Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally!!!! Tesla installing BioWeapon Defense Mode for non PUP owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you all who added this yourselves going to do? I bought the filter separately about a year ago and installed it myself. I don't have BWD button, which doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering if buying this kind of makes sure Tesla will support the filter and replace it when needed. Last I heard was that this filter doesn't ever need to be replaced? I'm not sure that makes sense to me, but it had seemed to me replacement of cabin filters is part of annual maintenance, but not the HEPA filter.
I bought the filter from the SC last year for $175 and added it myself. Obviously no BWD button, but no big deal. Claims by the SC that it won't fit or will burn something out are absolute rubbish. They simply don't know any better and they don't care to find out.

I might upgrade later on this year once my HEPA is over a year old. It's probably good for longer than that, but I'll at least feel like I've had it long enough.

Has anyone had them installed yet ?
Mine was installed in the Bay Area by a Mobile Service tech last week. His orders were quite unclear (he thought he was replacing an existing HEPA filter), but after some calls, he figured it out and installed the new filter in place of the existing placeholder and did some tricks with the computer to make it show the bioweapon "button". Note that his order showed I owed about $320 (which I am guessing is the cost of the new filter + install), so we can pretty safely assume the remaining $180 is the privilege of getting the feature! Oh well, I am happy to officially have the choice at least now.

I paid for the feature in my Model S and personally it was a waste of money since I cant use it You can only activate it with the fan on high speed and then it makes way too much noise. Why you cant use it on lower speeds I have no idea,

I paid for the feature in my Model S and personally it was a waste of money since I cant use it You can only activate it with the fan on high speed and then it makes way too much noise. Why you cant use it on lower speeds I have no idea,

I think that’s true of the button... but the whole idea of the bio weapon button is that it creates positive pressure in the cabin and needs full speed captain to do this. However even on low speeds the air is still drawn through the hepa filter.

I also find the button useless as you say has to be full speed and in your face rather than any other direction but all air comes through the hepa so the button is mostly a gimmic

Unless I’m wrong andbhappy to be proven so but lookin at the intake of the fan I don’t think I am?

Reactions: Seattle Tom
I think that’s true of the button... but the whole idea of the bio weapon button is that it creates positive pressure in the cabin and needs full speed captain to do this. However even on low speeds the air is still drawn through the hepa filter.

I also find the button useless as you say has to be full speed and in your face rather than any other direction but all air comes through the hepa so the button is mostly a gimmic

Unless I’m wrong andbhappy to be proven so but lookin at the intake of the fan I don’t think I am?

“The bio defense button is designed to allow clean medical-grade air into the cabin and keep contaminated air out. When deployed, it pushes the system into full fresh mode, pulling all HVAC air through the HEPA filter. The fan goes to max speed 11, pulling in enough air to slightly pressurize the cabin, keeping other air from entering the vehicle”

Maybe someone can explain this better... This seems to make me think that when the item is not activated that air is brought into the cabin from different sources such as outside air as well but only when activated all air is pushed through the HEPA filter. I would love some clarification.

Marketing hype......

Turn circulate off and fan speed to 11... you got DIY bio mode.

This has been debated at length and in fact some SC’s have even told customers there is special stuff “not just a filter”

All I will say is look at the parts catalogue, you’ll see that there is one fan and one intake for the air. Regardless of bio weapon mode the air comes in through the massive opening behind the frunk via the pollen filter then out to you I think this is why most people just fit the filter alone as you get the same benefit just no fancy button

Yup, agree with above few posts. The HEPA filter is always in use - the button is for those times when you don’t want outside air leaking in the cabin so a dedicated button turns the fan speed up. You could accomplish the same by turning the fan speed up manually.

That said, I bought it, because I wanted the big HEPA filter and the coolness factor of having the Bioweapon icon on my screen can’t be overstated. My wife disagrees of course, but she is a woman and is sensible, so I’ve discounted her opinion appropriately.