Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally a convertible EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eating Porsche's lunch didn't really work that well for the S2000 et al. People buying Porsches are going to buy Porsches even if they're slower or more expensive (particularly so since they're a Veblen good). Preaching to the choir I'm sure :)

Will be an interesting car, but I can't help but feel that with a convertible the engine sound really is part of the theatre. If this makes a God awful sound when pushing on, or worse - an entirely simulated one - that would kill it dead for me.
Yes fully agree. Unfortunately EVs lack the engagement of a screaming engine and a just-right double-declutched down shift. But then they make up to a certain extent with effortless torque and hushed commuting. Just depends on what you’re going to use the car for.

Reactions: Durzel
Yes fully agree. Unfortunately EVs lack the engagement of a screaming engine and a just-right double-declutched down shift. But then they make up to a certain extent with effortless torque and hushed commuting. Just depends on what you’re going to use the car for.
I’m still split on this. A foot firmly in both camps.

Some fantastic EVs now coming to market, but before the ban comes in on ICEV I still intend to indulge in the best and probably last of the naturally aspirated dinosaurs (with a clutch). Not as a daily though.

Unfortunately EVs lack the engagement of a screaming engine and a just-right double-declutched down shift.

I've not missed it ... but I may be the only one :)

All that noise was great at the time, I'm happy driving in stealth mode now. The noise is very tiring

ICE: Coming up to corner, there's a straight ahead, change down and get ready ... noise / vibration / anticipation ... Blast! Traffic coming, change back up. Wait for heartrate to stabilise ...

EV: Come round the corner, Blinking Heck! the straight is clear! Press loud (Ahem!) pedal and off we go.

All that noise was great at the time, I'm happy driving in stealth mode now. The noise is very tiring

ICE: Coming up to corner, there's a straight ahead, change down and get ready ... noise / vibration / anticipation ... Blast! Traffic coming, change back up. Wait for heartrate to stabilise ...

EV: Come round the corner, Blinking Heck! the straight is clear! Press loud (Ahem!) pedal and off we go.
Or as happened to me recently..come to A road bend, lorry coming opposite, loud bongs from my S, a big red truck icon on the binnacle display and having to wrench the wheel back from Tesla trying to swerve me into the ditch!
And I wasn't in any tacc or autopilot mode.

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Eating Porsche's lunch didn't really work that well for the S2000 et al. People buying Porsches are going to buy Porsches even if they're slower or more expensive (particularly so since they're a Veblen good). Preaching to the choir I'm sure :)

Will be an interesting car, but I can't help but feel that with a convertible the engine sound really is part of the theatre. If this makes a God awful sound when pushing on, or worse - an entirely simulated one - that would kill it dead for me.
Actually the silence of an EV convertible is the novel magic.
IMG_4387.jpeg

I’m still split on this. A foot firmly in both camps.

Some fantastic EVs now coming to market, but before the ban comes in on ICEV I still intend to indulge in the best and probably last of the naturally aspirated dinosaurs (with a clutch). Not as a daily though.
Yes I’m with you on that. Never letting go of this one, though its not a carbon fiber/hardtop convertible like the other one….
Image 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zilla91 and Sean.

Yes that’s how I feel as well - when I’m commuting. But not when I’m driving on a challenging road - or track.

I notice you only mention blasting out of a corner, but what you didn’t mention is carrying speed into the corner, ripping downshifts, balancing it perfectly to the apex with a trailing brake, adding a touch of oversteer from the rear, and then hearing the howl of all 700 horses to the next corner.

But not during a busy work day - that’s what the Tesla is for.

Last edited:
what you didn’t mention is carrying speed into the corner, ripping downshifts, balancing it perfectly to the apex with a trailing brake, adding a touch of oversteer from the rear, and then hearing the howl of all 700 horses to the next corner

You're right, I didn't - 'coz I don't do that any more. Your terrain may be different, but mine was plenty of blind, or poor viz, bends on country roads. That sort of enthusiastic driving was never compatible with "Stop in half the distance you can see" :) (notwithstanding that I skipped that important mantra up until EV :) ) and now that I have such totally ludicrous acceleration I've adapted to driving at appropriate speed for bend and then head-back coming out of the bend, and I've come to enjoy that. I've definitely changed though (but I now have coming up to 8 years ludicrous EV driving behind me ... and I wasn't young when I got the first EV so add 8 to that :) )

Never letting go of this one,

I thought that too, but I sold my Hooligan after 4 years of MSP driving as "very rarely used"

But I don't drive Track at all (if I did I'd probably have something bonkers for that)

But not during a busy work day - that’s what the Tesla is for.

Yup, agree with that. My Suffolk-to-Bristol business drives are a pleasure now, whereas (didn't realise at the time) they were very tiring BT (before-Tesla)