Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing options.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to finance my Tesla. Looking for a great rate. I appreciate any information.
Tesla will give you 2.49% for up to 72 months usually. You can also get DCU for 1.24% for up to 65 months (Not a bad re-if option — this is what I’m doing).

After that it would be PenFed for 1.99% for 72 months I think, or USAA for 1.89% if you have that available to you.

Upvote 0
For those of you that used a third party lender, what was the process like. Did you buy using the “cash” option and then secure financing, or did you use the lending option and then somehow specify a third party lender in the purchase process?
Best way to do it is to set the transaction as Cash until you have a VIN. Once you have a VIN switch it to third party financing and they will give you a MVPA that calls out exactly how much you are financing and with who. Your lender will need this to generate the loan/issue payment. Then just have them send payment to you or to Tesla.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
I have a great credit score. I still couldn't get financed with even with a large down payment. I had to get outside financing. I think Tesla finance is more strict than a lot of other places.

Good luck.
What about your FICO 6 score? Auto loans don't look at the same general scores that have have access to.

A FICO 8 can usually give you an idea of your score

Upvote 0
This is another warning about DCU referral threads.

TMC does not allow those (which is why all the threads are closed / others have been deleted).

Due to people ignoring that fact, and because we are aware that there is a financial incentive (which may be driving why people are ignoring this fact) there will be temp bans applied to repeat offenders.

Upvote 0
HELP!
DCU vs Navy Federal Credit Union.
I would like to finance due to cheap money.
I realize rates have been raised recently

I spent over six hours over a period of five weeks just to get an account with DCU OMG, I think I uploaded everything but my underwear size.
And they don't accept deposit routings from PNC bank. And they don't accept deposits from credit cards that are not listed at your home address.
And every time you call them, you either wait over an hour or get a callback and have to start over with the new person.

So two weeks ago, I was told by DCU that my loan was approved. (2.25%) for 65 months.

I keep calling. What's next? Send a check? No response.

I got back from overseas and called again. I should say waited for a call again. Now they want more info from my Tesla purchase document. Never hear about this before. No communication.

So I uploaded the info. The Representative said my new rate will be 2.74% minus the 0.25 discount for EV or 2.49% for 72 mo. and they will mail the check to Tesla. Asked why I didn't get the 2.25% rate which was the rate when my loan was approved. Don't go there!

I have an approved loan with Navy Federal Credit Union for 2.49% for 60 months instead of the DCU 72 mo. Navy Federal is down the block and I can pick up the check from them and take it to the dealer.

I explained to the DCU rep that Tesla is very strict about picking up your care within three days after it arrives. He didn't seem to care and said they overnight a check to Tesla.

At this point, I have an MYP en route between 27-31 May with a VIN. I have yet to be notified of a delivery date. And no firm commitment from DCU. With all the hassles I have had with them, I am very concerned about finishing out the process with them? Any experiences or thoughts?

Here's my plan. What do you think?
1) Continue the process with DCU and hope they get a check to Tesla on time to benefit from the lower payment. So far they have really been a PIA.
2) If DCU doesn't come thru, swing over to Navy Federal and pick up the check before taking delivery.
Another thought, should I swing by Navy Fed and see if they will match DCUs offer.

Would appreciate knowing if others have had the same hassles with DCU? And especially if those hassles continue.

Upvote 0
I just submitted through tesla app for tesla financing. Got approved instantly for Wells Fargo 3.24% 48 months.
In March I was approved for 2.74% through Tesla financing with US Bank, but unfortunately that expired... and now rates are up.

My experience was smoooth just going through tesla. No check to deposit, just seamless.

Reactions: NikkiLynn
Upvote 0