Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally a convertible EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could do with losing a few pounds. No doubt chopping the roof has necessitated extra bracing / stiffening and the scissor doors mechanism probably won’t help matters.

As I said on another forum, I reckon depending on spec they’ll pitch it at low to mid Boxster money and try and eat Porsches lunch before they get there.

I wonder if this might be different for a dedicated EV design where there is the potential for most of the required strength to be from the floor pan/battery pack? Still heavy but but maybe not more than a hard top.

Yeah - EV's are already skateboards, which is kinda what you have to do for an open-top car. I would imagine you skip the added weight of not having a roof, but are still quite heavy from battery.

It’s about the same size as the current Porsche 911 and weighs about 1,850kg for the single motor and 1,985kg for the dual motor according to Auto Express. To put that weight in perspective the current 911 convertible weighs 1,575kg with the Carrera 4 weighing just 50kg more. In terms of weight it’s more in the ballpark of the Mercedes SL63 which is 1,845kg but that does have a big V8 engine and 577bhp, not a huge amount more power than the dual motor Cyberster at 536bhp (the single motor is 309bhp).

On a more general point there have been accusations of MG’s parent company SAIC using forced labour at their Xinjiang plant, which is a joint venture with VW. VW deny this is the case, but the accusations persist. I’d wouldn’t be buying an MG until those accusations are properly resolved.

On a more general point there have been accusations of MG’s parent company SAIC using forced labour at their Xinjiang plant, which is a joint venture with VW. VW deny this is the case, but the accusations persist. I’d wouldn’t be buying an MG until those accusations are properly resolved.
Similar accusations probably apply to anything China made even if it’s further up the supply line (raw steel etc). Remember the accusations levied against work ethics in Freemont with exhausted staff? That EM is prepared to work himself to those levels doesn't excuse him demanding everyone else does... why he gets followed around by private security...

Could do with losing a few pounds. No doubt chopping the roof has necessitated extra bracing / stiffening and the scissor doors mechanism probably won’t help matters.

As I said on another forum, I reckon depending on spec they’ll pitch it at low to mid Boxster money and try and eat Porsches lunch before they get there.
Eating Porsche's lunch didn't really work that well for the S2000 et al. People buying Porsches are going to buy Porsches even if they're slower or more expensive (particularly so since they're a Veblen good). Preaching to the choir I'm sure :)

Will be an interesting car, but I can't help but feel that with a convertible the engine sound really is part of the theatre. If this makes a God awful sound when pushing on, or worse - an entirely simulated one - that would kill it dead for me.

Reactions: 12Pack