Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV coming this budget 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR base will not be long for this world. Don't count on it being available after May 1st.

The KONA and Niro base aren't available at all at the current time in Canada and will only be offered in micro-quantity. (All of which would have sold without any federal rebate.)

Tesla can offer a limited number of 3SR at $44,995 + $3,000* and this will qualify all Model 3 vehicles costing less than $55,000 before transportation fees.

* Changing the transportation fee to $3,000 is to be on equal footing with some Hyundai dealerships which tack on fees of up to $3,000.

Reactions: bpjod and BBone
The KONA and Niro base aren't available at all at the current time in Canada and will only be offered in micro-quantity. (All of which would have sold without any federal rebate.)

Tesla can offer a limited number of 3SR at $44,995 + $3,000* and this will qualify all Model 3 vehicles costing less than $55,000 before transportation fees.

* Changing the transportation fee to $3,000 is to be on equal footing with some Hyundai dealerships which tack on fees of up to $3,000.

they could but it would have to be a Special Canadian Edition for $33666 US ( $44929 Can.) as I don't think they want to offer it all around the world. Getting rid of the real SR Model 3 was not for nothing.

Last edited:
Too bad, there isn't a $44,999 M3 SR available, then a $48,000 SR+ or even a MR / LR might be eligible.

"You will still be eligible for the incentive even if delivery, freight and other fees, such as vehicle colour and add-on accessories, push the actual purchase price over these set limits."

So, colour upgrades, AP, FSD, wheels are not counted towards the $55k limit for higher trim of the vehicle.

they could but it would have to be a Special Canadian Edition for $33666 US ( $44929 Can.) as I don't think they want to offer it all around the world.

In the past, they did offer a special German edition at a reduced price just to qualify for a rebate. On the other hand , there was once a $125,600 Canadian S that they wouldn't drop to $124,999 to qualify for a $3,000 rebate in Quebec, even though they could have adjusted the transportation fee to compensate.

But, a limited edition $44,999 3 could come without Supercharging and a further 10% reduction in range. Buyers would have the option later to unlock range and Supercharging for a fee. As long as most people end up paying the fee, Tesla will not lose money on the base model while helping sales of $54,000 versions.

Reactions: Gen3
I'm referencing:

Zero-emission vehicles - Transport Canada

To be eligible for the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles program, you have to purchase or lease:

• a vehicle with six seats or fewer, where the base model (trim) Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $45,000;
    • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $55,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives

Tesla said SR can still be purchased via Phone and in stores.. so that technically makes SR+ a 'higher priced version (trim)"
So SR+ will fall under the $55,000.

Or do they mean... MSRP has to be $45,000 or less AND higher trim to be MSRP $55,000 or less ?

Then yeah that doesn't work.

I'm referencing:

To be eligible for the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles program, you have to purchase or lease:

• a vehicle with six seats or fewer, where the base model (trim) Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $45,000;
    • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $55,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives

Tesla said SR can still be purchased via Phone and in stores.. so that technically makes SR+ a 'higher priced version (trim)"
But there is no Base model version available for $45K. You need A (base model) before you can apply the logic for B (higher trim)

I'm referencing:

Or do they mean... MSRP has to be $45,000 or less AND higher trim to be MSRP $55,000 or less ?

Then yeah that doesn't work.

Base model at less than 45,000 has to be published. Current base model of the Model 3 until further notice on or at May 1st is SR+ 53700.

The call in SR is off-list and further to this was more than $45000.

The solution is quite simple
Offer the Canadian-only SR-, with no supercharging access, battery range limited to 200km (or whatever is the minimum to have the full 5k$ rebate), and w/e else they can disable with software, and then offer the unlocking of SR+ as an option.

Guys, hate to be the devil's advocate for all of this, but is it really going to even be worth Tesla's time to offer a special Canadian only version of the model 3? I mean, people are buying the car anyway and there is more to offering a 'one off' model than just changing a price code and selling it.

Don't get me wrong, it is stupid how once again Tesla's are excluded....but perhaps part of the government thinking is that there is unprecedented demand for Tesla's right now, so maybe they don't need the extra incentive since people are buying them sans rebate (aside from BC and QC of course).

So, maybe the thinking is if they help out the other manufacturers it helps competition in the market. I mean, demand for the model 3 is orders of magnitude above a bolt, so in theory Tesla's mfg cost should be lower than that of the bolt due to economies of scale (not saying I believe this, but that it may be a thought process that was presented).

Therefore, incentivizing the bolt and not the model 3 allows them to compete and prevent tesla from forming a monopoly....just trying to look at this from a non "everyone has it in for tesla" standpoint....I am the eternal optimist :oops:

Reactions: X.l.r.8 and Vawlkus