Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing M3 + Trade - Confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trading my current vehicle, placing a deposit and financing the remaining balance with my financial institution. Simple enough, car has been appraised by Carmax and Tesla have agreed to match the price. Here's the issue Tesla have asked 5 times so far for the title, I keep telling them I owe a few grand on the car I don't have the title. They need to talk to my bank. So I send them the details for my bank and they come back saying "your car is paid off " my bank is like nope you owe $3,000. How can Tesla possibly mess up something this simple? I could just go ahead and pay it off and get the title but since I'm less than two weeks from delivery I didn't want to risk any delays with the lien being removed or paying $100 for a paper title.

Anyone else had issues with their trade and Tesla. I get the distinct feeling that I'm not dealing with professionals in their trades department. Every dealership I've ever worked with knew what they where at and could do this blind folded 5 minutes before closing time.

I got fed up dealing with Tesla trade in. Its not worth delaying the delivery of your Model 3 just to trade in to Tesla. You have the offer from CarMax and now know about what to expect to get from your vehicle. If you can swing the extra up front cost, just get your 3 then trade in your old car to CarMax after taking delivery.

Mine went smoothly.
You are 2 weeks away so have you been assigned a Delivery Advisor yet?
they are a different contact from your Owner Advisor (sales rep)

Think they text you to introduce themselves.
Once I got mine, the stuff like this got resolved fast they were able to get the financials updated quickly unlike anyone else there.

if you don't have one yet, wait a little longer if you have one ; make sure it is them you are communicating with.

LukelekeT's suggestion is valid but if the OP lives in a state where sales tax is not applied to trade in value including remaining amount owned the tax difference between trading into Tesla compared to selling to CarMax can be significant.

Sounds like the trade in with Tesla is going to be a pain. We are doing a lease so I am thinking about taking lukeleleT's advice and just selling the car to CarMax. We have sold to them before and it was painless. And sounds like the Model 3 lease will be cleaner.