Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Speed Camera Notifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see both sides of the argument and frankly we are all entitled to our opinions. In Switzerland and Europe we have camera's everywhere and it's a part of life. .

I drove in Switzerland and you guys being a sneaky bastards sometimes with those cameras, :p:p. Especially with those portable speed cameras, never know where they will end up. You guy a very strict in terms of speeding and fines.

I drove in Switzerland and you guys being a sneaky bastards sometimes with those cameras, :p:p. Especially with those portable speed cameras, never know where they will end up. You guy a very strict in terms of speeding and fines.

Haha, not only that but if you exceed the speed limit by a certain limit they base your fine on your personal income. This is so the pain is felt the same for everyone and the rich don't just snub it off like nothing. And I mean you can get fines in the 1000's.

Haha, not only that but if you exceed the speed limit by a certain limit they base your fine on your personal income. This is so the pain is felt the same for everyone and the rich don't just snub it off like nothing. And I mean you can get fines in the 1000's.

I remember a guy got caught doing 200+. His car got impounded and he was issued a ticket for more than I make per year.

No, drivers should be paying attention to the cars around them and should maintain a safe follow distance in order to anticipate and react to any sudden changes in traffic patterns.

Drivers should be paying attention either way. Similar to things like forward-collision warnings, or lane departure warnings, more awareness and early warnings are a good thing, not a bad thing.

In NYC, we currently have 950 speed cameras and the number is expected to grow to 2,000 by the end of 2021.

Shortly before starting the speed camera program, they lowered the speed limit on city streets to 25mph, if you’re caught going 10 over (36mph), you get a $50 speeding ticket in the mail.

The cameras are strategically placed to make as much profit as possible, for example some 2-lane streets are 40mph in one direction but randomly drop to 30mph in the opposite direction so if you do 41mph, it’s a $50 ticket. Many of the speed limits drop randomly before the camera, and many are improperly calibrated and require a court date to fight the ticket. Last year the city made over $100 million in profit off the cameras.

I’m not going to argue about the cameras whether you agree with them or not, but everyone I know here drives around with Waze open to alert of an upcoming camera, myself included.

It would be really helpful if Tesla could add the speed cameras to the map and have a option to alert you if you’re coming up on one. Waze allows users to submit camera locations and they update the map accordingly.

i didnt even know the usa had speed cameras!

I live in the UK. There are lots of speed cameras and traffic light cameras. Waze has notifications for these. Also, Lexus navigation (and, I am sure, all the big manufacturers) offer these notifications with their navigation systems. Tesla should definitely offer this or we all have to keep using Waze which is stupid with a huge 15" screen and no Apple Car Play.

I live in the UK. There are lots of speed cameras and traffic light cameras. Waze has notifications for these. Also, Lexus navigation (and, I am sure, all the big manufacturers) offer these notifications with their navigation systems. Tesla should definitely offer this or we all have to keep using Waze which is stupid with a huge 15" screen and no Apple Car Play.
On somes Country Waze is not autorize to publish this info in Switzerland for example is not OK to indicate where is radars

The cameras are strategically placed to make as much profit as possible,
Actually, they are strategically placed to save children's lives. The cameras are all near schools. Not only that, but they are only operating from 6am-10pm on weekdays. (Source: NYC school zone speed cameras ticket 1 million motorists in 3 months)

Additionally, the city reduced the speed from 30 to 25mph to save lives. A pedestrian who is struck by a vehicle traveling at 30 MPH is twice as likely to be killed as a pedestrian struck by a vehicle traveling at 25 MPH. (Source: Streets Week!: New York City Lowers Speed Limits on 45 Miles of Major Streets)

Look -- I would love speed camera notifications to be built in to the Tesla map as well. But the city isn't using speed cameras as an income generating scheme. They are trying to save lives.

And I live in NYC, in an outer borough, and have for 2 decades. And am a car owner (but also a bicyclist and pedestrian depending on the trip).

Reactions: JBT66
I got a speeding ticket in the mail. No idea when and where. Nobody cares. Just pay and resume life.

I liked it when you'd get caught, slapped a fine on the spot. It would be a real wake up call. Slowed me down for a good year.

But these mail in hidden cameras are not benefiting anyone.

I use waze to help me slow down. So it works.

In my opinion it's all about slowing you down in many ways as possible.
If that means putting hidden cameras everywhere, getting cops on the road, penalize you based on points or your income, that's fine...
But also using apps to find cameras so you slow own before getting caught should also be fine. It means the system is working and its just another method for slowing down.

Since using waze, I've been slower more often than before and its really nice that your warned of an upcoming camera as it makes you more alert in that particular zone, which might be a dangerous or accident zone or something similar.

In my opinion it's all about slowing you down in many ways as possible.
If that means putting hidden cameras everywhere, getting cops on the road, penalize you based on points or your income, that's fine...
But also using apps to find cameras so you slow own before getting caught should also be fine. It means the system is working and its just another method for slowing down.

Since using waze, I've been slower more often than before and its really nice that your warned of an upcoming camera as it makes you more alert in that particular zone, which might be a dangerous or accident zone or something similar.

if the government want people to slow down they introduce a speed limit of 60km/h and then there would be no deaths. traveling at higher speeds is not the issue, the poor driver attitude in australia is. its not the answer and i get very frustrated driving here as a european.