don't live in NYC but in California.

A speed trap is just like a construction zone (for which it would also be great to have notifications) - people slam on their brakes even if going the speed limit. It's a nice thing to know that it's there, especially if it's around a corner. Just one more thing to increase my awareness of the road.

Yes of course.... "Hey Google" can you please tell me if I about to get caught braking the law.

What next.... Somebody robbing your house and robbers be like " Hey google, tell me if police is coming so I can leave before they can get here"

Yes, Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps literally announce when you’re coming up on a camera.

Again, please read my post above. This isn’t about recklessly driving, I always drive the speed limit and drive safely, but it’s very, very easy to go above 25mph during normal driving without realizing. We aren’t talking about speeding at 60mph in a 30mph zone. This is also assuming all the cameras are functioning properly and properly calibrated, which they aren’t.

It’s actually safer to know their locations for others too so you can anticipate the random sudden braking that happens right before the camera.

I get that I’m not going to change your guys minds, but please understand that it is in the best interest for the safety of everyone on the road to know when these cameras are coming up. The safest type of driver is predictable, and being able to predict what other vehicles are going to do is imperative for the safety of everyone on the road.

I can see both sides of the argument and frankly we are all entitled to our opinions. In Switzerland and Europe we have camera's everywhere and it's a part of life. However I believe we have every right to know where they are and this should not be some deep state secret. If you speed and get caught you get a ticket. Fine. That said, many of these are used for revenue generation with the excuse of public safety. In Switzerland, versus France, we are fortunate in that most of these are fixed radars/cameras and we very rarely see a cop with a radar gun. In France you can quite often see cops with radar guns especially during travel and vacation periods.

Different countries have different rules and regulations with respect to citizens and what they can use. In Switzerland it is against the law to have a radar detector. They've also had Waze, TomTom and Garmin remove these POI's from their mapping. You can always add them to Garmin and TomTom devices yourself using tools like scdb.info. Based on these country jurisdictional differences we will never see Tesla implement this in my opinion.

As I've stated earlier in this thread, an easy solution for me is to use Radarbot Pro on my iPhone and just have the phone sitting in console charging with the door open. Been perfect. I drive responsibly and go with the flow of traffic. In MANY cases traffic exceeds the posted speeds in areas by 10-15 Kmh and this can get you a fine from a camera. I like the peace of mind to see these traps 500 meters ahead of time and adjust my speed accordingly in a responsible way without slamming on the brakes when I see a camera.