Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV coming this budget 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frequent comments included "if you can afford a car that expensive you don't need a rebate" and "the rich get richer at the expense of the little guy".

There was no arguing with these people - and I think that the perception was wide-spread at the time (certainly enough to force the Liberals to amend the program).

I wouldn't argue with them but I wouldn't wither up and go away either.

A simple comment like: "the billionaires get all the best tax breaks, I saw an opportunity to get a tax break for myself and I got a car that's super fun and efficient to drive at the same time" will generally shut the ignorant people up. It's best if you say it in a happy and enthusiastic manner. People have a hard time being negative when you're really happy.

Don't be taken aback or apologetic. The wrong thing to say is "I know, it was a real splurge for me and I feel a little guilty" or "everyone benefits from the cleaner air". Just tell them how happy you are to be able to own such a nice driving car that is so powerful and how you feel like you're getting your share of the tax breaks that usually go to much wealthier people. Rub it in a little. The next thing you know they will be buying one for themselves!

• Love
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Also Tesla used to have on the Canadian Incentives page a mention of a possible Federal Incentive.

which has now been removed with this left.

Electric Vehicle Incentives

British Columbia $5,000 rebate for vehicles with a base price under $77,000
Up to $750 rebate on Wall Connector and installation
Carpool lane access (with official EV decal)
Ontario Carpool lane access
Québec Up to $8,000 rebate for vehicles with a base price under $75,000
Up to $3,000 rebate for vehicles with a base price between $75,000 and $125,000
Up to $600 rebate on Wall Connector and installation
Reserved lane access (with official EV decal)
Sign-up for free toll bridges and ferry access
Please refer to the program websites for the latest information.

Electric Vehicle Incentives

According to their list, if the base model qualifies, the loaded model qualifies and transport, preparation and dealer fees don't count.

So, a Kona EV preferred (which isn't even available in Canada yet) at $44,995 + up to $3,000 in fees depending on the stealership is eligible and it makes the Kona EV Ultimate at $52,000 + $3,000 eligible too.

A base 3 SR at $47,600 + $1,300 is not eligible, though.

The dealer and traditional auto manufacturer lobbies are happy with this program which is all about protectionism and little about the environment.

Hopefully my just ordered SR+ will be delivered on May 1st or after. Tesla can lobby the Transport Ministry to get the Model 3 SR+ on the list which is not yet final or ever will be as they can add and delete at will. Here is one instance where I hope Tesla do deliver in 3 to 4 weeks time.