Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV coming this budget 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as you take possession of your M3 SR+ costing no more than $55,000 on May 1st or after you still have a chance as long as their is still incentive budget remaining. I'm out cause I purchased FSD for my SR+ so I well pass the limit. If they call me tomorrow to pick it up I'm there.
I don't think so.

From the website: You will still be eligible for the incentive even if delivery, freight and other fees, such as vehicle colour and add-on accessories, push the actual purchase price over these set limits.

Which means if somehow Tesla can bring the base price of a model 3 SR- (less than an SR) to less than $45k, then SR/SR+ will also be eligible. Then the colour, AP, FSD, freight, etc are not counted towards to this limit.

• Informative
Reactions: Vitold
Agreed, only two things matters
1- having _a_ version of the car that is under 45k before options and fees (SR- barebone)
2- having the version of the car that you want under 55k before options and fees (SR+ with AP, FSD, red, white interior, 19" wheels etc)

We're missing #1

Required fees don't seem to matter. For example, you can bet socked up to $3,000 in transportation, preparation, administrative, and dealer fees on a Kona EV, but their vaporware $44,995 + fees +taxes preferred version still qualifies the $55,000 Ultimate version for the rebate.

I don't think so.

From the website: You will still be eligible for the incentive even if delivery, freight and other fees, such as vehicle colour and add-on accessories, push the actual purchase price over these set limits.

Which means if somehow Tesla can bring the base price of a model 3 SR- (less than an SR) to less than $45k, then SR/SR+ will also be eligible. Then the colour, AP, FSD, freight, etc are not counted towards to this limit.

I just very well be happy to get my SR+ FSD on or after May first :)

Required fees don't seem to matter. For example, you can bet socked up to $3,000 in transportation, preparation, administrative, and dealer fees on a Kona EV, but their vaporware $44,995 + fees +taxes preferred version still qualifies the $55,000 Ultimate version for the rebate.

My order says:

Model 3 - 47,600
Long Range All-Wheel Drive - 19,600
Autopilot - included
FSD - 6,600

What is now price for the EV incentive purpose - 47,600 or the 73,500?

It really is aggravating. You are right re: vaporware on the Preferred version. I'm sure the only model you'll actually be able to buy at a Hyundai dealer will be the Ultimate for many months to come.

This is very simple, if Tesla wants to play with fed gov. Price a Model 3 under, and upgradable via software after sales..

Yes. But given The SR+ has a low profit margin, Tesla needs a way to make the upgrade practically a guarantee.

They should start off with $3k deliver fee to lower MSRP. If you bundle AP, supercharging, 20% range, acceleration, heated seats.

The Kia Niro website also talks about limited availability. Maybe Tesla could do the same with SR

My order says:

Model 3 - 47,600
Long Range All-Wheel Drive - 19,600
Autopilot - included
FSD - 6,600

What is now price for the EV incentive purpose - 47,600 or the 73,500?

$73,500. You are not eligible for the Federal rebate for three reasons :

1) The price (including options) is over the limit of $55,000 for vehicles with five or less seats.

2) Even if you had an SR with no options for $47,600, there's no Model 3 for less than $45,000, so all Model 3s are ineligible.

3) If Teslas were eligible they would change the rules to exclude them. The system is rigged to protect manufacturer and dealer lobbies.

Guys, hate to be the devil's advocate for all of this, but is it really going to even be worth Tesla's time to offer a special Canadian only version of the model 3? I mean, people are buying the car anyway and there is more to offering a 'one off' model than just changing a price code and selling it.

Don't get me wrong, it is stupid how once again Tesla's are excluded....but perhaps part of the government thinking is that there is unprecedented demand for Tesla's right now, so maybe they don't need the extra incentive since people are buying them sans rebate (aside from BC and QC of course).

So, maybe the thinking is if they help out the other manufacturers it helps competition in the market. I mean, demand for the model 3 is orders of magnitude above a bolt, so in theory Tesla's mfg cost should be lower than that of the bolt due to economies of scale (not saying I believe this, but that it may be a thought process that was presented).

Therefore, incentivizing the bolt and not the model 3 allows them to compete and prevent tesla from forming a monopoly....just trying to look at this from a non "everyone has it in for tesla" standpoint....I am the eternal optimist :oops:

Capping incentives based on price only is a BAD policy as it skews demand towards inferior product with lower life expectancy and utility and therefore is highly undesirable for the environment and delays EV adoption.
Teslas are more expensive because of better tech, range and safety. For which they should be rewarded not penalized.

Cars are one of the few items where trickle down economy works since rebate discount is carried over when car is sold as used (except when rebate expires). Therefore argument that rebate should not be afforded to rich does not make any sense. Actually rich usually keep their cars for three years almost guaranteeing that used EV will be available on the market at 30% depreciation- rebate. Which of course makes them accessible to even more people.

Rebates should be attached to the utility of the EV (minimum range, warranty, seating, cargo volume) not how rich the owner is.

All fees and costs related to the purchase or lease of an eligible vehicles, such as freight and delivery charges, should be comparable to those same fees and costs for other vehicles sold by the same automaker. If Transport Canada assesses that an automaker is potentially departing from standard pricing approaches to these fees/costs, Transport Canada reserves the right to withdraw a vehicle from the eligibility list.

• Informative
Reactions: BBone
What pisses me off is that the Libs will give Loblaws $12 million for new fridges, but can't put in a proper (and more impactful) EV program.
This is why people are against the Carbon Tax. The idea is good in theory, but the politicians will just use it as a cash grab and way to give money to their friends and political insiders.

This is why many politicians run for office -- to grease palms when they're there, thereby ensuring they get lots of board appointments when they're done. Most ppl just too dumb to see this. They react to trigger issues (immigrants, religion, or in Doug Ford's case beer and gambling).

This is why many politicians run for office -- to grease palms when they're there, thereby ensuring they get lots of board appointments when they're done. Most ppl just too dumb to see this. They react to trigger issues (immigrants, religion, or in Doug Ford's case beer and gambling).

Exactly. Hence why the system is broken, and leads to things like Trump and Brexit. People vote for that not so much in support of Trump or Brexit but as a big middle finger to the political establishment and corrupt ways.