Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got my Modern Spare stored!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After thinking about this for way too long, I started exploring how to do this today (inspired by other threads and YouTube videos). Before I knew it, I had completed the modification and storage of the Modern Spare. I am pretty happy I got this done.

Attachments

• PXL_20230130_231734338.jpg
    PXL_20230130_231734338.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 708
  • PXL_20230130_231605322.jpg
    PXL_20230130_231605322.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 542
  • PXL_20230130_231617253.jpg
    PXL_20230130_231617253.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 545
I’m sorry but what did you do to make it fit? I can’t tell from the pictures.
Sorry I didn't take more detailed pictures. I removed the two side pieces near the floor panels, then removed the sub trunk carpeting. That allowed me to cut out a semicircle in the smaller section closer to the rear seats. I cut the carpeting and foam just enough to let the tire fit. Then I cut the corners of the sub trunk section to allow it to fold down over the section near the rear seats. If that makes sense. From there I got a tie down strap and drilled holes in it, and used the two bolts holding down the sub trunk bucket to secure the straps. Then put everything back together. The panel near the rear seats is not perfectly flat, but when I put the floor mat over it, it works great! Let me know if you want more pictures. I may be able to take it apart tomorrow and take some.

• Informative
Reactions: JKad and zoomer0056
Anybody know what the range decrease of this might be? (from increased weight)

Thanks for the info although every time I think about carrying a spare just the extra storage space loss is enough to make me decide to just call someone for the few times in my life were I have had a flat. I do carry an air pump and have used that to get to tire repair place. I guess if you regularly have flats or travel places you can get a mobile service promptly.

Anybody know what the range decrease of this might be? (from increased weight)

Thanks for the info although every time I think about carrying a spare just the extra storage space loss is enough to make me decide to just call someone for the few times in my life were I have had a flat. I do carry an air pump and have used that to get to tire repair place. I guess if you regularly have flats or travel places you can get a mobile service promptly.
I haven't actually measured range decrease, and given the many variables such as wind, elevation, etc., that would likely be difficult.

I think about it more in terms of number of people in the car. How much range decrease is caused by a spouse or kids? The weight of a spare tire, extension cords, or other things is likely nowhere near the weight of a person. So, I don't really worry about it. Also, I'm not pushing the car to 300 miles between charges so it isn't a huge factor *for me*.

If I were going to be doing a long road trip in a charging desert then more planning would be required. And I would also want the spare with me in that situation.

I'm not advocating for/against either option. Just sharing what I did.

I need to look at my trunk and compare it to your pictures to get an idea of what you had to do from your descriptions. nevertheless that’s a nice job.
Thank you. Please share the pictures of your trunk, along with the model year. I have a friend who is interested that just got a 2023 MY. She's a new owner and I'm not if this will work on her car.

Reactions: JKad